How to Renew Driving Licence in Bihar?
According to the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, a car owner in India must possess a valid driving licence. A driving licence provides legal permission to drive a vehicle freely on road. Since the validity of a driving licence expires after 20 years, renewal of a driving licence in Bihar is essential to keep the document valid.
Online Renewal of Driving Licence in Bihar
- Step 1: Visit the official Sarathi website and choose your state ‘Bihar’. Select “Apply for DL Renewal”. In case you are above the age of 40, download Form1-A from the same page and continue
- Step 2: Enter your driving licence number and date of birth and click “Get DL Details” to redirect you to a page containing information about your driving licence. Check the information carefully and confirm by clicking “yes”.
- Step 3: Go to “Submit Request” and select a convenient RTO.
Note: To receive driving-licence related services from a different RTO than the previous one, you need to apply for a “change of address” at ₹200.
- Step 4: Choose “Renewal of Driving Licence” and fill in the online application form. Now attach the documents necessary for the application process.
- Step 5: Pay the necessary fee online to receive an online application number.
The officials will issue your renewed driving licence on successful verification of the documents.
Offline Renewal of Driving Licence in Bihar
You can opt for the offline process of driving licence renewal in Bihar if you do not have an internet connection following the steps below:
- Step 1: Visit your nearest RTO or Regional Transport Office in Bihar and collect the application form. Form 9, Form 1, and Form 1A.
- Step 2: Fill in the form by entering essential information. Submit it with all the necessary supporting documents.
- Step 3: Produce the original documents to the officer-in-charge for verification. Once the verification is successful, the official will issue your renewed licence within the least possible time.
What Are the Documents Required for Driving Licence Renewal in Bihar?
Prepare the following document before applying for the renewal of your driving licence -
- Address and age proof (Aadhaar card or Birth Certificate).
- Form 1 (self-declaration form of physical condition for the applicants below 50 years of age), Form 1–A signed by an Authorised Registered Medical Practitioner (required for applicants over 40 years of age).
- Health certificate from a registered MBBs doctor.
- 2 passport size photos.
- A copy of your original driving licence, which is about to expire.
- Written consent from parents or guardians in case of age 16 to 18.
- A payment receipt of ₹200.
What Is the Fee Structure for Driving Licence Renewal in Bihar?
The following table explains the fee structure for the renewal of a driving licence in Bihar -
For renewal of driving licence
For renewal of driving licence (after grace period)
Additional fees for delay in renewal of driving licence (per year)
Additional fees for application of renewal of driving licence in smart card
How Long Does It Take for the Renewal of a Driving Licence in Bihar?
- Individuals need to apply for DL renewal 30 days prior to the expiry of this document. A renewed licence will be issued once the document verification is successful and payment is complete.
- A new driving licence will be issued on the date of receipt of the application and payment for the renewal applications done after a month of the expiry.
How to Check Renewal Status of Driving Licence in Bihar?
- Step 1: Visit the official Sarathi website and select Bihar from the drop-down menu.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Application Status’ option present in the top menu bar.
- Step 3: Enter your application number and date of birth to get your driving licence status in Bihar.
Applying for renewal of a Driving Licence in Bihar has become quite an easy process like the points mentioned above. Keep all necessary documents ready to avoid any kind of hindrance in the process.