How to Get a Duplicate Driving Licence?
According to the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is compulsory to have a driving licence and driving without this legal document is subject to severe consequences.
So, what happens when your original driving licence is lost or stolen?
Don't worry! You can easily get a duplicate copy against your lost driving licence from your Regional Transport Office (RTO).
However, before applying for a duplicate copy against your stolen or lost driving licence, make sure to check all document requirements to help expedite this process.
Who Can Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence?
You can only get a duplicate driving licence if your original one is lost or destroyed, torn or completely written up, and the photograph attached to your licence requires replacement.
Those who did not have an original driver's licence in the first place need to get it issued by the RTO or Regional Transport Authority (RTA).
It generally takes three weeks to dispatch a DL after you apply for a lost driving licence, especially if all required documents are submitted properly. However, meanwhile, you can also use your payment receipt for your daily commute.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in India
Before applying, you must take some time to contact your nearest police station to make a formal complaint. It must state that your driving licence has been stolen or lost to get the FIR copy. After that, you also have to visit the notary office to collect an affidavit mentioning the same.
Now, the next step will be to apply for a duplicate driving licence; here are the ways you can do that -
Apply for Duplicate Driving Licence Online
- Step 1: Visit the online portal of Ministry Road Transport and Highways and select the “Apply Online” option to get your duplicate licence online.
- Step 2: Choose the “Services on Driving licence” option under that, where a list of driving licence services will appear on the screen.
- Step 3: Here, you will have to provide your driving licence number, including your date of birth, to find the complete details.
- Step 4: Select the application state, RTO, etc. Now, check and verify the details of your driving licence and click on “Confirm” to go ahead.
- Step 5: Select your preferred DL service from the given options. After that, you will find the issue of the NOC page, a declaration box, etc. Put a tick mark on that box and provide the captcha to proceed further.
- Step 6: You will find the acknowledgement form here, go through it and upload all the documents as mentioned on the website.
- Step 7: Next, upload your photograph and signature as well. Then, select “Click here to continue e-Payment” to complete the process. Collect the payment receipt generated.
After completing the verification process, you will receive a duplicate copy of your lost driving licence. You can also print it from the official website of Parivahan.
You can also use the online portal to track your duplicate driving licence status, as the verification process takes a few days at times.
In case you have difficulty following this process, you can avail the offline mode.
Apply for Duplicate Driving Licence Offline
Follow these simple steps to collect your duplicate DL from the RTO.
- Step 1: Visit the Regional Transport Office and submit the LLD form after providing relevant details.
- Step 2: Make sure to attach all the documents along with that form and submit them.
- Step 3: Pay the duplicate driving licence fees and do not forget to collect the payment receipt. You can use it until you receive the driving licence at your registered address.
While access to internet facilities enables you to obtain a duplicate driving licence online and from the comfort of your home, the offline process is equally easy and hassle-free. However, make sure to obtain adequate information regarding the document requirements and cost for duplicate license before visiting the RTO.
Documents Required to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence
Even though the requirements might vary across states, keep the following ones handy to obtain your duplicate DL -
- A first instance report (FIR) or NCR of your licence if it is stolen or lost.
- Attested photocopies of your original DL
- Application form LLD (for intimation of destruction as well as loss of driving licence and application for duplicate licence)
- Address and age proof documents, including passport-sized photographs, for reference.
- All information regarding your driving licence
How Much Is the Cost for a Duplicate Driving Licence?
Generally, you need to pay ₹200 to get a duplicate copy of a lost driving licence. However, those looking for a smart card need to spend ₹400 for the same.
You must be well aware that a driver's licence serves a lot of purposes, including being an identity proof. So, applying for a duplicate one immediately should be your first step to meet such requirements as well as avoid legal complications. Make sure to keep the aforementioned points in mind before you fill the LLD form.