Get Pet Insurance for your Cat & Dog
Terms and conditions apply*
How Do Dogs Benefit Human Health
It is known that dogs are a great way to boost human health. They have several positive effects on people and are a great way to overcome stress. Doctors advise people who deal with mental health problems to adopt pets. Keep reading to learn about the health benefits of dogs on humans.
What Are the Health Benefits of Dogs on Humans?
Playing with a dog has many positive health benefits for humans. It is scientifically proven that they lower humans heart rate and help overcome stress. Listed below are a few health benefits that come from playing with dogs.
1. Physical Benefits
People who own a dog are more likely to be healthier than those who do not. Dogs are extremely playful and need a companion to play with, which adds a lot of physical activity to their owner's routine.
Listed below are some physical benefits of owning a dog:
- Increased Exercise That Helps in Weight Loss: Most people cannot commit to regular exercising due to various reasons. However, when people own a dog, they develop a habit of playing with them regularly, which makes up for their negligence in exercising. Dog owners have better stamina than most people, irrespective of their age group.
- Having a Pet Is Good For the Heart: People who suffer from heart disease and own a pet are more likely to live longer than those who don't own pets. Playing with a dog can lower blood pressure and reduce the risks of a heart attack. Having a pet reduces the impact of stressful situations on the heart and adds more days to an individual's life.
- Having a Pet Helps Maintain a Balanced Lifestyle: A routine in lifestyle is as important for pets as it is for humans. Maintaining a strict routine concerning meals and outdoor activities is an important part of owning a pet. Otherwise, careless individuals tend to have an increased sense of responsibility regarding their pets. This, in turn, gives balance to their lifestyle.
2. Mental Benefits
Adopting a dog is one of the greatest ways to cope with mental health problems, and it is a proven fact and is recommended by doctors worldwide.
Listed below are a few mental health benefits of dogs to humans:
- Dogs Make Humans Feel Less Lonely: Suffering from loneliness is a common problem among adults. Some people suffer from social anxiety and find it difficult to interact or socialise. However, having a dog helps fight the feeling of loneliness. Apart from playing with them, interactions with pets also play a huge role in fighting loneliness. Besides, they provide great emotional support and are a source of constant cuddles. Moreover, owning a dog also helps increase social interaction. Dog owners often find people walking up to them to play with their dogs. This, in turn, makes the owner socialise with more people.
- Dog Owners Are Less Likely to Suffer From Depression: Depression has been a common cause of concern among people. Various things bother an individual that they cannot speak about. For people going through depression, interactions with their pets make a lot of difference. Moreover, to be able to speak their mind without being judged takes a lot of their burden away and calms them down. Therapists also suggest this method for those who struggle to express their thoughts. Moreover, there is a method of treatment called pet therapy, where individuals cope with physical and mental disorders.
- Playing or Interacting With Dogs can Lower Stress Levels: While many activities like yoga and meditation are known to relieve stress, owning a pet is just as impactful. In fact, it is recommended by counsellors to adopt a pet to cope with stress. A small amount of time spent with a pet every day can be highly beneficial to one’s health. It helps reduce anxiety and lowers the heart rate. Moreover, it increases the levels of serotonin and dopamine in the body. These are neurochemicals that are associated with the feeling of relaxation, satisfaction, and happiness.
- Dogs Help Their Owners Deal With Crisis: Dogs cannot provide concrete solutions during times of crisis, but their presence makes a difference. They are a great source of mental support and provide help psychologically.
What Are the Health Benefits of Dogs on Children and Seniors?
Having a dog has several positive health and lifestyle benefits. Mentioned below are some ways in which dogs are beneficial to children and senior citizens.
Health Benefits of Having a Dog for Children
When children grow up with pets, they benefit both mentally and physically. They develop an emotional attachment with the four-legged animal and learn values like compassion and empathy. At the same time, playing with them adds to the child's physical growth.
Below are a few ways in which children benefit from having a dog:
- Establishing a Secured Environment at Home: Having a dog at home can provide children with a sense of security and comfort the whole time. Having a dog is very similar to having a human. The more time children spend with their pets, the less needy they are of their parents. It helps children develop a bond away from their parents and reduces the fear of separation anxiety.
- Improving Emotional Quotient Among Children: Children who grow up having an emotional attachment to a pet tend to develop better relationships with other people. They also develop a sense of responsibility from taking care of their pet.
- Developing a Sense of Affection for Animals Among Kids: Children who grow up with dogs often do not fear animals and instil a sense of affection towards them. They grow up to be individuals who cause no harm to animals.
- Better Managing of Over-Aggression in Children: Certain studies have shown that having a pet dog is a great way to handle hyperactive and over-aggressive children.
- Building a Better Childhood: Having a dog for a pet ensures that the child will be physically active. Dogs are very playful animals and can play throughout the day if they have company. Playing with a dog adds to a child’s stamina and keeps the child healthy.
Health Benefits of Having a Dog for Senior Citizens
People in their old age go through various life changes. Several concerns relating to work, family, and health might disrupt the balance in their life. In such situations, having a dog adds calmness and joy to their lives.
Mentioned below are a few ways in which senior citizens benefit from having a dog:
- Providing Emotional Comfort Among Elders: During old age, people undergo drastic changes in their life, like retirement or losing a family member. They spend much of their time alone or idle due to the change of events. In such cases, having a dog does not just provide them with emotional support and comfort and helps them spend their time in peace. They have somebody to look after and spend their time with. This brings back purpose and joy in their lives.
- Offering a Happy and Active Lifestyle: Having a dog keeps people physically active. It is very beneficial for older people to play with dogs, and keeps them physically healthy and happy.