How to Test Drive a Car?
When you plan on buying a new car, even after hours of research, you must have wondered whether your choice of model is the right one. In this regard, test driving your shortlisted vehicle can clear the air of confusion.
However, before you learn how to test drive a car, you might want to consider certain focus areas before, during or after the drive.
In the following piece, you will find everything about test driving a car, what to check during a test drive, risk factors, and more.
What Is the Process to Test Drive a New Car?
For a seamless experience, you might want to consider following certain steps while test driving your choice of car. Here are the steps to follow:
- Shortlist the car for a test drive.
- Test drive the correct model and variant you are considering buying.
- Ensure you have sufficient time. Choose a location and time at your convenience.
- Carry certain items like CDs or USB drives to check the music system of your new car.
Apart from following the aforementioned steps, a successful test drive requires you to carry a checklist of pointers you must inspect before, during and after the test drive.
What to Check in a Test Drive for a Car?
Before you know how to take a test drive of a car, here are some things you might consider checking:
- Take a walk around and inspect the overall appearance of the car.
- Check panel gaps; door handles, overall fit and finish, build quality etc.
- Inspect the inside boot space, its dimensions etc.
- Check how wide the front and rear doors open.
- Ensure the car offers comfort during getting in and out.
- Observe the leg and headroom in the car’s rear.
- Ensure you get maximum comfort while sitting in the front.
After this preliminary check, you might want to consider some further checks in detail before test driving the car. Here are the checks to follow:
- Examine the various compartments, adjust dials and push buttons in the car.
- Check the music system, aircon and its vents, wiper, horn etc., for their proper functioning.
- Inspect your steering wheel adjustability, driving position, foot pedals, etc., and ensure overall comfort considering traffic congestion.
- Examine driver’s visibility, seat height adjustment etc. and make sure the safety features are intact.
Now that you have completed the initial checks, you can proceed to test driving your car. Nevertheless, during the test drive, you might consider undertaking the following inspections:
- Change the type of route and duration of the drive as per your requirement to check the car’s performance.
- Check the control of the vehicle over brakes and steering grip.
- Examine the engine and acceleration.
- Notice the mirrors for proper visibility.
- Drive your car at various speeds in different gears to check cabin noise, vibrations and harshness, tyre noise etc.
- Check how smoothly you can move the clutch.
- Examine the riding performance on a rough road.
- While reversing your car, check the rear visibility.
- Inspect the aircon system or blower noises at various speeds.
Finally, after you complete the test drive, you can discuss any doubts with the representative. In addition, if you are still unsure about your choice, you can book another test drive.
How to Book a Test Drive for Car?
Along with knowing how to test drive a car, potential car buyers might consider learning how to book a test drive. Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit the car manufacturer’s official website.
- Enter your name, email and mobile number to generate an OTP.
- Input the OTP received and select the name of the model you are interested in.
- Give details of the state and city you belong from, along with the dealer details.
- Enter any additional comments if required and click on submit.
After receiving your booking request details, a representative will get in touch with you at the earliest.
How to Select a Car for a Test Drive?
Before finalising a car for the test drive, you might want to consider certain points that will help you streamline your options. Here is how you can select a car for a test drive:
- Fix a budget and pick on the specifications you must have in your car.
- Carry out proper research on the model and variant that meets your requirement.
- Shortlist a minimum of 3 cars before taking a final call.
- You might consider test driving all three cars to make a perfect selection.
Once you make your selection and know what you need to test drive a car, you can proceed to the following steps in a hassle-free manner.
What Are the Risk Factors while Taking a Car for a Test Drive?
The major risk involved during car test drives includes instances of accidents or other unfortunate situations. If you inflict damage on a person or property in case of an accident during a test drive, the injured person can raise a claim against you.
In this case, your legal liability can increase. However, you can curtail such liabilities by opting for proper insurance.
Nevertheless, it is vital to know how to test drive a car as it helps you make a better purchase. Big-ticket purchases like a car are an investment of a lifetime. Therefore, it is only practical to avoid taking such decisions hastily and undertake suitable actions to make the right choice.