How to Apply for a Voter ID Correction?
A voter ID card serves as an essential document for identity and address proof. Hence, it is necessary to correct any errors in information such as your name, address, date of birth etc., to avoid inconvenience in future. Continue reading to check the procedures for voter ID correction online and offline.
How to Apply for an Election Card Correction
Prospective voters can opt for voter ID correction online to change their name, address and other information in voter ID cards. Each step is divided into three heads to change an applicant's – name, address and date of birth. Let's take a look at each of them.
Steps to Change Name in Voter ID Card Online
Take a look at the following steps on how to change the name on the voter ID card online:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of NVSP or the National Voters Services Portal. Register yourself to the portal by entering your user name and password. Login in case you are an existing member.
- Step 2: Select "Correction in Electors Details" and click on Form 8.
- Step 3: You will be redirected to another page and enter the following details -
- Your Parliamentary Constituency or State Assembly
- Type your name, age, gender, and part number of the electoral roll
- Enter the information about your family members, such as a spouse, father or mother
- Write your residential address
- Step 4: Upload the necessary documents such as PAN card, passport etc.
- Step 5: Select the "My Name" tab to change or edit your incorrect or misspelt name. Enter your residential city, date, and contact details such as – email ID and mobile number.
- Step 6: Verify all the details and submit to update the election card.
Once your application is processed and verified, you will get a notification on your registered mobile number. Accordingly, collect it from your nearest electoral office.
Steps to Change Address in Voter ID Card Online
Have you shifted to a new constituency and wondered how to change address in voter id card", don't fret. Follow the simple steps mentioned below:
- Step 1: Log in to the NVSP portal. Select the tab "Apply online for registration of new voter/due to shifting from AC" and choose Form 6 if you have currently shifted to a new constituency.
- Step 2: Select Form 8A if you have shifted from a residential area to another within the same constituency.
- Step 3: Fill in the respective forms with necessary information such as name, constituency, state, date of birth etc. Provide your contact details such as mobile number, email Id etc.
- Step 4: Upload relevant documents such as the Aadhaar card, PAN card etc. Submit the form along with the relevant documents.
- Step 5: Select the declaration option. Type the captcha and submit.
Steps to Change Date of Birth in Voter ID Card Online
Here's how you can change your date of birth on voter ID online by accessing the NVSP portal -
Step 1: Once you log in to the portal, select Form 8.
Step 2: Enter your name, information related to Parliamentary Constituency or State or District Assembly. Other information includes:
- EPIC or Elector's Photo Identity Card Number.
- Select the option that you want to update, In this case, your date of birth.
- Enter your correct date of birth and provide documents such as an Aadhaar card for age proof.
Step 3: Select the declaration option and submit.
Additionally, you can also opt for voter ID correction via Voter Portal. It is a government portal where applicants can register their name in the electoral roll or change the information on a voter ID card.
You need to create an account to access it. Once you log in, opt for "Correction in Voter ID". Other steps are similar to the ones mentioned above.
How to Do Voter ID Correction Offline?
Applicants without internet access can change all the information mentioned above by visiting the electoral office. Ask for Form 8, 8A, or 6. You can also download it from the official website of NVSP.
Here are steps on how can you download it -
- Visit the NVSP portal. Click "Forms".
- Select "State". Now navigate to the section "Download" and select "Forms".
- Download the required forms – Form 6, 8, or 8A
Fill in the mandatory fields such as your name, age, constituency, etc. Submit it to the respective electoral office along with the supporting documents. This includes an Aadhaar card, passport etc.
Important Documents Required for Voter ID Correction
Submit the following documents for voter ID correction -
To Change Name on Voter ID Card:
- PAN card
- Government gazette
To Change Address on voter ID card:
- Aadhaar card
- Driving licence
- Government-issued identity card
- Electricity or telephone bills
- Ration card
To Change the Date of Birth:
- Your mark sheet of class 5, 8 (if it contains the information about your DOB), 10 or 12
- Birth certificate issued from the school or by the Municipal Authorities or Registrar of births and deaths
- Baptism certificates
Note: Birth certificates issued by Municipal Corporation or registrar of births and dates are only accepted for individuals born on or after 26.01.1989.
Why and When Do You Need to Opt for Voter ID Correction?
A voter ID card allows casting your votes during the election. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, it is also a necessary identity proof. Hence, any errors on it can lead to inconvenience. For example, if you have shifted from one constituency to another for your work, opt for voter ID correction online or offline as per your convenience.
How to Check Voter ID Correction Status?
Once you have applied for voter ID correction, you will receive a reference number. Use it to track your application status for voter ID correction -
- Step 1: Visit the official website of NVSP. Click "Track Application Status" mentioned below.
- Step 2: Enter the reference id and select "Track Status" to view the application status.
Applicants can also track the application status for voter ID correction by calling 1950. (applicable for BSNL or MTNL telephones).
You can also track the status via Voter Portal with two simple steps -
- Registered members can track the status by selecting "Track Status".
- Enter the reference number to view the application status.
Thus, this is all about voter ID correction. Make sure to verify all the details before submitting the form. Additionally, keep the documents handy for a smooth application process.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to receive the updated voter ID card?
It approximately takes 2 to 3 weeks to receive your updated voter ID card.
How many details can you correct in a single form?
You can request to change a maximum of three details. However, there are two guidelines you need to follow:
- You cannot change name and address together
- You cannot change the address and relative name together
What is a relative name in voter ID? Can you change it?
Relative name in voter ID means your close relative's name, such as father, mother or spouse. Yes, you can change such details by filling in Form 8 either online or offline.