Driving Licence in Bangalore
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Bangalore?
To put it in simple terms, a driving licence is nothing but your legal permit to drive on the road. The same confirms you can ride a two-wheeler or drive a four-wheeler responsibly.
In a big city like Bangalore where there is so much traffic congestion on the road- your risk of falling into trouble is sort of higher.
From all the reckless driving, narrow streets and the constant traffic- there are a million little things that can go wrong. While these are subjective things that can get you into trouble, a routine cop check can make things go wrong too.
Of course, this depends on whether you’ve violated any traffic rules, or something as simple as not carrying your driving essentials- such as your driver’s licence, car/bike insurance and pollution control certificate.
Out of these, the most basic document you should be having is your driving licence- after all that’s the only proof you have that you’re allowed to drive, legally! If you haven’t got one yet, we’re here to help you out! Just follow through this article.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Driving Licence in Bangalore
- You should be 18 years or above to apply for a driving licence.
- You should be well versed with the traffic rules and regulations. You should also have a valid address proof and age proof documents.
- You should have a valid learner’s licence.
- For commercial vehicles, you should be 20 years or above.
Types of Driving Licences issued in Bangalore
You can apply to get one of the different types of Driving Licence in Bangalore:
What is the Fine for Driving without Licence in Bangalore?
The penalty for driving/riding without a valid driving licence in Bangalore is:
₹1,000 (two-wheelers & three-wheelers) | ₹2,000 (four-wheelers & LMV) | ₹5,000 (others)
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Bangalore
Application Procedure for Driving Licence in Bangalore
Whether you’re applying for a two-wheeler or four-wheeler, applying for any driving licence is a 2-stage process. You first need to apply for a Learner’s Licence and only then can you apply for a permanent driving licence.
Steps to apply for a Learner's Licence
- There are two modes to apply for a driving licence. You can choose from online and offline modes as per your convenience. To apply online, visit the Government of Karnataka Transport Department official website. Find out the form 1,2, and 3 to apply for DL. Submit the form along with all the necessary documents.
- In case, you still trust the offline procedures, then visit the Regional Transport Office and ask for Form 4. Fill in the form carefully and submit it along with the necessary documents.
- After submission, you will receive an application number. And the authority will intimate her/him for a slot to take the preliminary test. This test will relate to the evaluation of your knowledge about the traffic signal. After taking the test and clearing it, you will receive the learner’s licence immediately. But if you fail, then you will have to retake it.
- Post this, book a time slot for the driving test at the RTO office. Pay the fees of Rs.50/- for a learner's licence and keep a record the confirmation receipt.
Steps for Permanent Driving Licence
- After you have received the learner’s licence, then within 30 days to 6-months, visit the RTO office on the date of the driving test. The test will be conducted in the presence of a Motor Vehicle Inspector. Take your motor vehicle and learner’s licence for the test.
- Go for the thumb impressions if the Motor Vehicle Inspector is satisfied with your performance.
- Pay the fees of Rs.200/-.
- After this, your permanent Driving Licence will be issued
Check the Application Status of Driving Licence in Bangalore
Visit the Karnataka Transport Department official website to check the status of the Driving Licence. Use your application number and Date of birth to check for the status.
Talking about Bangalore, it will take about 40 days to receive the driving licence. But, if it takes longer than usual, then check for an update online.
Tips to clear your driving test easily:
- Know the traffic signals carefully.
- Don’t be overconfident while appearing for the driving test.
- Do not give the test under the effect of alcohol.
- It will be good to use side mirrors and indicators.
- The gear movements should be smooth enough that prevents vehicle turn off in the middle of the test when driving.
- Practice and be sure of making an imaginary ‘8’ for the driving test.
How to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Bangalore?
A Duplicate Licence holds the same importance as the original DL held for you. There can be a situation in life when a Driving licence gets stolen or lost. And if this happens, then you’ll need to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence.
Also, make sure that an intimation about the loss to the authority is made and an F.I.R is lodge on priority. You will also have to get an affidavit that mentions about the lost Driving Licence.
Documents needed for a duplicate licence:
- Application form for a duplicate licence. It should be duly filled and signed.
- A Copy of complaint, F.I.R, and an affidavit.
- A copy of the original licence.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Proof of residence.
- The fees receipt of Rs.200 for smart card duplicate licence.
- Proof of age and address
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence:
- Fill in the application form for the Duplicate Licence available online on the website.
- Submit it along with all the documents.
How to apply for the renewal of a Driving Licence in Bangalore?
We get our insurance policies for vehicles renewed, gas refill request and other such chores finished well in time. Similar to this, it is important to get the renewal of Driving Licence on time. It will save you from unexpected worries and hence it is wise to prepare for licence renewal 30 days before the expiry of the licence.
The RTO issued a driving licence with a validity for 20 years or up to 50 years of age whichever is early.
Documents needed for Renewal of the Driving Licence:
- Application Form 9
- Copy of expired driver's licence.
- Medical certificate if the driver is more than 40 years, that is, Form 1 and Form 1 A.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fees of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for the renewal of the DL
- To get the licence renewed, you will have to visit the RTO website. Select the tab to request the renewal. Or visit the RTO office. It should be done within 30 days of the expiry. For late renewal he have to bear additional charges.
- Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/-
- Submit the necessary documents enabling the authorities to expedite the request.
Application Procedure to get International Driving Licence in Bangalore
An International Driving Licence is a permit that allows individuals to drive beyond Indian territorial boundaries. It will always be working in conjunction with the original Driving Licence issued by the Indian Government. To get an IDL, you can visit the nearest RTO and submit the required information. The RTO will ask for some documents like:
Documents needed for an IDL
- Filled and signed application Form 4A for an IDL.
- A Copy of Valid Driving Licence.
- Fee Receipt.
- Valid Travel Tickets.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Medical fitness certificate Form 1 and Form 1A.
- Valid Visa and Passport
Driving Test Procedure in Bangalore
The driving test differs based on the vehicle type.
You have to appear for both ground and Road tests.
You must drive the vehicle along a ‘U’ or ‘T’ track.
Even road tests are conducted to scrutinise your driving skills and knowledge of traffic rules and regulations.
An RTO inspector will monitor the test. If you deliver an unsatisfactory performance, you must appear for a retest.
You have to undergo road and ground tests.
In the ground test, you have to drive the vehicle along a ‘T’ or ‘8’ track.
You also have to drive in real-world traffic scenarios.
In case you do not qualify the test, you have to retake the DL.
RTO Offices where you can apply for a Driving Licence in Bangalore
- Corporation, Shopping Complex, Rajajinagar, Bangalore – 560010.
- 2ND Floor, BDA Complex, Indiranagar, Bangalore – 560038
- 3rd Block, Bda Shopping Complex, Koramangala, Bangalore – 080 25533525
- 83/63, Op To Mico Factory, Central Jail Road, Bommanahalli CMC, Channakeshava Nagar, Electronic City, Bangalore – 560100