Passports for Infants/Newborn Baby in India
The passport application process is streamlined enough in India, and most people travelling abroad are intricately familiar with it. Nevertheless, when it comes to acquiring an infant passport, some confusion persists among the masses.
What is a newborn passport? How do you get one for your child?
If you have these questions and more in mind, keep reading. The following write-up should answer all of your queries about infant passports in India.
How to Apply for a Passport for an Infant/New-born?
Before understanding the various steps involved when applying for a passport for a newborn baby in India, one must understand what this document entails.
The first thing any parent would need to know is the age limitations for infant passports. If your child is younger than 4 years at the time of application, he/she is eligible to acquire this document. Only parents or legal guardians can apply on their behalf.
Application for a passport for a newborn baby in India involves online and offline procedures. You can choose to approach the same through any of the two processes. You can find both the online and offline procedures listed below.
Apply for an Online Passport for Newborns
If you have decided to apply for a passport online for your newborn, here is the step-by-step you need to follow –
- Step 1: Visit the Passport Seva Kendra website.
- Step 2: Register an account on this portal by providing accurate information. Validate this account using the link that is sent to your email ID.
- Step 3: Log in to this PSK account with your credentials.
- Step 4: Choose from Alternative 1 or Alternative 2 of online passport application. The first option allows for online form fill-up, while the second option allows you to download this form and fill it up at your own leisure.
- Step 5: You can submit the online form directly under Alternative 1. If you chose Alternative 2, you would need to save the filled up form in XML format. Then upload it in the same section where you chose the Alternative 2 option.
- Step 6: Pay the associated application fee and book a slot.
This concludes the online passport process for infants.
However, if this isn’t your cup of tea, the government also allows for offline applications.
Apply for an Offline Passport for Newborns
While not all Passport Seva Kendras allow for walk-in applications in the case of adult passports, this facility is available for minor and infant passports. Therefore, here is the offline procedure –
- Step 1: Visit your concerned Passport Seva Kendra/Post Office Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Office.
- Step 2: Fill up the application form with relevant details.
- Step 3: Submit all necessary documents alongside the filled up form.
- Step 4: Clear the applicable fees to complete an infant passport application.
Now that you know how and where to apply for an infant passport, you must also know about the various documents necessary for this process’s completion.
Passport Documents Required for a Newborn Baby
The infant passport process remains incomplete without proper document submission. Here are some of the vital passport documents for a newborn baby in India –
- The respective municipal corporation issues the concerned child's birth certificate.
- Address proof, where one of the parents’ passports is considered valid proof.
- Passport-sized photographs of the child in question constitute another important infant passport document in India.
- Filled up Annexure H form collected from Passport Seva Kendra.
- Arrangement receipt
The Fee Structure for Application of an Infant Passport
Besides knowing the documents needed for an infant passport, understanding the fee structure is also crucial.
Generally, the passport application fee for a minor in India is ₹1000. However, a government directive effective from 24th June 2017 allows for a 10% discount on this applicable fee if the applicant is younger than 8 years. Therefore, for infants, the passport application fee would be ₹900.
Processing Time for Infant Passport Applications
Infant passport processing times can vary based on a few factors. After a successful application, parents/guardians should receive an affirmation receipt or notification. Generally, the passport is dispatched to the concerned address within 4-7 days after this affirmation.
Under certain circumstances, getting your newborn’s passport is of the utmost importance. At such times, you should be ready with all the necessary know-how. We hope this article has helped you find what you were looking for!