How to Renew Driving Licence in Mumbai?
A valid driving licence is a legal mandate according to the Motor Vehicles Act 1988. Driving without a driving licence may attract a hefty fine of up to ₹5,000. Hence, avoid such legal consequences and opt for renewal when your driving licence expires.
The process to apply for a driving licence renewal in Mumbai is convenient. So, keep reading to find out everything that you need to know about it.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Mumbai?
Take a look at the following online and offline driving licence renewal procedures in Mumbai:
Steps to Apply for Driving Licence Renewal Online in Mumbai
- Step 1: Visit the official portal of Parivahan Sewa. Select the ‘Driving Licence Related Services’ from the drop-down list of “Online Services”.
- Step 2: Select state as ‘Maharashtra’ from the drop-down list.
- Step 3: The page redirects to ‘Parivahan Sarathi’. Now, select ‘Driving Licence’ and choose ‘Services On DL’ for online renewal of driving licence in Mumbai. You will be redirected to an instruction page. Go through the same and select ‘Continue’.
- Step 4: Enter your driving licence number and date of birth. Other information that you are required to fill in are:
- Category of the driving licence holder
- Select state and enter your residential pin code to select your nearest RTO.
After you complete entering the relevant data, click on ‘Proceed’.
- Step 5: Confirm all the details related to your driving licence. Select ‘Renewal of Driving Licence’ and generate the acknowledgement slip. Take a printout of the same and keep it in handy as it is one of the essential documents required while applying for a driving licence renewal.
Once you know about the online renewal of a driving licence in Mumbai, let’s learn about the offline process.
Offline Application Process of Driving Licence Renewal in Mumbai
Applicants without internet access can apply for renewal of their driving licence offline by visiting the nearest RTO. One should acquire a driving licence renewal form in Mumbai or Form 9. Or, he/she can download it from the Parivahan Sewa portal.
Thereafter, fill in this form with relevant information, such as your name, driving licence number etc. Submit this duly signed form along with the required documents.
Further, if you are more than 40 years of age, submit Form 1-A signed by a registered medical practitioner. Also, pay the required renewal fees to complete the process. Once all your documents and form are verified, you will receive a driving licence.
What Are the Documents Required for Driving Licence Renewal in Mumbai?
You need to submit the documents listed below to complete the process of driving licence renewal in Mumbai:
- Form 9
- Form 1-A (for those aged 40 years and above)
- A copy of the expired driving licence
- Two passport-sized photos
- Documents such as an Aadhaar card for age and address proof
- Prescribed renewal fees and acknowledgement receipt
- If the document is from another Indian state, submit a No Objection Certificate from the licence issuing authority.
What Is the Driving Licence Renewal Fees in Mumbai?
One must pay the following renewal fees listed below while submitting your application driving licence renewal in Mumbai:
Renewal of driving licence (applicable for all vehicle classes)
Payment of fine after the completion of the expiry date
Additional payment to apply for a smart driving licence
How Long Is the Validity of a Driving Licence in Mumbai?
The validity of a driving licence in Mumbai is 20 years from its date of issue. Moreover, one must remember to apply for your driving licence within one month before its expiry.
How to Check the Driving Licence Renewal Status Online in Mumbai?
You can check the driving licence renewal status in Mumbai by following these simple steps:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of Paraivahan Sewa. Select the tab “Online Services” and choose “Driving Licence Related Services”.
- Step 2: Select “Maharashtra” as a state to proceed.
- Step 3: Choose “Application Status”. Then, enter the following data:
- Application number
- Date of birth
- Step 4: Enter the captcha and select “Submit”.
Important Guidelines to Follow During Driving Licence Renewal in Mumbai
Note the following guidelines to avoid inconvenience while applying for driving licence renewal in Mumbai:
- If your application for renewal of your driving licence exceeds 5 years, then apply for a new driving licence.
- If you have applied for the renewal of your driving licence within 30 days after its expiry, the renewal process will proceed from its expiry date.
- You need to pay an additional charge for a renewal application made after 30 days from the expiry date of your driving licence.
- You may apply for your driving licence renewal before one year of its expiry. Else, apply within a year after its expiry date.
- If you do not apply for renewal within one year after DL’s expiry, you must undertake a driving test again.
Besides being a legal requirement to drive on Indian roads, a driving licence serves as crucial identity proof. Hence, individuals should apply for a driving licence renewal in Mumbai online or offline, whichever method is more suitable for them. Also, they should keep the above guidelines in mind to avoid inconvenience while applying.