Birth Control Shot: Advantages, How Does It Work & Side Effects
Birth control shot is a widely used injectable contraceptive measure. It is also known as the Depo-Provera. These are scheduled contraceptive measures and are highly effective if the dosage is taken on time. It has long-term effects and keeps the worries of contraception away for long durations, and is safe to use.
How Does Birth Control Shot Work?
Depo-Provera consists of a hormone called progestin. It blocks the ovulation process by restricting the egg's release from the ovaries. In addition, it thickens the mucus on the cervix, preventing the sperm from passing through the cervix to the egg. Thus eliminating the chances of pregnancy.
How to Get a Birth Control Shot?
These shots are given to an individual only when prescribed by a doctor. After that, one can take the shot from a local healthcare centre or after consulting a specialist.
How to Get Effective Results From Birth Control Shots?
In order to get effective results, one must take a shot of Depo-Provera every 12-14 weeks. After that, women can take these shots anytime during their cycle. However, an alternative birth control measure must be used for the first week after getting a shot.
However, If the shot is taken within 7 days after periods, it immediately eliminates pregnancy chances. Hence, taking the shots at scheduled intervals ensures maximum effectiveness.
How Effective Is the Birth Control Shot?
These shots are 94% effective. However, if not taken correctly within the scheduled period, its effectiveness might not be fruitful.
What Are the Side Effects of Birth Control Shots?
A few side effects of Depo-Provera are as follows:
- Changes in the menstrual cycle
- Change in appetite
These are a few common side effects. However, different women may experience different side effects. Therefore, it is suggested to consult a doctor immediately if any other medical condition occurs.
Is it Safe to Use the Birth Control Shot?
The birth control shot is deemed rather safe to use, but there are chances that women may develop blood clots after injecting them.
Moreover, people having the following medical conditions should strictly avoid taking the shot:
- Breast cancer
- Liver disease
- History of strokes
- History of heart diseases
What Are the Advantages of Birth Control Injections?
Some benefits of birth control injections are as follows:
- First, unlike other contraceptive measures, there is no need to take them before or after intercourse.
- It provides long-term protection from pregnancy. Taking one shot of Depo-Provera eliminates the chances of pregnancy for 12-14 weeks. So the effects could be long-lasting as long as they are taken at regular intervals.
- It is highly effective. The effectiveness of most of the contraceptive measures is between 90-91%, whereas the birth control injection is 94% effective.
- Taking a shot does not interfere with sexual activity.
What Are the Disadvantages of Using Birth Control Injections?
This is a safe contraceptive measure. However, there are certain disadvantages that come along with it:
- While planning for pregnancy, one needs to stop taking the shots several months beforehand.
- It can cause irregular period cycles. Women may experience spotting, heavy bleeding than usual or no periods at all, especially for the first six months of taking the shot.
- Women need to visit the clinic every time they need to get a shot. However, this might be inconvenient for some people.
- Some women may face an allergic reaction due to some of the components in the injection.
- It does not provide protection against sexually transmitted diseases.
- Some women may have an allergic reaction due to some components present in it.
How Is It Different From Other Contraceptive Measures?
It has an efficiency rate of 94%. In addition, unlike birth control pills, these shots do not need to be taken regularly. Therefore, there is no need to remember to take the pills every day if you’re taking the shots.
The birth control shot is an effective contraceptive used by numerous women. It has long-term effects and does not require regular use. The risks involved are minor, and they also come at affordable rates. In today's busy world, a long-term contraceptive solution is chosen by most women, which makes this a reliable contraceptive measure.