One of the best investment avenues for students is fixed deposits. It allows them to invest a specific sum of money for a fixed period of time at a fixed rate of interest. Thus, after maturity, they will be able to get their invested amount along with interest earned on it.
What Is the Importance of Saving Money for Students?
Saving involves much more than just simply managing your finances. It necessarily requires financial discipline to save money with time. In fact, it is extremely useful for students because the sooner they learn to save, the more they can financially grow with time.
To know the importance and benefits of saving money for students and where to invest money, read on more.
Why Is Saving Money Important for Students?
Savings are undoubtedly important for students as it provides them with a multitude of benefits associated with them, as discussed above. Therefore, one should start saving money from their childhood duration.
Here are some reasons why students should save their money for better use.
1. For Paying Off Educational Loans
In order to pay off educational loans, it is important for students to save money. Though there is some grace period provided, it will always be better to pay early.
Also, the sooner you pay off your educational loans; you will be able to put your focus on other important things in your life.
2. For Paying Off Their Relocation Expenses
After completing your studies, when you start looking for jobs, some companies ask you to relocate to a different destination. Though some companies pay for this relocation, most of them pay nothing.
So, students need to pay off their own relocation expenses from their savings. Thus, it also helps you out in missing out on any new opportunities.
3. For Availing of the Advantages of a Gap Year
After graduating your college, if you want to pursue your hobbies or passion or want to explore something more creative, then you cannot join a job immediately. Students who are desirous of doing so often take a year gap, but within this duration, their expenses remain throughout.
So, another advantage of saving money as a student is that it allows you to fund your expenses throughout your gap year. This helps you in passionately doing something for which you have taken this gap.
4. For Purchasing Your Work Essentialities
When you join a job after your college, a basic transformation is required from your dressing style to your overall personality. So, you need to purchase some formal dresses and other essential work-related things.
If you have saved money in your bank account, you can easily fund these shopping and makeover expenses. This will also enrich your confidence, so it's worth investing in.
5. For Buying Any Other Things Which Seems Essential
After joining your job in a different city, whether you want to rent an apartment or buy a transportation vehicle, you need funds to ease your lifestyle.
This is only possible if you have previously saved some money since you were a student.
So, these reasons completely justify the importance of saving money for students.
What are the Benefits of Saving Money for Students?
Saving is necessary for leading a meaningful life; however, the importance of saving money for students is immense.
Here are some benefits discussed:
1. Helps in Getting Into the Savings HabitStarting to save earlier inculcates the habit of savings in a student's life. During the early stage of their life, they learn to save and which ultimately helps them in future. Also, it prevents them from falling into the trap of depending upon paychecks throughout their life.
2. Encourages to Live Life Debt-Free
As a student, if you start saving money earlier on a regular basis, then you can live your life absolutely debt-free. You don't have to worry about credit card bills to pay for your regular expenses.
Also, you will be free from collecting debts, so there are fewer chances that you will ever have to face any debt-related troubles.
3. Reduces Your Financial StressIf you have money in your bank balance set aside for any emergency purpose, you can live your life stress-freely. Moreover, you can also invest this amount in any reliable saving scheme from the bank that offers a high rate of interest. This will also optimise your finances in the long run.
4. Achieves Financial Independence
Gaining financial freedom is one of the main motives behind saving money. As a student, if you start saving money, then when you grow up, then you will be able to take major life decisions on your own, without depending upon others.
Also, you will be able to sustain your lifestyle the way you want, irrespective of your paycheck amount.
5. Make Any Big-Ticket Purchase
While making any big-ticket purchase, you might have to take loans. But if you have some amount left aside, you can easily pay that upfront to get an excellent discount on items. Even you can negotiate better to get the items at the best rates.
This also prevents you from the burden of paying high-interest rates in the long run.
6. Helps Covering All Your Unforeseen ExpensesWhen unexpected situations arise, like any medical emergencies or something serious, then having some savings can help you in meeting these expenses. So, this is why saving money is important for students.
7. Allows You to Live Your Life Confidently
You can only live your life with unparalleled confidence if you know that you have set up a savings plan for your future. This will also help students make smart decisions related to their future studies or jobs or the career they want to excel in.
In fact, it develops confidence among students in their abilities. They gain confidence to handle any emergency or difficult situation without any hiccups.
8. Ensures You Never Compromise on Your Choices
When you have enough money in your savings, you never have to compromise with your choices. It also keeps other options always open for you. All impossible things seem to be possible.
You get endless opportunities knocking at your door, some of which might open new avenues in your life.
9. Plans for Retirement
The younger generation nowadays wants to enjoy their life and retire early. They don't want to wait till 60 for retirement. This is also why saving is important for students so that they can work hard for a few years. Then they could easily save the money in a bank account and plan their retirement.
So, if you want to live your life stress-freely, then you must understand the importance of saving money for students. Also, you must start saving as soon as possible.
What Are the Different Ways Through Which Student Can Invest Money?
In a financial journey, investments are equally important for students to secure their future. But as a student, sometimes it can be too challenging for them to decide where to invest and where not to.
Here are some ways through which they can start investing.
1. Consider Investing in a Low-Risk Financial Product
One of the best ways to boost your finance as a student is by investing in some low-risk financial products. It can be a certificate of deposit, a high-yield savings account or even an insurance product.
As these financial products offer guaranteed returns and cover risks as well, it is worth investing in.
2. Invest in Mutual Funds
Students should conduct some research and analyse which mutual funds will be profitable for them in the long run. Thus, they can also spend a fraction of their savings on mutual funds.
After investing for some time, if they find it profitable, then they can also expand their portfolio by investing in debt or equity funds.
3. Consider Investing in ULIPs
Another promising investment option for students is ULIP or Unit-Linked Investment Plan. This financial product provides dual benefits of investment as well as life insurance coverage.
What makes this the best option for investors is that it offers good returns with enough flexibility to make investments in funds. Also, it provides them access to manage their portfolio as per their financial circumstances and requirements.
4. Invest in Bonds
In order to raise capital from the general public, some private business organisations and the government supply bonds. In return for these bonds, the investors could earn some amount at a fixed interest rate.
It is one of the most lucrative options for students to invest in. After the maturity period, the investors will get cash invested along with interest added to it.
5. Make Investments in Crowdfunding
Investors often provide funds for completing some ventures and projects. This is known as crowdfunding. Students can invest a small portion of their savings in these, as it is an educational and interesting way to invest.
Apart from these, there are other ways of investing as well for students. Like, if you have a basic knowledge regarding the stock market, you can invest a small amount in that as well. Even you can educate yourself regarding different stocks and shares along with associated risks to get familiar with this and then invest.
Thus, after going through this blog, one would definitely understand the importance of saving money for students. Also, one would get to know the benefits of saving money as well as the different ways in which students can invest their savings to earn more.
FAQs About the Importance of Saving Money for Students
Yes, money is a powerful and effective motivator for students. With money, they gain confidence in their abilities. This helps them to achieve better in their life. They also work hard to increase their standards and productivity.
Students can spend money wisely by following some general principles specified below:
- Beware of how much you are spending
- Avoid spending impulsively
- Make smart decisions while spending
- Look for cheaper alternatives.
Here are five reasons why students should start a savings account:
- Because of funds safety
- Because of its unique features and services
- It helps in generating interest
- For organising finances in a better way
- For easy convenience of payments
Other Important Articles Related to Financial Planning for Students
Important Articles About Financial Planing
- This is an informative article provided on 'as is' basis for awareness purpose only and not intended as a professional advice. The content of the article is derived from various open sources across the Internet. Digit Life Insurance is not promoting or recommending any aspect in the article or its correctness. Please verify the information and your requirement before taking any decisions.
- All the figures reflected in the article are for illustrative purposes. The premium for Coverage that one buys depends on various factors including customer requirements, eligibility, age, demography, insurance provider, product, coverage amount, term and other factors
- Tax Benefits, if applicable depend on the Tax Regime opted by the individual and the applicable tax provision. Please consult your Tax consultant before making any decision.