How to Renew Driving Licence in Kerala?
Driving licence proves that the driver is certified and has knowledge related to road traffic and driving rules. According to Motor Vehicles Act 1988, driving without a valid driving licence (DL) is an offence, and you can't claim insurance in case of an accident.
Therefore, keep a check on the expiry date of your DL and apply for driving licence renewal in Kerala within 30 days of the grace period effective from the date of expiry. Here are details that you need to know about renewal of the DL.
Online Renewal of Driving Licence in Kerala
Follow the steps below for driving licence renewal online Kerala process -
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Motor Vehicles Department of Kerala. click on “Licence” under the “Online Services” option present on the Menu bar.
- Step 2: Click on “Apply for DL Renewal”, and enter DL number and date of birth. Then click on “Get DL Details”.
- Step 3: You will be redirected to the page covering details of your DL, including vital data like name, validity period, etc. Click on “Yes” after checking all data.
- Step 4: Select state and nearest RTO from the drop-down, and click on “Submit Request”.
- If you apply for an RTO that is not the same as your previous application, click on “Change of Address” and pay ₹200 as additional fees for this service.
- Step 5: Click on “Renewal of Driving License” and fill in the form providing all details. Submit the form with the necessary documents.
- Step 6: Click on “Fees Payment” to clear driving licence renewal fee Kerala, complete payment procedure and take a printout of acknowledgement slip.
Offline Renewal of Driving Licence in Kerala
- Collect Form 9 from the Parivahan Seva website or RTO office and fill it up.
- Attach Form 1 (for applicants in age group within 17-40) or Form 1A (for applicants above 40 years of age).
- Attach relevant documents and submit them at the RTO counter.
Visiting the online web portal of Parivahan Seva will help you with a step-by-step guide on how to renew your driving licence in kerala. However, you can also visit the RTO office to complete the application process.
List of Documents Required for Renewal of Driving Licence in Kerala
Documents required for driving licence renewal in Kerala are -
- Identity proof like aadhar card, voter card, etc.
- Address proof like utility bills, telephone bills, etc.
- Date of birth proof.
- Original DL.
- Acknowledgement slip.
Form 1 as declaration of physical fitness
Form 1A as medical certificate for those aged 40 years or more
- 3 passport size photographs.
- Fees receipt copy.
What Is the Fee Structure for DL Renewal in Kerala?
According to Kerala, driving licence renewal rules, the fees structure is as follows -
Renewal of driving license for public vehicle
Renewal of driving license for personal vehicle
Additional fees for the renewal of driving license in Kerala after the grace period
Additional fees for the renewal of driving license in Kerala after one year of grace period
Additional fees for the renewal of driving license as smart card
How Long Does It Take to Renew Driving Licence in Kerala?
Here is a detailed breakdown about how long it takes for the different stages of DL renewal -
- Kerala driving licence renewal online process takes 1 week.
- Getting a hard copy of the DL via post takes three weeks.
Steps to Check the Renewal Status of Driving Licence in Kerala
- Visit the Motor Vehicles Department of Kerala portal and click on “Licence Status”.
- Input your DL number and date of birth. Enter the verification code and click on the “Check Status”.
This will show you information like application number, licence number, date of printing the card, date of dispatch.
Driving licence renewal in Kerala has a grace period of 30 days. The DL should be renewed within this grace period or else applicants have to pay higher fees. On the other hand, the applicant cannot apply for renewal before 30 days of expiry.
Ministry of Transport has curated Parivahan Seva for easy access for driving licence renewal in Kerala. The applicant can get the renewed driving licence within a week by submitting the right documents, data, and fees. Therefore, do not delay and renew your expired licence for a better traffic operation.