Driving Licence in Mumbai
Get a Mandatory Motor Insurance for your Vehicle and avoid Heavy Penalty.
- Hyundai I10
- Hyundai Santro Xing
- Hyundai Elite I20
- Maruti Suzuki Wagon R
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Maruti Suzuki Alto
- Ford Figo
- Volkswagen Polo
- Recent years
- New Car
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Mumbai?
Mumbai is a metropolitan city of India where the headcounts are uncountable and so are the number of vehicles running on the road. It is rightly said that Mumbai is the city that never sleeps! The roads are almost always full, especially during the morning and evening peak hours. Thankfully though, the traffic is still very well organized as compared to other cities. Mumbai is a city where people make sure they do not make mistakes because no one has the time to entertain a mess. And to avoid such situations, most Mumbaikars seem to follow all basic traffic rules, from something as simple as always carrying your driver’s licence to ensuring you have at least a basic car insurance to avoid trouble and traffic fines!
If you’re reading this because you’re just new to driving. Here’s what you need to know- Your driving licence is nothing but an official document that gives you an official permit to drive and ride your car and bike on the road. You can get the same if you’re 16 or above (for a two-wheeler) and 18 and above (for a four-wheeler). This article is to educate you on how to go about it all.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Driving Licence in Mumbai
- The applicant must be of 16 years if she/he wants to ride a gearless two-wheeler.
- The applicant must be of 18 years if she/he wants to ride or drive a light motor vehicle with gear.
- The applicants must be of 20 years and a minimum of 8th class passed to drive heavy motor vehicles and transport vehicles.
- The applicant must be aware of the basic traffic rules to clear the test.
- The applicant must have a valid learner’s licence before applying for a permanent one.
Types of Driving Licences issued in Mumbai
You can apply to get one of the different types of Driving Licence in Mumbai:
- Licence for two-wheeler without gears like Mopeds and Scooters.
- Licence for a two-wheeler with gears like bikes.
- Licence for four-wheelers like cars of all types.
- Licence for commercial and transport vehicles like buses, trucks, lorry, etc.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Mumbai
To get a Driving Licence in Mumbai, you need the following documents to present to the Road Transport Authority. He will verify these documents and accordingly approve your licence:
- Driving Licence Application form-4 available both online and offline.
- 3 passport size photographs for learner’s licence and 3 passport size photographs for Driving Licence.
- Address Proof like ration card, voter’s id, copy of passport, aadhar card or LIC policy that may be older than 6 months at least.
- Age Proof-like educational certificate, birth certificate, or SSC certificate.
- Copy of valid learner’s licence.
- Copy of PAN card.
- Receipt of the payment fees.
- Medical Certificate Form 1A if the candidate’s age is above 40 years.
Application Procedure for Driving Licence in Mumbai
To make the process easy, the government of India has largely bifurcated the procedure in two steps. The applicants will first get a Learner’s Licence and only 30 days after that can they get a Driving Licence. However, it subjected to some conditions. Considering the population and time taken in the process, the government of Maharashtra has made the process available online too.
Steps to apply for a Learner's Licence
- Candidate should register online for a learner’s licence.
- Visit the official website of the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department and then browse the learner’s licence page. A web application number will be generated and you will automatically be directed to a page where you can choose the appointment timings. Pay the fees of Rs.151/- plus Rs.50 for the test.
- If not online, alternatively the candidate can visit the RTO and ask for the Form-4. After filling the form you will get an application number. Post this, the officials will give you a slot to take the preliminary test for Learner’s Licence.
- Appear for the test which will be based to evaluate the knowledge of traffic signals. If the candidate clears the test, she/he will immediately get the learner’s licence. But if you fail, you will have to apply again and retake the test.
- If you clear the test, quickly apply for the slot to take the driving test.
Steps for Permanent Driving Licence
- The driving test before the permanent driving licence will be conducted in the presence of a Motor Vehicle Inspector. The candidate can visit the RTO office on the date of the driving test but only 30 days after receiving the learner’s licence. You will have to take your motor vehicle and learner’s licence for the test.
- If the Motor Vehicle Inspector is satisfied with your performance, you will be sent for the biometrics.
- Pay the fees of Rs.716/- to get a permanent Driving Licence.
- After this, you will be issued your permanent Driving Licence.
Check the Application Status of Driving Licence in Mumbai
To check the status of your Driving Licence, you can visit the Mumbai Transport Authority website. Simply enter your application number and date of birth to check for its status.
Things that help you to get a Driving Licence
- You will have to drive on ‘Forward 8 shaped track test’, ‘Parallel Parking Test’, or ‘Reverse S Test’ or ‘Drive backwards on S-shaped track’. So practice well to clear the test.
- Be confident while you appear for the driving test.
- Do not appear in the test under the influence of alcohol.
- Be well aware of the traffic signals, rules and regulations. Always use side mirrors and indicators.
- Press the gears smoothly and make sure the vehicle does not turn off in the middle of the test when you are driving.
How to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Mumbai?
In case, your DL is stolen or it might get lost, the important thing you should do on an immediate basis is to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence. And the first thing after your licence gets stolen is to lodge an F.I.R and a complaint to RTO. You should also get it written and get the affidavit as an important document.
Documents needed for a duplicate licence:
- Application Form duly filled and signed.
- A Copy of complaint, F.I.R, and an affidavit.
- Proof of residence.
- The fees receipt of Rs.216/- for a duplicate licence.
- Medical Certificate Form 1A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence:
- Fill in the application form for a Duplicate Licence. You can apply online through parivahan.gov.in. The form to apply for a Duplicate Licence can be downloaded from the website of Mumbai Transport Office
- Submit all the documents along with the fees and wait for the verification. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will get your Duplicate Driving Licence.
It is important that the request for the duplicate licence should be completed within 6 months after you have lost the original DL. Driving a vehicle without a licence can be considered as an offence.
How to apply for the renewal of a Driving Licence in Mumbai?
Imagine you missed the renewal of your driving licence a few days ago. And a traffic policeman for any violation or a regular check-up. Guess what happens next? Obviously, you will be charged with penalties and your vehicles can be taken into custody. For sure, you would not want this to happen and so getting the renewal of Driving Licence well in time will be the wisest thing.
In general, a driving licence is valid for 20 years or up to 50 years of age whichever is earlier. A Driving Licence issued for a commercial vehicle is valid for 3 years.
Documents needed for Renewal of the Driving Licence:
- Copy of expired driver's licence.
- Medical certificate if the driver is more than 40 years.
- Application form 9.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fees of Rs.416/- and receipt.
- Form 1 and Form 1A, if the applicant’s age is above 50 years.
Steps to apply for the renewal of the DL:
- To get the licence renewed, you will have to visit the RTO website. Select the tab to request the renewal.
- Pay the fees of Rs.416/- and apply for the renewal.
- Submit the necessary documents so that the authority can process your request faster.
Application Procedure to get International Driving Licence in Mumbai
To get an IDL, you can visit the nearest RTO and submit the required information. The RTO will ask for some documents as mentioned but IDL will always work in conjunction with the original Driving Licence. Before you apply for an IDL, it is crucial to know the importance of the document.
Your driving licence issued by the government of India holds relevance only in domestic boundaries. But if you wish to drive on the lands abroad, then you would need an IDL which will always work in conjunction with your DL. Here are some documents you would need to get an IDL.
- Filled and signed application form 4A for IDL. The form can be downloaded online through parivahan.gov.in.
- A Copy of Valid Driving Licence.
- Fee Receipt for Rs.1000/-.
- Valid Identity and Residence Proof.
- Proof of valid visa and passport.
- Medical certificate.
- Air tickets preferably.