First, you need to write down or digitally track the expenditures you have been incurring for the preceding year. Then you must strike off the products or services you can easily do away with for the projected no-spending year. Now, you have to stick to the plan and refrain from unnecessary purchases like gifts, beauty products, household accessories, etc.
Tips for Successful No-Spend Challenge: Rules & How to do it
Are you feeling your income getting drained too fast lately? Most definitely, you are not the only person feeling this way. You should probably try cutting down expenses for a few weeks or wait until you get the next paycheck. What about following a no-spend challenge for a month?
These solutions mentioned in this article will boost your financial health and indirectly contribute towards debt repayments. Continue reading to know more about the no-spend challenge.
What Is a No-Spend Challenge?
You successfully fulfil a no-spend challenge when you take up the determination not to spend anything for a definite period. It does not mean that you cannot buy anything necessary in conducting daily chores. But you should certainly refrain from purchasing things that you had never considered a part of the budget.
You may follow this challenge for one month and even for a couple or few weekends. How sincerely you can stick to cutting down spending is more important than time.
What Are Some Tips for Doing a No-Spend Challenge?
1. Stock Up Necessary Commodities
There are certain items like grocery products, first aid kit, car essentials, etc., without which leading a normal life will be impossible. List down these products whichever is applicable in your daily life and consider creating a stock for the upcoming month or week.
Though this can incur a considerable upfront cost, it will help you stay away from the temptation of spending extra money during the no-spend challenge. Also, many retail stores and online shopping portals offer discounts when you order commodities in bulk. So, you also get these facilities and save more money in the process.
2. Unsubscribe from Commercial Emails and Uninstall Food Ordering or Shopping AppsThough these services are convenient, you can continue leading a normal life without these facilities for a few days. Again, following these practices not only saves money that you would have other spent on impulse purchases. It also offers additional benefits in the form of ‘welcome back bonuses’ and free coupons, some profitable elements you could have missed otherwise.
3. Plan on Spending More Time with Family at HomeOften it becomes difficult to pull off a disciplined no-spend challenge weekend if you have kids around. They will like to have fun when they are done with their studies or any training sessions they attend alongside. You can plan for some combined craft sessions or arrange indoor games to keep them entertained. This will rejuvenate the family bonding and will simultaneously cost you nothing.
4. Leave Behind MoneyIt is a pretty easy measure to follow. Often you will require getting outside to buy an essential item from the local store. At those times carry only the required amount to buy the item and prefer not to do online transactions. The underlying idea is not to lose self-control and buy things that are not actually needed at that moment.
5. Concentrate on Making New Plans Now and ThenOccasions not only tempt us to go for a shopping haul but we end up buying a bag of clothes or accessories even when we feel bored. Keep yourself engaged so that these thoughts can be averted consistently. One successful alternative to shopping can be arranging a clothes-swapping session with your friends in a domestic setting. These strategies are helpful even for students who have just started earning and cannot afford to update their wardrobe collection frequently.
6. Post Regarding Your No-Spend Challenge Online or Join a CommunityIt is a great method to include in your checklist as it adds to your accountability. Moreover, you can inspire people to join your journey and support you morally. Also, while doing this you can possibly come across financial experts who can voluntarily suggest some additional ways on how to save money.
How to Do a No-Spend Challenge?
Though apparently, the no-spend challenge rules may seem to be easy, it takes prep time when you train your mind not to get swayed by unnecessary stuff. Here is how you can put this system into place and get started right away:
Select a Favourable Time
It is the first task on your to-do list when you have determined to take up this challenge. Referring to the calendar, is there any major occasion or event that is scheduled to take place in the upcoming month? Then you must consider skipping that month for valid reasons as eventually, you have to spend on those days.
Search for Free Activities Nearby
We are tempted to join some fun events or attend a drive where we can meet people and socialise especially on our off days. Often local bodies organise free gatherings to serve a cause. These events can take place in any temple, local park, art gallery, etc. If you come across news of these things, ensure to make yourself available. It will help you pass the time and not indulge in unnecessary expenses.
Define a Weekly or Monthly Plan
When we are stressing about a plan, it will help the process if you pre-allocate whatever limited expenses cannot be avoided into various segments. It can be food budget costs, electricity bill expenses, etc. that keep on fluctuating from time to time. When you have planned the budget for each of these necessities you can regulate your actions accordingly. It will help you save a sizeable amount of money and help you towards your long-term money-making goal.
Get Your Close Ones Involved
It is a wise step to consider because it will help in bridging clear-cut communication. Moreover, they will also not tempt you to join an event or spend extra during that time as they know what you are up to. Family members and friends may even share additional methods on how to cut down expenses based on their experience in practical applications.
Monitor the Progress
You can measure your performance in a no-spend challenge period by either setting up a calendar format on your mobile device or simply marking the days on a piece of paper. Continue striking off the days that you have successfully passed spending less or as per your plan. Then, the next step will be to determine how much extra you have been able to save in the process. Keep on repeating this process to stay agile.
What Are the Benefits of a No-Spend Challenge?
Here are some of the well-proven benefits of a no-spend challenge:
It Saves Money
Following a no-spend week allows you to save money for an upcoming event or family occasion. Even if the money is not utilised, you can experience the savings piling up in due course of time.
You Gain a Positive Money Mindset
As you start the challenge, you become more concerned about how not to exceed the budgetary constraints. This in turn refreshes your money mindset and you learn how to better control cash flow.
This Challenge Develops Self-control
Without setting hard-to-follow rules we fail to lead a disciplined life most of the time. When you set harsh consequences in mind for cases when you fail to follow the no-spend challenge you automatically trigger situations that help you to cut down expenses arising from impulse buying.
What Are the Limitations of the No-Spend Challenge?
Though the benefits of a successful no-spend month are pronounced per a group of financial advisors, there are some demerits as well:
- Focusing too much on savings can sometimes make you compromise on present needs.
- It can hamper your relationship with family and friends if you have chosen a terrible time for the no-spend challenge.
- It can limit you from having fun which you could have otherwise experienced by attending once in a lifetime event.
What Can be Some Motivating Factors for Implementing No-Spend Challenge Rules?
The following motivating factors definitely fortify your willpower regarding why to start the no-spend challenge in the first place:
- To break poor spending habits
- To make the situation easier for debt repayments
- To save money for fulfilling long-term goals
- To stop impulse buying by instilling financial discipline for a set amount of time
The no-spend challenge is essential for individuals who usually live an unplanned life. It frequently becomes impossible for them to manage expenses, especially at the month's end, due to their unregulated lifestyle. This challenge helps you cut expenses arising from eating out, brisk trips, and frequent movie outings.
Though these disciplinary acts may torment you in the beginning, with time as you enjoy the benefits you will feel more motivated. Gradually you customise the plan as per your needs to make things easy.
FAQs about Tips for a Successful No-spend Challenge
The rule is simple; everything must start and end with a purpose. Once the purpose of serving a no-spending period ends, you must create a shopping list prioritising the need of the hour. Financial experts recommend paying in cash instead of credit or debit cards to eliminate the chances of overspending. Also, under any circumstances, you should stay within the expenditure budget and save at least 20% of your monthly income.
People frequently check their bank balances, leading to two peculiar scenarios. They resort to overspending on unnecessary things when they think they have sufficient funds. This happens due to their psychological fear and denial that otherwise make them believe they may not be able to live their desired lifestyle if they refrain from overspending for long.
Also, on the other hand, if you check the balance too frequently, you may feel demotivated if the accumulated funds are not up to your expectations.
Other Important Financial Planning Guides
Important Articles About Financial Planing
- This is an informative article provided on 'as is' basis for awareness purpose only and not intended as a professional advice. The content of the article is derived from various open sources across the Internet. Digit Life Insurance is not promoting or recommending any aspect in the article or its correctness. Please verify the information and your requirement before taking any decisions.
- All the figures reflected in the article are for illustrative purposes. The premium for Coverage that one buys depends on various factors including customer requirements, eligibility, age, demography, insurance provider, product, coverage amount, term and other factors
- Tax Benefits, if applicable depend on the Tax Regime opted by the individual and the applicable tax provision. Please consult your Tax consultant before making any decision.