Trademark Registration in Surat
Surat is a city in Gujarat, famously known for its textile and diamond industry. Recently, it has also become an ideal place for various start-up businesses. Whether it is a new or an existing business, trademark registration is necessary as it protects your brand identity.
Therefore, it is necessary to get trademark registration in Surat under the Trademarks Act 1999. It will also prevent your competitors from stealing by creating a similar mark.
What Are the Different Types of Trademark Registration?
The different types of Trademark Registration are as follows:
- Pattern Mark: This is for products having one unique pattern for a set of same products.
- Certification Mark: It is issued by a proprietor to guarantee the product’s standard to the general public.
- Sound Mark: It is to help the general public identify a product with its sound. It becomes a unique feature of the product.
- Collective Mark: This mark is used by a group of people to protect goods/services.
- Shape Mark: It helps to define a product to its owner such that it is relatable to the owner. The general public can associate that particular good with that of the company, thus creating a distinguished place of the good in the market.
- Product Mark: It helps to define the product, its origin and maintain the owner’s business reputation. It gives an identification and recognition to a particular product, or good.
- Service Mark: Service Mark is used to represent any business and helps distinguish an owner and proprietor of a company.
What Are the Classifications of Trademark Registration in Surat?
Surat has 45 trademark classes for goods and services. You must be careful while selecting the classes for your company's goods and services. Moreover, if your business offers multiple goods or services, register under all relevant classes. It is mandatory to register trademarks for each applicable class.
What Are the Eligibility Criteria for Trademark Registration in Surat?
Any individual or business, the owner of any brand or logo, is applicable for trademark registration in Surat. The application form is available in both English and Hindi. Further, the applicant has to submit documents providing product or service details and trademark details.
What Are the Documents Required for Trademark Registration in Surat?
Listed below are the documents you are required to present for trademark registration in Surat:
- Name of the applicant
- Address proof the applicant
- Identity proof of the applicant
- Business proof document
- Brand/ slogan/ logo name
- Business-type document
- Udyog Aadhaar for MSME registration certificate
- A signed TM-48 form
- Trademark Registration Certificate or invoice
What Are the Steps in the Online Process of Trademark Registration in Surat?
You can do online trademark registration in Surat through the IP India Trademark website. Furthermore, the steps to register a trademark online are as follows:
Step 1: First, you must create an account by visiting the website.
Step 2: Then fill out your details, trademark details, and the class of goods and services.
Step 3: After filling in the details, you must pay the fee and submit the application form.
What Are the Steps in the Offline Process of Trademark Registration in Surat?
The trademark registration process in Surat includes various steps. Following is a step-by-step procedure that you must follow to undergo brand registration in Surat:
Step 1: Trademark Search- First, research existing trademarks that may conflict with your proposed trademark. You can check whether it is similar by visiting the Trademark Registry's online database. Figuring out a unique trademark will help protect your data from copying or any objection by your competitors.
Step 2: Filling the Application Form- After completing trademark research, you need to identify the class or classes of goods or services for which your trademark will be applicable. You must fill out the application form online or by visiting the Trademark Registry Office. Form 48 and TM1 are the application forms to get your trademark registered.
Step 3: Examination- When you have completed filling out the trademark application form, the Registrar reviews your application and conducts an examination. The Registrar checks whether the proposed trademark meets the requirements for registration.
Step 4: Publication- If the Registrar approves your trademark application, it will be published in the Indian Trademark Journal for a period of 90 days. During the publication period, any individual can object to your trademark application if they believe it conflicts with their own rights.
Step 5: Opposition- When there is a chance of opposition by any third party for trademark registration in Surat, you must submit a counter statement to the Registrar. This statement must be submitted within 2 months of publication, providing a valid reason. Based on that, the Registrar decides whether to call for a hearing or dismiss the opposition.
Step 6: Registration- When you have completed all the above processes, and no opposition to the trademark is left, you will receive a trademark registration certificate. The registration certificate will be issued for 8 months to 1 year and processed by the Trademark Office. You can consult a trademark attorney to guide you through the application process. They will ensure that your application is filled out correctly and meets all the legal requirements.
What are the Steps to Check Trademark Application Status?
Follow the given steps to check a trademark application status:
Step 1: Go to the official website of IP India Trademark .
Step 2: Click on the ‘Trade Mark Application/Registered Mark tab’.
Step 3: Select the option ‘National/IRDI Number’.
Step 4: Enter ‘Trade Mark/Application Number. Then type in the captcha/code correctly.
Step 5: Click on the ‘View’ button. Finally, here you can see all the particulars and status of your trademark application completion.
How Much Does Trademark Registration Cost in Surat?
The cost of this logo registration in Surat varies depending on the number of classes you want to register your trademark. Generally, the amount ranges from ₹4500 to ₹9000 for a single class of goods or services. It varies depending on whether you are going for government or professional fees.
For each additional class, you need to pay additional fees. You can also contact a trademark agent. However, it might cost more but saves time and ensures you properly fill out the application.
Note: Objections Dependent Costs Drafting legal responses to objections can and would depend on how complex the matter is.
What Are the Benefits of Trademark Registration in Surat?
The benefits of trademark registration in Surat are the following:
- Legal Protection: A legal protection will protect the owner against anybody else duplicating its trademark. It will also benefit the owner to raise any legal complaint against any such fraudulent activities.
- Asset to a Organisation: A trademark becomes an intangible asset to an organisation. It further helps to increase the valuation of the company.
- Exclusivity: Exclusivity of the goods or services allows its owner to enjoy sole ownership of the goods or services. It helps prevent any illegal and unauthorised use of the owner’s brand, and in case if anyone does so, the owner can freely file a legal complaint. Further, to use the trademark, anyone has to take an approval from the owner of that trademark.
- Prestige and Goodwill: Firstly, it helps associate products, or services with a particular company. As customers gain an understanding of the quality of these products and services, they associate a designated reputation of that quality with the owner. This helps gain goodwill and increases the market value of the company.
- Global Recognition: In conclusion, trademark registration is essential for protecting your business and creating brand recognition. By registering, you can prevent your competitors from copying the same brand or logo name without your permission. It also helps you to gain customer trust and establish credibility of the company.