Covering COVID-19 for safe travels!
Most Popular(You can select more than one)
Terms and conditions
A Quick Guide on Acquiring German Citizenship for Indians
Getting foreign citizenship has become a common demand with the wave of globalisation. Indians working in different parts of Europe try to secure citizenship for a consistent career and standard of life. However, the process of securing one can be complicated. Applicants need to know the procedure for avoiding the rejection of their applications.
Do you wish to know more about the ways to get German citizenship for Indians? Then, read till the end of this article to acquire further knowledge on it.
Who Is Eligible to Get a German Citizenship for Indians?
While trying to get citizenship in Germany for Indians, applicants should be aware of the eligibility criteria. These are as follows.
- Applicants must have lived in Germany for at least eight years. In another case, they must have stayed here with a residence permit for about seven years and attended an integration course.
- They must be proficient in the German language of at least B1.
- Applicants should be able to take care of themselves and their families financially.
- They should be law-abiding applicants without any criminal records.
- Furthermore, they should pass a citizenship test.
What Is the Application Process for Getting German Citizenship?
Now the question is, how to get German citizenship for Indians? The following steps will guide you through the application process.
Step 1: Start by getting an application form. You can procure it from one of the following places.
- Local immigration office
- City council
- Regional district office
- Town Council or other local authorities
Step 2: Read all the requirements and instructions carefully. Fill out the application form with accurate data.
Step 3: Appear for the citizenship test. This test will comprise about 33 MCQs on German living, society, rules, and laws, and you need at least 17 correct answers to pass.
Step 4: Pay the application fees and submit the form with all the documents. Then, please wait for the officers to investigate your documents and reveal their decision.
What Are the Documents Required to Apply for German Citizenship?
You must be curious to know the requirements of German citizenship for Indians. Applicants will have to produce at least one of the following documents while submitting the application form.
- A German-language certificate such as the Zertifikat Deutsch
- Certificate of an integration course, such as the DTZ – German test for immigrants
- Admission proof or certification of completing a German secondary school
- Proof of completing higher education degrees in German
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
What Is the Processing Fee to Apply for German Citizenship as an Indian?
The German government charges some fees from the applicants for the naturalisation of citizenship. Adults need to pay an application fee of €255. Children under the age of 16 years will have to pay €51. On the other hand, they will have to pay about €25 for the citizenship test. For collecting the citizenship certificate, another fee of €25 will be levied.
Does Germany Allow Dual Citizenship?
Unfortunately, Germany does not allow dual citizenship outside Europe. Thus, Indian citizens planning to apply for German citizenship will have to renounce their Indian citizenship. However, this does not apply to European citizens. They can keep their original citizenship while gaining German citizenship.
Does a Child Born in Germany Receive Citizenship by Birth?
you can be a German citizen if your parents were German by birth or Indians, and gained citizenship by naturalisation. Moreover, one can pass German citizenship through descent. If a child has German parents and grandparents, he or she can be a German citizen by birth even after staying abroad. However, if your mother was German but married your non-German father, you might not become a German citizen by descent. You will have to gain derivative naturalisation.
Why Are Applications for German Citizenship Rejected and How to Avoid it?
Several reasons are contributing to the rejection of an application. Therefore, applicants need to avoid these mistakes for enhancing the chances of their approval. These reasons are discussed below.
1. Conduct and residence
The immigration experts are likely to investigate your past as a resident in Germany. In this regard, any bad conduct during your stay can negatively impact your application. Moreover, if you apply forgery in your residence document, your application can get rejected. Thus, you should avoid such issues.
2. Citizenship test and dual citizenship
You must pass the citizenship test, an essential requirement. Failing this will reject your application. Moreover, if you are not from India or other European countries, you must renounce your previous citizenship. Dual citizenship often harms your citizenship.
3. Taxes and financial stability
The immigration experts will check your financial stability. You must be able to pay all your taxes. Moreover, you should be financially stable and support your family financially. The inability to make all the required financial payments is necessary for getting German citizenship.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please try one more time!
Other Important Articles about Citizenship
Disclaimer - The information mentioned here about the countries, visa fees and others is taken from different sources. Digit Insurance is not promoting or recommending anything here. Please verify the same before you book your tickets, apply for a visa, buy a travel policy or make any other decision.
Get our app
- Third Party Car Insurance
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Car Insurance
- NCB in Car Insurance
- IDV Calculator for Car
- Bumper to Bumper Car Insurance
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Own Damage Car Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Insurance
- Compare Car Insurance
- Find Vehicle Registration Details Online
- Third Party Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive Bike Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Bike Insurance
- NCB in Two Wheeler Insurance
- IDV Value Calculator for Bike
- Add-on Cover in Bike Insurance
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- Own Damage Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Bike Insurance
- Compare Bike Insurance
- Royal Enfield Insurance
- TVS Insurance
- Hero Bike Insurance
- Types of Insurance
- Types of General Insurance
- Types of Motor Insurance
- International Driving License
- Visa on Arrival for Indians
- Visa Free Countries for Indians
- Comprehensive vs Zero Depreciation
- Coronavirus Health Insurance
- Coronavirus Symptoms Checker
- Indian Passport Rank
- Digit Illness Group Insurance
- Hero Splendor Insurance
- Access Insurance
- Scooty Insurance
- SME Buddy Calculator
- Home Loan EMI Calculator
- Bike Loan EMI Calculator
- Car Loan EMI Calculator
- HRA Exemption Calculator
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- RD Calculator
- SWP Calculator
- GST Calculator
- PPF Calculator
- Personal Loan EMI Calculator
- EMI Calculator
- Individual Income Tax Slab
- Tax Saving Options other than 80C
- Business Insurance
- Management Liability Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Workmen Compensation Insurance
- Fidelity Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Money Insurance Policy
- Sign Board Insurance
- Plate Glass Insurance
- Erection All Risk Insurance
- Contractors' All Risks Insurance
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance
- Marine Cargo Insurance
- Contractors Plant and Machinery Insurance
CIN: U66010PN2016PLC167410, IRDAI Reg. No. 158.
Go Digit General Insurance Limited (formerly known as Oben General Insurance Ltd.) - Registered Office Address - 1 to 6 floors, Ananta One (AR One), Pride Hotel Lane, Narveer Tanaji Wadi, City Survey No.1579, Shivaji Nagar, Pune-411005, Maharashtra | Corporate Office Address - Atlantis, 95, 4th B Cross Road, Koramangala Industrial Layout, 5th Block, Bengaluru-560095, Karnataka