Fine for Driving without Helmet
Penalty for Driving without a Helmet
Does anyone of you who is reading this article leave the main gate of your home open in the night? No, right? You don’t risk your security for anything. In the same way, you don’t want to put your life in danger when riding on the road. Driving without a helmet is like risking your life. Across all states in India, wearing a helmet is mandatory. It applies not only to the driver but also to the pillion riders.
Section 129 of the Motor Vehicle Act also defines that the helmet should have a thickness of 20-25 mm with superior quality foam. The helmet should also have an ISI mark and follow the Bureau of Standards.
Is it illegal to drive a two-wheeler without a helmet?
Yes, it is illegal to drive a two-wheeler without a helmet.
What is the fine for driving a two-wheeler without wearing a helmet?
If you happen to commit this mistake of driving without a helmet you will be immediately charged with a fine of Rs.1000/-. Not only this, the officials of the Motor Vehicle Department can disqualify your driving license for three months.
Before the amendment under the Motor Vehicle Act, a fine of only Rs.100/- was charged for not wearing a helmet.
What is the process once you are caught for driving without a helmet?
If the traffic police catch you driving without a helmet this is how they will deal with you:
- Stop your vehicle and ask you to pull over on the side.
- They may seize your keys until their procedure is over.
- The officer will ask for the vehicle documents and check whether they are valid or not. They will also establish that you are not committing an offence other than driving without wearing a license.
- After the verification, they will issue you a challan for not wearing a helmet. It will be issued in your name indicating the amount of fine you will have to pay as per the MV Act, 2019. Unlike the old times, a traffic policeman can issue you an e-challan as well.
- As soon as you receive the challan, you can choose to pay the fine amount of Rs.1000/- either online or offline.
Visit the nearest traffic police station in your area. Ask for the amount you are liable to pay for the impending fine. Clear the dues, take the receipt and you are free.
- Visit the website of the State’s Transport Department.
- You will find a section there for the payment of e-challan or traffic violation payment. Click on that link once you locate it.
- Enter your vehicle number or challan number. You may then enter the captcha code.
- Make the payment using your debit or credit card. You can also use Paytm for paying the fine online.
- After the payment, you will then receive a message for confirmation of receipt.
Tips to avoid getting fined for driving without helmet
Here are ways to avoid fines for driving without a helmet:
- Always make sure that you wear a helmet(according to the specifications). It is for your safety and not others.
- Keep an extra helmet for the pillion rider.
- Buy a helmet lock so that it will always be on your two-wheeler and there will be fewer chances of you to pay a fine. Or keep it in the in-built storage boxes of your two-wheeler.