Check Car Insurance Policy Status Online
Learn How to Check Car Insurance Expiry Date Online?
In the last few years, India’s car insurance sector has witnessed unprecedented growth and was valued approximately at Rs.70,000 crore in 2019.
Furthermore, insurance claims have also spiked and now stand at Rs.1.2 crore nationally, which is frankly an astounding amount. (source)
The data presented above solidifies the fact that awareness among India’s general populace regarding the importance of car insurance has considerably increased.
Nonetheless, this does not dispel the reality that carelessness and mistakes in handling insurance documents are also quite common, and can lead you to lose these policy details.
Furthermore, you may also need to track down the insurance status of a car with which you were involved in an accident.
Under such circumstances, what should be your course of action for checking the status of a car’s insurance?
Take a look!
Check Car Insurance Status Online via IIB
IIB or the Insurance Information Bureau of India is a data repository under the purview of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India, which is delegated the task of collecting and storing accurate data for India’s Insurance Sector.
IIB was introduced by IRDAI in an effort to promote policyholders’ interests and propagate efficient functioning of India’s insurance sector.
Now, under its scope of services, IIB offers V-Seva through which individuals can track accident records and check car insurance online.
Guidelines for Conducting Car Insurance Policy Check
To check your car insurance policy status through IIB, there are several guidelines that you will need to adhere to. These are as follows:
- To check the status of a car insurance policy, it is mandatory to know its registration details without which you cannot hope to proceed. Furthermore, you should also enter the registration number of the car to the portal without any special characters.
- You will be permitted to search for a vehicle’s insurance information for a maximum of three times. Utilising a single email id and telephone number to conduct searches for more than three times is restricted.
- The time taken by IIB to receive insurance information from issuing companies can stretch up to two months. Therefore, you might not be able to find the information on a new vehicle on this portal.
- You can only look up information on those vehicles that have been insured after 1st April 2010.
- At the time of policy issuance for a new vehicle, insurance companies only submit their engine and chassis number to IIB.
Furthermore, in case this process of vehicle insurance checking online fails, you might need to resort to an offline method for the same.
But more of that later!
Let us now delve directly into the process of how to check a car insurance policy status online.
How to Check Car Insurance Policy Status Online via IIB – Steps
An individual may need to follow up the status of a car’s insurance under two circumstances:
- If a car-owner loses his/her vehicle’s insurance policy details.
- If an individual meets with a vehicular accident and needs to track down the details of the car in question.
Now, for both cases, there are a few requisite information that an individual will need to possess in order to conduct the car insurance policy check through IIB. These are:
- Name of said vehicle’s owner
- Address of vehicle’s owner
- Vehicle registration number
- Mobile number and email ID
- Place and date of the accident (if relevant)
Armed with such information, one will have to follow these steps below to check the car insurance online through IIB’s portal –
Log on to the official website of the Insurance Information Bureau.
On the home page, under “Quick Links” click on tab marked V-Seva and you will be taken to the page of Accident Vehicle Information Retrieval System.
Fill in requisite details pertaining to the vehicle in question, like:
- Name of the owner:
- Mobile number
- Email id,
- Vehicle registration number,
- Date and place of the accident
Click on “Submit” button.
If there are any vehicles registered in the IIB portal that match the details you have entered, you will be able to access the insurance details of the said car.
It is as simple as that!
However, a problem might arise if the insurance details of the vehicle in question are not available in the IIB portal.
Under such circumstances, you can resort to checking the insurance details through VAHAN e-services.
What is VAHAN e-Services?
VAHAN is the national vehicle registry, wherein all vehicle registration details are collated and made available to regulators and citizens alike. As of 2018, there were about 21.68 crore vehicles registered under VAHAN. (source)
Furthermore, since the portal captures all information mandated under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, you can easily retrieve a car’s insurance details through it.
Check Car Insurance Policy Status Online through VAHAN
If you are wondering “car ka insurance kaise check kare” through VAHAN, you can do so by following the steps provided below:
Visit VAHAN e-services and navigate to the tab marked “know your vehicle details” on top of the page.
Enter the registration number of the car in question and enter the required “code for verification”.
A “search vehicle” option will appear. Click on it.
The details of the vehicle will appear. You will be able to check the car insurance status through it.
These are the two methods through which you can check the status of a car’s insurance policy online.
However, if both the above methods have failed, and you are still confused about “car ka insurance kaise check kare” you can resort to offline means.
However, checking the insurance details offline can be time-consuming and cumbersome, to say the least.
Nonetheless, since the online methods are efficient, chances are you will be able to retrieve the concerned vehicles information without hassle.