Indicators are the universal language for all drivers to notify others of what their intentions are and where they wish to go. Road safety states that indicators should always be used as a means of non-verbal communication, so it is clear for others who are also sharing the road to understand what the intent of the driver is.
The usage of indicators while making a turn, parking for a certain period, changing lanes or overtaking is mandatory for all drivers. The correct use of indicators by all drivers around the world helps in reducing accidents.
Indicators are not only restricted to the right and left indicators. Indicators can also be in the form of really easy hand gestures that everyone can understand and follow. All indicators are established to make driving safer.
What’s the Right Time to Use Car Indicators
Indicators have to be used by all drivers under a series of occasions to make others who are driving on the same road aware of where they intend to go or what they intend to do. These indicators are used to let others know in advance of their next step so as to not cause any inconvenience. Some of the times when indicators need to be used by drivers include:
- When turning towards left or right on any road, the indicator must point to the direction of the turn to let other cars know their intentions beforehand. If the indicator system did not exist then accidents would occur on a frequent basis due to others not knowing where cars intend to go.
- Roundabouts require drivers to indicate the side that they are getting on and to indicate when they are about to exit.
- Before drivers take a U-turn with their car, they must indicate that they are turning beforehand so that other drivers may pass by.
- Drivers who wish to change lanes or make a turn must indicate before they want to do so. Through indicating the change of lanes, other drivers slow down their pace or make room for the vehicle to pass.
- Drivers who want to overtake other cars must indicate the direction from where they are overtaking so that other vehicles which are behind them know their intentions and give them the way.
Indicators need to be given by a driver well beforehand so that other cars have time to adjust their course accordingly. For a person driving on a public road they should give their indicators 200-300ft before any turn while for those who are driving on the highway, indicators should be given 800-900ft before a turn. Last moment indications and turns by an automobile are the cause for traffic jams, confusions and even road accidents that could be easily avoided.
Other Indicators and Their Significant Meaning
Many use the term indicators and the right and left turn sign interchangeably. Besides the right and left turn, there are also other significant indicators that can be used by drivers to state their purpose and their intentions while driving and off-driving as well.
One of the most common indicators that is permanently installed in all cars is the stop indicator. The tail lights of a car are pressed when the break of a car is pressed. This is an indicator for other drivers who are behind the said car to slow their pace and completely stop. The tail lights are an indicator that the car is not moving either due to traffic, for due to an obstacle or for any other reason.
For moments when cars break down in the middle of the road or when cars have a tire punctured, the hazard sign is put on top of the vehicle as an indicator for other vehicles to pass by. This sign is dispatched with every vehicle, and all four wheeler vehicle owners are required to have this sign in their vehicles in the event of an emergency. The hazard sign is a red triangle which glows brightly when light shines on it.
For everyone who is driving on the road, it is important for them to keep note of their indicators. This is also true for two-wheeler vehicles and other forms of transport. Simple hand gestures also work as indicators for when cars are not equipped with indicators, or it is difficult for others to see the indicators. Most drivers of heavyweight trucks depend on hand gestures.
Making good use of indicators is a sure way to travel safely on roads. Being attentive and proactive with the usage of indicators is the best way to make the public roads safe for every person using it.
Also don't forget to add an extra layer of protection to your car with a car insurance policy!