How to Apply for a Smart Card Driving Licence?
What is the best way to carry a licence in modern India? Choose a plastic smart card driving licence!
Wondering how to get one?
This article will show you how to apply for a smart card driving licence online and what it entails. Let's begin!
What Is a Smart Card Driving Licence?
A smart card driving licence is an upgraded version of the old book licence. It is a plastic card that contains a 64KB microprocessor. This card stores all essential information about a driver.
Some of the information contained in this card include -
- Retina scan
- Blood type
All information on this card can be read through a suitable machine.
Generally, the RTO and ARTO verify the information present in the smart card driving licence.
Steps to Apply for a Smart Card Driving Licence
- Online Application for Smart Card Driving License
Follow these steps, and you should get your smart card driving permit in no time!
Step 1: Visit the official portal of your State’s Transport Department.
Step 2: Download the “Smart Card Driving Licence” application form from the website.
Step 3: After filling in the form, visit your nearest RTO and submit it along with necessary documents.
Step 4: Pay the fees for the smart card and apply for a driving test.
Step 5: If you clear the driving test, the authorities will record all biometric data.
Once all this information has been processed and verified, you will receive your smart card driving licence at your registered address.
Offline Application for Smart Card Driving License
For the offline process, follow these steps -
Step 1: Visit your nearest RTO and ask for a Smart Card Driving Licence form.
Step 2: Fill it in and let the authorities record your biometrics.
Step 3: Pay its requisite fees, and you are free to leave.
The authorities will send the smart card driving licence to your registered address.
- Converting Old Book Driving Licence to New Smart Card
Following are the steps to convert an old book driving licence to new smart card online -
Step 1: Visit your nearest RTO with your old driving licence.
Step 2: Get an application form to upgrade your licence.
Step 3: Fill in this form, pay its necessary fees, and you will receive the licence at your registered address.
There is no process for converting an old book driving licence to a new smart card online. You will have to visit your nearest RTO.
- Learner's Licence to Smart Card Driving Licence
If all you have at present is a learner's licence, and you wish to upgrade it to a smart card one, follow these steps -
Step 1: Get the application form for a Smart Car Driving Licence and submit all required documents.
Step 2: Book a slot to take your driving test. If you successfully pass the test, then the authorities will record your biometrics.
Upon completing this process, the smart card driving licence will be sent to your address via speed post.
Documents Required to Apply for a Smart Card Driving Licence
There are some essential documents you will need to provide to get a smart card driving licence. They are -
- Application fees
- Address proof (Aadhaar card, passport, Ration card, house agreement, gas electricity, telephone bills, letter from employer that you are residing in a particular city)
- Age proof (10th class mark sheet, PAN card, birth certificate, passport, transfer certificate from any school with the date of birth printed on it)
- Passport-size photographs
- Medical certificate forms 1A and 1, which a government doctor should sign
- The application form for the smart card driving licence
If you are changing your old DL to a smart card, these are the documents you will require -
- Age proof (birth certificate, school transfer certificate, passport, etc.)
- Address proof (passport, ration card, voter ID, Aadhaar card, electricity bill, etc.)
- Copy of the original book-style driving licence.
What Are the Eligibility Criteria for SCDL?
The eligibility criteria for a smart card driving licence is no different than that of a normal DL. Here are the requirements according to vehicle type –
SCDL Eligibility Requirement
Motorcycle with gear and an engine capacity of up to 50cc
Applicants must – Be at least 16 years old, Get a consent letter from his parents
Motorcycles with gear and engine capacity exceeding 50cc
Applicants must be above 18 years
Heavy commercial vehicles and transport vehicles
Applicants must – Have completed 8th Standard, Be at least 18 years of age
Smart Card Driving Licence Form and Its Sections
The smart card driving licence has 3 sections or zones. In brief, they are -
1. Zone 1: Visual Inspection Zone
It contains some of the basic information about the applicant. The information is as follows -
- Applicant's name
- Registered address
- Date of birth
- Vehicle type
- Vehicle class
2. Zone 2: Machine Readable Zone
This zone contains information such as -
- Serial number of the driving licence chip
- Date of issue of the driving licence
- Some details regarding the issuing authority
- Driving licence validity
3. Zone 3: Central Motor Vehicles Rules Zone
This is sometimes viewed as the most important part of the form. It contains information such as -
- Was the driver ever penalised?
- Does he have any endorsements?
- Details of the violations
What Are the Fees Payable for a Smart Card Driving Licence in India?
The driving licence smart card fee is ₹200. You will have to make this payment when you submit the documents and application form.
What Are the Benefits of a Smart Card Driving Licence?
There are a vast number of benefits of the smart card driving licence. A few of them are -
- Nobody will be able to tamper with or fake the details of the smart card as the biometrics will be stored on it.
- All the details of the cardholder will be declared in the smart card.
- The details in the smart card cannot be changed, creating a permanent audit trail.
- Since the driving licence cannot be tampered with, there will be high efficiency in the maintenance of law enforcement.
The smart card driving licence looks to change the way India works! It's a part of a new system of doing things that are finding mass support from citizens. Hence, now that you know how to change a driving licence book to a smart card, do so in an instant!
Get your smart card driving licence today!