Commercial Driving Licence: Types, Eligibility & Application Process
Driving a commercial vehicle is far different from driving a personal vehicle and involves added risks. Therefore, before allocating a commercial driving licence (CDL), the government ensures that the driver is well equipped with driving ethics, rules, and techniques.
Now, there are variations in commercial licenses based on the type of vehicle.
Applying for it and getting the same involves certain stages, which we will discuss in detail.
What Is a Commercial Driving Licence (CDL)?
According to the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, the government provides a commercial vehicle driving licence acknowledging the driver's eligibility to drive a commercial vehicle.
It is as good as a personal driving license; however, you can use it for both commercial and personal vehicles. Commercial vehicles include trucks, cars, buses, etc., carrying passengers and goods through highways and roads.
Driving commercial vehicles without a CDL is a punishable offence.
Types of Commercial Driving Licences in India
Types of Commercial Driving Licence
Category of Vehicles
Light motor vehicles include motorcars, delivery vans, taxis, jeeps. It comprises the range of private licence to commercial licence.
LMV - NT
Light or LMV commercial vehicle for non-transport means
Medium goods vehicle
Heavy transport vehicle
Heavy motor vehicles
Heavy passenger motor vehicle
Heavy goods motor vehicle
A heavy motor vehicle licence is necessary for getting a trailer licence.
Eligibility to Apply for Commercial Driving Licence
You should meet the following specifications to apply for a commercial driving licence -
- Should be a citizen of India.
- Your age for CDL eligibility is above 18 years. However, it differs in some states of India to 20 or 22 years.
- Educational qualification should be 8th-grade pass or more.
- Should have a learners’ licence.
- To apply for CDL, you have to take training from a government motor training school or one affiliated with the government.
How to Apply for a Commercial Driving Licence?
Online Application for a Commercial Driving Licence
Digitisation has made commercial driving license application online process significantly easier.
- Log in to the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways’ portal.
- Download form no. 4 for driving license commercials.
- Now fill in the form and upload it with required documents regarding your identity and address proof, such as passport, voter ID or Aadhaar card.
- Upload Form 1A for a medical certificate and Form 5 furnished by the training centre.
- Now pay the fees.
- And submit.
- After successful submission, you will get a serial number on your registered mobile number.
Offline Application for a Commercial Driving Licence
Apart from the commercial driving license application online process, you can also use offline mode.
- Visit your nearby Regional Transport Office.
- Collect Form no. 2.
- Submit the filled up form, and along with that, submit:
- Form no. 1A for medical fitness.
- Form no. 5 furnished by the training centre.
- All necessary documents like passport, voter ID or Aadhaar card for proof of identity and residence.
- Now submit all these forms and documents along with fees.
- You will get a serial number on your registered mobile after successful submission.
Using this process, your question regarding how to apply for a commercial driving licence offline will be resolved seamlessly.
The commercial driving licence fee is Rs 1000. However, for passenger and heavy cargo vehicles, it is Rs 1500.
You should be well trained in driving your vehicle to apply for a commercial driving licence. It requires a learning driving licence issued at least six months earlier than applying for commercial type. The government is improving the driver training curriculum to bolster the commercial driving industry with expert drivers.