Stolen bags or picked pockets make for a bad trip
Are there any hotspots for pickpockets that I need to be wary of?
Largely the high-density tourist places, public transport and other such crowded tourist attractions like restaurants and beaches. Some tourist destinations popular for pickpocketing are Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Athens!
What if my wallet gets stolen?
One of the worst things that could happen while travelling is losing your wallet! The first thing to keep in mind when one encounters such a situation, is to keep your cool and not to panic. Not having your cards and cash is a huge problem in itself and if one panics, then it would certainly add to the problem.
Is there any travel insurance that protects against stolen bags and wallets?
Pickpocketing is all too common when travelling abroad, with organized crime networks who often target tourists. Hence it is advisable to get yourself a travel insurance which provides appropriate coverage according to your city and conditions.
Digit’s Travel insurance, for instance, has a Financial Emergency Cash cover that gives you a benefit amount as per your chosen plan in case your wallet gets picked or bag is stolen.
Okay, so what should I do in case my wallet gets stolen?
- Report it! - For stolen items, you’ll need to report the theft to the police within 24 hours of it taking place and get a written police report.
- Track and block your gadgets and cards - Try calling your service provider and bank and block your services and debit/ credit cards. You can also use tracking apps to check your phone’s location
- Contact your insurance company - If your insurance policy covers loss of baggage/personal belongings they may reimburse for the lost items. You’ll need to keep all your reports and receipts when you claim. Failing to produce required documents may reduce or reject your claim.
How to file a claim with Digit?
- Any such loss should immediately (not exceeding 48 hours) be reported to our travel claim helpline. Just drop a missed call to our tollfree number at +91-7303470000 (from wherever in the world you are) and we’ll call you back in 10 minutes.
- Make sure to report the case to police of the foreign country within 24 hours of loss and share the report with the Digit team
- We’ll send you a link on your mobile number where you can upload certain documents and your bank account details.
- We will pay up to the amount stated in the Policy Schedule to replace the amount of travel funds lost.
While travel insurance isn't there to cover your wallet being skimmed, it can help with the cost to replace your items. Get your trip insured with Digit. Know more/ Buy now.