Firstly, setting the underlying goals is necessary to remain practical. Next, while making a particular decision, it is necessary to focus on the consequences. The goal is to avoid mistakes arising from instinctive decisions. Lastly, it is crucial to plan ahead of time and saving for emergencies is crucial.
How to Stick to a Personal 5-Year Financial Plan for Best Results?
There is no denying the fact that financial stability is a key determiner when it comes to the practice of leading a good life. Having a personal 5-year financial plan helps you address your aspirations and simultaneously achieve the daily milestones.
Before we begin discussing methods on how to prepare a personal financial plan, it is necessary to understand its importance. To know these things in more detail, continue reading.
What Does a 5-Year Financial Plan Include?
A 5-year financial plan includes a collection of strategies required to accomplish all the goals within the projected period. Nowadays, you can even find a 5-year personal financial plan template on several websites, which are immensely helpful and affordable.
If you wish to take it a further step ahead, then consider visiting financial consultancy providers to get a more customised solution on:
- Debt clearance
- Cutting down utility expenses
- Finding better measures to save for contingency fund
- Looking for profitable investment opportunities
- Devising new income streams as per your skillset, etc.
Why Is a 5-Year Personal Financial Plan Important?
When you set up a personal 5-year financial plan, you already have the steps required to accomplish the end goals summed up in your head. These guidelines urge you to take actions aligning with long-term plans.
Also, before you decide to follow these outright plans, you generally consult with your family members to get their moral support. Sharing these goals makes you feel more accountable, which in turn assists you in staying disciplined with your spending habits. Lastly, writing down your goals keeps you motivated. Additionally, you do not forget midway through why you decided to make such a plan.
How to Make a 5-Year Financial Plan?
Step 1: Set Some Realistic GoalsGoal-setting must not be so ambitious that it becomes next to impossible to achieve them in the upcoming five years, given your current income status. To ensure this, you should rightly assess your present situation and conduct sufficient introspection to identify the lists of ‘wants’ and ‘needs’. We miss this step each time and often establish goals by taking ideas from our peers. Thus the success rate significantly drops given everyone has a unique income potential.
Step 2: Make Sure the Goals Are PreciseAccuracy in goal prediction makes it easy to track progress later on. Thus financial advisors help you to attain specificity when you communicate your intentions roughly regarding time-bound goals. For instance, instead of just hoping to get a substantial appraisal in your current workplace soon, aim for an achievable target. It can be as simple as working to the best of your capacity to attain a salary hike of 15% by the end of the current quarter.
Step 3: Record Every DecisionOnce an intention has been formally incorporated into a blueprint, it gets imprinted in your brain. You can revisit the written note or digital document as often as you want to affirm the sense of commitment. Ensure to store it in an easy-to-access location for optimal results.
Step 4: Address All the Key Elements While Making a Plan
Now, this is actually where you step into the explicit personal 5-year financial plan creation process. First, you calculate your approximate net worth. To find this, you should know the total amount of available funds; get a precise idea of existing debts and insurance policies.
Then you must devise investment ideas to create a revenue source for all your needs. Finally, you must plan for retirement funds and long-term goals following any conventional savings principle that suits your income status.
What Are the Benefits of Having a Personal 5-Year Financial Plan?
1. Establish SMART GoalsAs you cannot initiate a financial plan without adequate clarity in goal setting, you assess your requirements and personalise the goals. Moreover, you get the opportunity to revise your goals more often as you expect results within five years. If some of the ambitions are not aligned with available resources or values, you can simply rearrange the list of priorities to ensure maximum progress within a set period.
2. Become Habituated to Sound Financial Decision-MakingHandling personal finance frequently leads to problems as people tend to stay secretive regarding their financial well-being. Such tendencies give rise to even more significant issues whenever you make a big financial decision. Hence, having a 5-year financial plan carved out in advance boosts your confidence and provides you peace of mind.
3. Helps to Establish Performance Standards
When referring to performance standards, we mean deploying various ways to track progress in savings, expenses, investments, etc. Some ideal benchmarks that can be set up while beginning a course of action as per a financial plan include:
- Completing 50% of the house loan repayment by the end of 10 years
- Securing a 15% increment in savings rate by the age of 35
- Procuring family health coverage of ₹10 lakhs by the end of 2027, etc.
When set up in advance, these definite goals ensure smooth progress towards the end goal. Also, you stay motivated as you break the targets into smaller segments instead of getting demotivated while chasing the bigger goal.
How to Track the 5-Year Financial Plan?
First, you must ensure that the goals are written on paper or saved in a document format. Then you have to review those elements against your performance for the past few months.
You can do this manually by maintaining a log or downloading and filling out a personal 5-year financial plan template. The idea is not to lose the urge to work towards your goals systematically. If you choose to go passive for long, it will not only hamper the chances of spotting an advantageous opportunity but may also result in substantial financial loss. If the latter scenario occurs, your long-term goals will get delayed causing acute financial hardships like increased dependency on loans.
A personal 5-year financial plan ensures your resources get to work evenly to realise multiple goals simultaneously. Therefore once you have drawn a plan, the idea is to keep on reviewing it and making necessary changes. As the 5-year period is an ideal timeframe to cast meaningful changes in one’s financial standpoint, you will eventually appreciate the pronounced benefits.
FAQs about Personalised 5-year Financial Plan
We recommend you look for qualified help from financial planners as they know effective ways to track progress. Moreover, they can arrange financing options after noting the budgetary difficulties you consistently face. Finally, they can review the deployed strategies from time to time, figuring out vital areas that result in swift drainage of in-hand cash.
Paying off a personal loan can be a component in your 5-year personal financial planning process. It may be a repayment policy designed to pay back the money borrowed to buy a car. Some other examples can be arranging sufficient funds to start a business, planning for a child’s higher education, etc.
Other Important Articles Related to Financial Planning & Analysis
Important Articles About Financial Planing
- This is an informative article provided on 'as is' basis for awareness purpose only and not intended as a professional advice. The content of the article is derived from various open sources across the Internet. Digit Life Insurance is not promoting or recommending any aspect in the article or its correctness. Please verify the information and your requirement before taking any decisions.
- All the figures reflected in the article are for illustrative purposes. The premium for Coverage that one buys depends on various factors including customer requirements, eligibility, age, demography, insurance provider, product, coverage amount, term and other factors
- Tax Benefits, if applicable depend on the Tax Regime opted by the individual and the applicable tax provision. Please consult your Tax consultant before making any decision.