Driving Licence in Kolkata
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Kolkata?
The city of Kolkata still witnesses old modes of transportation like the old-school rickshaw which is still pulled by hands. But with the change of time, the roads are filled with multiple cars and two-wheelers, amongst other vehicles. The Regional Transport Office looks after the safe public transport system. If you live in Kolkata and want to ride a bike, or drive a car- the first thing you’ll need is your driver’s licence, as per the law held by the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Driving Licence in Kolkata
- You need to be at least 18 years of age if you want to ride a vehicle with gears.
- You need to be at least 16 years of age for a vehicle without gears.
- You need to be at least 20 years of age, in the case of commercial vehicles.
- You should be well aware of your city’s traffic rules and violations
- You need to first apply and have a valid learner’s licence, post which you’ll receive your driver’s licence (if you pass the tests, of course!)
Types of Driving Licences issued in Kolkata
- Licence for motorcycles with or without gears.
- Light Motor Vehicles that includes all cars- Sedans, Hatchbacks, etc.
- Medium goods and passengers vehicles.
- Heavy goods and passengers vehicles.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Kolkata
- Driving Licence Application form-4 available both online and offline.
- 6 passport size photographs for learner’s licence and 1 for permanent DL.
- Address Proof like ration card, voter’s id, copy of passport, or LIC policy that may be older than 6 months at least.
- Age Proof-like educational certificate, birth certificate, or 10th class mark sheet.
- Copy of valid learner’s licence.
- Copy of PAN card.
- Receipt of the payment fees.
Application Procedure for Driving Licence in Kolkata
The application procedure for Driving Licence is divided into two stages,
- Learner’s Licence and
- Driving Licence.
Steps to apply for a Learner's Licence
- Visit the website of road transport ministry and click on “Online Services” and select “Driving Licence Related Services” from the drop-down. Then Select “West Bengal” as the state. A form will be provided, fill that with all the valid information and submit with relevant documents. A web application number will be generated which you should probably note down for your reference.
- You also have the option to visit the RTO and apply for your Learner’s Licence in person. After filling the form, either online or offline, you can pay the fees of Rs.151/- plus Rs.50 for the test.
- The RTO officials will then give you a time slot to take a basic test that evaluates your knowledge of traffic rules. If you clear the test, you can immediately get the learner’s licence. But if you fail, you will have to apply again and retake the test.
- You can then book a slot for the driving test to be taken for DL.
Steps for Permanent Driving Licence
- For the permanent driving licence, you will have to take a driving test on the date of the slot booked. Your slot will be scheduled 30 days after you receive the learner’s licence. The test will be conducted in the presence of a Motor Vehicle Inspector. You will have to take your motor vehicle and learner’s licence for the test.
- If the Motor Vehicle Inspector is satisfied with your performance, you will be sent for the biometrics.
- Pay your fees of Rs.200/-
- After this, you will be issued your permanent Driving Licence.
Check the Application Status of Driving Licence in Kolkata
To check the status of your Driving Licence, visit the website https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/. and enter the name of your state. You will be further redirected for the information on the application status. Simply enter your application number and Date of birth to check your status.
Tips to help you to get a Driving Licence
- You will have to drive a motor vehicle on an ‘S’ or ‘H’ shaped track depending on the type of vehicle you want to drive. So it will be wise if you practice it well.
- Appear for the driving test with confidence.
- Do not give the test when you are under the effect of alcohol.
- Be aware of the traffic signals.
- Using the side mirrors and indicators will always help.
- Make sure you press the gears smoothly and that the vehicle does not turn off in the middle of the test when you are driving.
How to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Kolkata?
You would need a Duplicate Driving Licence when they happen to lose or misplace their original document. The matter is of utter importance because you will not be allowed to drive a vehicle on the roads without a valid licence.
So, if DL is stolen or it might get lost, the important thing you should do on an immediate basis is to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence. But do not forget to lodge an F.I.R and a complaint to RTO. You should also get it written and get the affidavit as an important document.
Documents needed for a duplicate licence:
- Application form duly filled and signed.
- A Copy of complaint, F.I.R, and an affidavit.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Proof of residence.
- The fees receipt of Rs.200/- for a duplicate licence.
- Medical Certificate Form 1A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence:
- Fill in the application form for the Duplicate Licence. You can apply online through parivahan.gov.in. The form to apply for a Duplicate Licence can be downloaded from the website of Kolkata Regional Transport Office
- Submit all the documents along with the fees.
- The documents will further be verified by the officials. If they approve your application, you will receive the DL in just a few days.
Remember that the application for the duplicate licence should be made within 6 months.
How to apply for the renewal of a Driving Licence in Kolkata?
You must plan and get the licence renewal well in time. In general, a driving licence is valid for 20 years or up to 50 years of age whichever is earlier. A Driving Licence issued for a commercial vehicle is valid for 3 years.
Documents needed for Renewal of the Driving Licence:
- Copy of expired driver's licence.
- Medical certificate if the driver is more than 40 years.
- Application form 9.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fees of Rs.250/- and receipt.
- Form 1 and Form 1A for medical fitness if your age is above 50 years.
Steps to apply for the renewal of the DL:
- To get the licence renewed, you will have to visit the RTO website. Select the tab to request the renewal.
- Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.250/-.
- Submit the necessary documents so that the authority can process your request faster. These documents required will be the same as were needed for the new licence along with the copy of the expired licence.
Application Procedure to get International Driving Licence in Kolkata
You need to have an IDL if you wish to drive abroad. To get an IDL, you can visit the nearest RTO and submit the required information. The RTO will ask for some documents as mentioned but IDL will always work in conjunction with the original Driving Licence.
While driving whether, within the Indian boundaries or abroad, it will be wise if you act wisely to avoid penalties and fines. Here is what you can do:
- Abide by traffic rules.
- Wear seat belts.
- Do not rush or break the signals.
- Avoid drinking and driving.
RTO Offices where you can apply for a Driving Licence in Kolkata
- Barsat RTO: Barsat Kolkata West Bengal. 700124
- Alipore RTO: 25, Belvedere Road, Alipore, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700027
- Road Transport Corporation, Entally, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700014
- Road Transport Corporation, 17, Tarachand Dutta Street, Burrabazar, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700073