Transfer of Vehicle Registration from One State to Another State
Get a Motor Insurance quote today
- Hyundai I10
- Hyundai Santro Xing
- Hyundai Elite I20
- Maruti Suzuki Wagon R
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Maruti Suzuki Alto
- Ford Figo
- Volkswagen Polo
- Recent years
- New Car
All about Transfer of Vehicle Registration Explained
You bought your dream car after one year of your job in Delhi. The boss was super happy with your performance. He wanted you to share the work responsibilities at their new office in Jaipur.
The opportunity was big and you did not want to miss it. It was a permanent transfer for you. Sounds so perfect when you hear all of this, right? But that is just a part of the picture. The initial transfer expenses along with the registration transfer of your car from one state to another can irk you badly.
What is Vehicle Registration: Meaning and Relevance
The registration of a vehicle (car/bike) is about bringing in notice with the state authority that you own a vehicle and want to use it on the road legally.
The government of your state in return verifies whether the vehicle can be put to use. And if that goes correct, then they will ask you to pay a road tax for driving the vehicle on the public roads.
It is about everyone’s safety and hence every vehicle is registered just as it is purchased. The registration procedure is relevant as it will give an identification number for your vehicle.
It dictates that a vehicle with a particular number is unquestionably yours. Just like a motor insurance policy is a must, the registration of the vehicle is equally important and mandatory.
You should know that road tax and rules vary from state to state. This is why when you move across the border permanently, you need a re-registration of your vehicle. And, obviously, the vehicle should be registered before it needs re-registration.
Procedure of Transfer of Vehicle Registration from One State to another State
To avoid any dispute for vehicle re-registration after you get transferred to another state permanently, this is what you should do.
Protip for NOC
- The NOC comes with an expiry date, so you are supposed to complete the re-registration procedure before the NOC becomes invalid.
- If your car/bike is bought with financial support from any bank or agency then you will also need a NOC from the supporting bank or agency.
List of Documents Required for Re-registration of Vehicle
- Previous Registration Certificate in original.
- Three copies of Form 28 or the NOC issued by the previous state’s RTO.
- Form 20 which is the application for the registration of the motor vehicle.
- Form 27 which is the application for the assignment of a new registration mark to the motor vehicle.
- Attested copy of address proof.
- Attested copy of valid insurance
- Attested copy of Pollution Under Control Certificate.
- Copy of PAN Card or Form 60 and 61.
What happens if you Drive a Vehicle without RC Transfer?
Just like you are not allowed to drive a vehicle on the road without a motor insurance policy, you cannot skip the transfer of RC. It applies when you cross state borders to settle permanently in a new city. If you happen to drive your vehicle without RC getting transferred even after one year, the traffic policeman can :
- Detain your vehicle.
- Penalize you with the defined fine.
How to apply for RTO Road Tax Refund?
If in any case, after the transfer, you realize that the road tax paid in the previous state was more than the current one, then you can claim for a refund. But before you claim for the refund, the vehicle re-registration process should be completed in the new state. Here are the documents needed to apply for the refund.