How to Renew Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 mandates every motorist to carry a valid driving licence (DL) while driving. An expired licence attracts a penalty, and therefore, one should renew it at the earliest. For this, an individual can opt for driving licence renewal online in Tamil Nadu through an online or offline method.
Moreover, to familiarise you with the process, this article shares detailed information about its application procedure, required documents, fees structure, and timeline. So, continue reading about Tamil Nadu driving licence renewal procedure to know more.
Steps for Online Renewal of Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu
Before you know how to renew driving licence in Tamil Nadu, it is important to keep in mind that you have to renew it within the grace period of 30 days, failing which you have to pay higher fees.
Follow the simple steps given below to apply for online driving licence renewal Tamil Nadu:
- Visit the Parivahan website and select ‘Driving Licence Related Services’ under ‘Online Services’ on the navigation bar.
- Select your state as ‘Tamil Nadu’ from the drop-down box and click on ‘Driving Licence Renewal’.
- An instruction page will appear. After reading it, click on ‘Continue’ and proceed with driving licence renewal online Tamil Nadu. A form will appear on your screen, which you have to fill up with relevant data like DL number, date of birth, etc.
- Now, select ‘Proceed’. Then, confirm details and click on ‘Renewal’.
- An acknowledgement slip will appear. Print it for future reference.
After completing Tamil Nadu driving licence renewal online steps, you have to visit the nearest RTO office with the necessary documents and fees.
Steps for Offline Renewal of Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu
Follow the simple steps given below to apply for Tamil Nadu driving licence renewal in offline mode:
- Download the application Form 9 for renewal or collect it from the RTO office.
- Fill up all details and attach relevant documents with it.
- Deposit all documents at the counter of RTO along with deposit fees and collect an acknowledgement slip.
Documents Required for Renewal of Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu
For driving licence renewal Tamil Nadu following documents are necessary:
- Identity proof like Aadhar card, PAN card, voter ID, etc.
- Address proof like utility bills, ration card, telephone bill, etc.
- Proof for date of birth
- Original DL
- Form 1 (for those aged between 17-40 years)
- Form 1A (for individuals above 40 years of age)
- 3 passport-sized photographs.
Renewal Fees Applicable for a Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu
Now that you know how to renew driving licence online in Tamil Nadu, let’s take a look at its applicable charges:
Renewal of driving license for transport vehicle
Renewal of driving license for non-transport vehicle
Additional fees for renewal of driving license (applying after the grace period)
Additional fees for the renewal of driving license (applying after one year of grace period)
How to Check the Renewal Status of Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
To check the status, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the Transport Commissionerate and State Transport Authority of Tamil Nadu.
- Click on ‘Licence Status’ and input your DL number.
- Then, enter the required details, such as your date of birth and the verification code, to proceed with this process of DL renewal in Tamil Nadu.
- Now, click on the ‘Check Status’. This will show you information like:
- Application number
- Licence number
- Date of printing the card
- Date of dispatch
The driving licence renewal online in Tamil Nadu is easy and hassle-free. After renewal, the validity of DL is given for 5 years in the case of the non-transport vehicle and 3 years for transport vehicles. Moreover, remember to submit the required documents and fees to complete the procedure with ease.