No, accidental death does not cover death due to illness.
Is Accidental Death Covered in Your Term Insurance?
What Is Accidental Cover in Term Insurance?
Several policies cover some accidental deaths under the basic term insurance policy. However, for increased protection, you can purchase an accidental death cover along with your term plan.
This cover provides you with extended protection against other such deaths. Thus it will ultimately increase the chances of claim approval of your nominee. However, it is essential to know which deaths the basic plan covers so that, accordingly, you can purchase an additional accidental death rider.
What Are the Types of Accidental Deaths Covered in Term Insurance Policy
1. Death Due to DrowningIf you drown in a river during boating, the insurance company will provide coverage against it. However, they will conduct a thorough check to ensure that you have not violated any rule during boating and that you have followed all the necessary precautions. Only then will they approve your beneficiary's claim to your policy.
2. Death Due to Falling From a HeightThe insurance company will approve your beneficiary's claim if you die due to falling from great heights. This might include falling from the rooftop or a cliff. However, they will conduct a stringent check to verify if it was indeed an accident or a part of any conspiracy. Additionally, they would require your post-mortem report to confirm the incident.
3. Death Due to Road AccidentsDeath due to road accidents is highly common. There can be a variety of reasons behind such accidents. These include rash driving, driving under intoxication or due to the mistake of other vehicles. Although insurance companies provide coverage against accidental deaths, they stringently check whether you followed traffic rules while driving.
4. Death Due to Sudden FireFire is a common possibility and can occur due to short circuits, cylinder bursts and so on. If the burns are severe, they can even lead to the patient's death. Under such circumstances, the insurance companies will approve your nominee's claim to the policies. However, they will conduct a thorough check to verify if the fire was natural or if someone planned it.
5. Death Due to Getting Bitten by Insects
There are several insects whose bites can cause confirmed deaths. If it becomes the cause of your sudden death, the insurer will approve your nominees' claim to extend financial support to your family. However, they will check if any hidden pre-existing medical conditions were behind the complexities.
Apart from this, you should also know the deaths that are not covered under the basic term insurance policies.
What Are the Types of Accidental Deaths Not Covered in Term Insurance Policy
1. Death Due to SuicideInsurers do not cover the death that you deliberately bring on yourself. However, if you are suffering from depression, you must immediately consult a therapist to effectively deal with it. You can also practise meditation or watch motivational videos to resolve it effectively.
2. Death Due to Adventure SportsUndertaking adventurous sports results in an adrenaline rush and adds a thrill to your life. However, if any mishaps occur during such sports that lead to severe injuries, you might not be able to survive in extreme cases. Under such circumstances, if your beneficiary raises a claim for the policy, the insurer will not approve their claim.
3. Death Due to Unnatural CausesMost insurers do not approve your nominee's claim if you die due to any accidents caused during any illegal activity. This might include heinous crimes or death due to conspiracies that people often plan to acquire your wealth or for the purpose of revenge, etc. Thus, it will leave your family without any financial protection after your death.
4. Death Due to Driving Under IntoxicationDriving under a state of intoxication is a grave crime that no one should commit. This can result in the loss of not only your own life but also the life of another individual who was not at fault. So, if your insurer finds that you were driving under the influence of alcohol, leading to an accident and subsequent death, they will reject your nominee's claim.
5. Death Due to Overdose of Drugs
Taking drugs is another serious crime that insurers do not cover in a term plan. So, if you take drugs, and its overdose leads to your death, the insurance company will reject your nominee's claim to your term policy. Thus it will leave your loved ones without financial protection and exposed to a monetary crisis.
Now that you know which accidental deaths are covered in a term insurance policy, you can comfortably select the correct accidental plan with the coverage you need. However, before purchasing, you should thoroughly research the plans available.
FAQs about Accidental Death Cover in Term Insurance
No, accidental death does not cover heart attacks.
Accidental death cover is essential if you work in a place where the risks of an accident are high. For example, if you are a cab driver, use bikes as a mode of transport, or even when working in a factory with heavy machinery.
Other Important Term Insurance Guides
Other Important Articles Related to Term Insurance
- This is an informative article provided on 'as is' basis for awareness purpose only and not intended as a professional advice. The content of the article is derived from various open sources across the Internet. Digit Life Insurance is not promoting or recommending any aspect in the article or its correctness. Please verify the information and your requirement before taking any decisions.
- All the figures reflected in the article are for illustrative purposes. The premium for Coverage that one buys depends on various factors including customer requirements, eligibility, age, demography, insurance provider, product, coverage amount, term and other factors
- Tax Benefits, if applicable depend on the Tax Regime opted by the individual and the applicable tax provision. Please consult your Tax consultant before making any decision.