Driving Licence in Delhi
Get a Mandatory Motor Insurance for your Vehicle and avoid Heavy Penalty.
- Hyundai I10
- Hyundai Santro Xing
- Hyundai Elite I20
- Maruti Suzuki Wagon R
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Maruti Suzuki Alto
- Ford Figo
- Volkswagen Polo
- Recent years
- New Car
- Honda Activa
- Bajaj Pulsar
- Suzuki Access
- TVS Jupiter
- Yamaha Fazer
- Bajaj Avenger
- Royal Enfield Classic
- TVS Apache
- Honda Cb Shine
- Honda Activa
- Bajaj Avenger
- Bajaj Pulsar
- Yamaha Alpha
- Yamaha Fazer
- Recent years
- New bike
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Delhi?
Delhi is the capital city of India and is counted amongst the metropolitan cities. The population is whopping and traffic on the roads in chock-full. The situation automatically makes driving least preferred but unavoidable. Delhi is a hub of many multinationals, colleges, and other educational institutes. Moreover, it is the center of many government offices. All this makes driving an inescapable activity but at the same time, the fact contributes to traffic congestion.
For driving we all know, every person would need a driving licence. When in Delhi, let us know the procedure to apply for a driving licence. But before that, we should also understand the importance of a driver’s licence- in the first place
Your Driving Licence is the legal permission you receive from the state government to drive a category of the vehicle within the defined territorial boundaries. Driving any vehicle without a valid Driving Licence can force the traffic authorities to immediately impose heavy fines as per the new act that is effective from 1st of September, 2019. In the worst case, when individuals do not show a responsible attitude, then the licence can be canceled permanently. The idea is to make every individual who drives, cautious for the traffic and humans on the road.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Driving Licence in Delhi
- You must be 18 years or above.
- You must be aware of the basic traffic rules to clear the test.
- You must possess a valid learner’s licence for eligible for 30 days.
- You must apply for a permanent licence after 30 days of receiving a valid learner’s licence but before 180 days from the date of issuance of Learner’s Licence.
Types of Driving Licences issued in Delhi
- DL for two-wheelers without gears: It will include vehicles like Mopeds or scooters.
- DL for two-wheelers with gears: It include all the vehicles that have gear. Like bikes, scooters, etc.
- DL for light motor vehicles: This type of DL is issued for cars like hatchback, sedan,etc.
- DL for transport vehicles: As the name suggests, this type of DL will be for trucks, vans, and buses.
- DL for motor vehicles of a specified description: This type of Driving Licence is issued for the specified category.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Delhi
Proof of the genuinity makes it easy for the authorities to provide the driving licence. Some documents that are needed for Driving Licence in Delhi include:
- Driving Licence Application Form-4 available both online and offline.
- 6 passport size photographs.
- Residence Proof like a copy of ration card, voter’s id, copy of passport, or LIC policy that may be older than 6 months at least.
- Age Proof like educational certificate, birth certificate, or 10th class marksheet.
- Copy of valid learner’s licence.
- Copy of PAN card.
- Receipt of the payment fees of Rs.400/- paid for DL.
Application Procedure for Driving Licence in Delhi
Earlier the process of applying for driving licence was only offline. But thanks to technology, driving licence can be applied for online too!
The procedure is generally divided into two stages, first you apply and get the learner’s licence and in the second stage you get your permanent driving licence. Let us look at the steps under each stage.
Steps to apply for a Learner's Licence
- To apply online, visit the website http://transport.delhi.gov.in. Find out the form/s to apply for DL. Fill the form and submit it online along with other relevant documents.
- Alternatively, visit the Delhi RTO to fill the form in person. Ask for Form 4, fill it and submit the form along with other documents.
- After submission of the form whether online or offline, you will receive an application number. This number will be needed at the time of the test. You will also be provided a slot for the preliminary test. This test will be conducted to evaluate the knowledge of traffic signals, rules and regulations.
- Appear for the test and if you clear it, then a learner’s licence will be issued immediately.
- Post this, choose a time slot to appear for the driving test at the RTO office.
- Make a payment of Rs.400/ as fees of DL and keep a record the confirmation receipt.
Steps for Permanent Driving Licence
- You should visit the RTO office on the date of the driving test 30 days after you receive the learner’s licence,. The test will be conducted in the presence of Motor Vehicle Inspector. Take your motor vehicle for the test.
- If the Motor Vehicle Inspector is satisfied with the performance, you will be sent for the biometrics.
- After this, a permanent Driving Licence will be issued.
Check the Application Status of Driving Licence in Delhi
You can log in to the website of Delhi Transport Authority to check the status of your Driving Licence. You can enter application number and Date of birth to check for the status.
How to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Delhi?
Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in case the original driving certificate gets stolen or lost. But before you apply for a duplicate DL, you need to intimate the R.T.O authority about the loss and file and F.I.R to the nearest police station. The individual will have to get an affidavit of declaration stating that the Driving Licence is lost.
Documents needed for a duplicate licence:
- Application form duly filled and signed.
- A Copy of complaint, F.I.R, and an affidavit.
- Challan clearance report from Delhi Traffic Police.
- Form No.1
- Self Attested copy of proof of residence.
- The fees receipt of Rs.400/- for duplicate licence.
- A fitness certificate form.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence:
- Fill in the application form for the Duplicate Licence.
- Submit all the documents.
After the verification of the document is complete, you will receive a Duplicate Driving Licence within few days. The process to apply for a duplicate licence should be completed within 6 months after the loss of original DL.
How to apply for the renewal of a Driving Licence in Delhi?
In general, a driving licence issued in Delhi is valid for 20 years. But if you reach the age of 50 years before the completion of 20 years, then the renewal should be processed immediately.
Similar to an insurance policy, it is wise to plan the renewal 30 days before to get the driving licence renewed.
Documents needed for Renewal of the Driving Licence:
- Application Form 9 duly filled and signed.
- A copy of the expired original driver's licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver is more than 40 years.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fees of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for the renewal of the DL:
- To get the licence renewed, visit the RTO website. Select the tab to request the renewal.
- Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Delhi.
- Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
Application Procedure to get International Driving Licence in Delhi
If you wish to drive a vehicle overseas, then you must first acquire an International Driving Licence. Though the Driving Licence issued by the Indian Government is valid in many countries but is not approved by all. To get an IDL, you can visit the nearest RTO and submit the required information. The RTO will ask for some documents like:
- Filled and signed application Form 4 for an IDL.
- A Copy of Valid Driving Licence.
- Copy of Passport and Visa. The passport should be valid for a period of 1 year from the date of application of an IDL.
- Fee Receipt for Rs.1000/-.
- Identity and Residence Proof.
- 5 passport size photographs.
- Medical certificate.
- Air Ticket Preferably.
RTO Offices in Delhi where you can apply for Driving Licence
You can apply for driving licence in Delhi at any of the following location:
- Deputy Director Zonal Office-Central Delhi, ISBT, Sarai Kale Khan, New Delhi.
- Deputy Director Zonal Office – Office of The Z T O, Vasant Vihar, South West Delhi, New Delhi
- South-West District – DTC Depot, Vasant Vihar
- South-West District – B-Block, Community Centre 1st Floor, Janakpuri