Overspeeding Fines in Rajasthan
Overspeeding is one of the common causes of road accidents in Rajasthan. It is a punishable offence and can lead to hefty fines and legal consequences. Rajasthan has an increased number of road accidents.
As per the news, Rajasthan has a record of experiencing the fourth-highest number of road accidents in India as of 2020. It was further reported that 8.6 per cent of road accidents were caused due to over speeding.
To curb this increasing number of road accidents, the Rajasthan Traffic Police laid out rules and regulations as per the Motor Vehicles Act. According to it, the traffic department issues overspeeding fines in Rajasthan.
Reasons for Getting an Over-Speeding Challan in Rajasthan
- Drunken Driving
In Rajasthan, most of the overspeeding cases happen due to the consumption of alcohol while driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol is considered punishable and might further lead to the payment of an overspeed fine in Rajasthan.
- Using mobile phones while driving
Using mobile phones while driving is strictly prohibited in Rajasthan. It reduces the reaction time of a driver and increases the risk of losing control of the vehicle. Eventually, this causes a distraction while you are driving, and thus, not able to maintain a specified speed limit set by the traffic authority.
- Not following the traffic signals
Sometimes, you may not stop at traffic signals because you might be in a hurry for some urgency. It leads to overspeeding and an overspeeding fine in Rajasthan.
Rules and Regulations for Overspeeding in Rajasthan
According to Section 112 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, it is mandatory for all individuals to drive/ride a motor vehicle within a reasonable or specified speed limit. Upon violation of this rule, traffic authorities can charge an overspeeding challan in Rajasthan. The charges for dangerous driving in Rajasthan are ₹1000 for two or three-wheelers and ₹10000 for four-wheelers.
List of Applicable Overspeeding Fines in Rajasthan
In order to motivate all citizens to abide by the rules, the traffic department charges a fine for overspeeding in Rajasthan upon its violation.
- For Light Motor Vehicles or LMV: Fine for riding/driving a two-wheeler/LMV at a speed exceeding the specified limit is ₹1000 in Rajasthan.
- For Heavy or Mechanic Motor Vehicles: Rajasthan Traffic Police impose an overspeeding fine of ₹2000 for driving medium/heavy goods/passenger vehicles.
- For Rash Driving: Charges applicable for rash driving is ₹500
- For Racing and Trials of Speed: For racing in Rajasthan riders or drivers can attract a charge of ₹5000 on the first violation and ₹10000 on the second or subsequent violations.
Speed Limit for Different Category Vehicles in Rajasthan
Type of Vehicles
4-Wheelers or Car
100 km per hour
2-Wheelers or Motorcycles
80 km per hour
70 km per hour
Payment Options for an Over-Speeding Fine in Rajasthan
Once charged with an overspeeding fine, a violator needs to make the payment within 60 days of issue in Rajasthan. Listed below are some options available for making payments of overspeeding fines in Rajasthan.
- One can pay the challan amount through the e-challan webpage of Parivahan Sewa.
- Other than the Parivahan website, one can also use the official website of the Rajasthan Police to pay their overspeeding challan.
- Riders or drivers can pay fines in person to a traffic officer having the authority to use an e-challan machine.
- One can also make payments of their overspeed fine in Rajasthan by submitting the amount along with some required documents to any traffic police station.
Consequences for Not Paying an Over-Speeding Fine in Rajasthan
A traffic police officer visits the offender’s registered home address to collect the fine if he/she fails to pay it within 60 days. Upon subsequent failure, the matter will proceed to a district court.