Travel Insurance that Covers Delayed/Lost Baggage
Get Travel Insurance starting from ₹200 only.
Most Popular(You can select more than one)
Terms and conditions
All you need to know about delayed baggage (or worse, a lost one!)
What is delayed baggage or lost baggage?
Specifically, this relates to the status of your checked-in baggage while you’re taking a flight. Upon arrival, if your bags don’t turn up at the carousel, it could either be delayed (may arrive later) or permanently lost (not arrive at all!)
What causes a checked-in baggage to be delayed?
There are a few reasons why your checked-in baggage is not on time:
- A full flight: If you’re flying a flight that’s at 100% capacity and all passengers are carrying a lot of baggage, it could actually take a lot of time to unload all the bags, especially at smaller airports. In rare cases, bags might be left behind at the source city, to be flown in later on another flight
- Extreme weather: If you’ve landed at your destination and there is severe weather such as storms, heavy rain and lightning, the ground crew i.e. the baggage handlers might be ordered inside until the weather clears. And no baggage handlers, means no one to unload your bags!
What causes a checked-in baggage to be lost?
A couple of reasons why that happens:
- Human error: Either your baggage gets loaded onto the wrong luggage cart or, while checking-in, the attendant types in the wrong destination airport code. Either way, your suitcase gets onto the wrong plane and ends up taking a trip to a totally different destination!
- Routing label damage: Especially on connecting flights, if the tag on your suitcase is misprinted or gets torn off mid-way, your suitcase can never make it onto your flight.
Is there an Insurance plan that covers these cases?
You know that sinking feeling when you’re waiting at the luggage carousel, and it finally grinds to a halt… without your bag appearing. All those clothes, the sunscreen, more importantly, all that trip cash – gone without a trace. But all need not be lost…
Thankfully, there’s insurance (such as Digit’s Travel Insurance) that covers your checked-in baggage for these specific instances:
- Delay of checked-in baggage
- Loss of checked-in baggage
What is the advantage of having insurance like these?
Bad Trip 1: “I’ve just been told by the airline that my baggage is delayed! What insurance benefit do I get?”
If your checked-in baggage is delayed by more than a certain time, you will get a benefit amount as specified in your plan. Use the money to buy essentials/clothes to help tide you over the delay.
Digit’s international travel insurance has coverage against baggage delay as part of the policy, meaning you’ll get upto $100 in case of baggage delay!
Bad Trip 2: “The airlines have lost my baggage …grrrr! What insurance benefit do I get?”
If the airline eventually informs you that your baggage has indeed been lost, you will get the benefit amount as specified in your plan. If only part of the baggage is lost, you’ll get an amount that’s proportional.
For instance, if 2 of your 3 checked-in bags get lost, you’ll get 2/3rds of your sum insured. Digit’s international travel insurance has coverage against baggage loss as part of the policy – for instance, we pay upto $500 in case this happens.
Bad Trip 3: “I noticed that there’s an item missing from my bag. Will I get insurance benefit for that?”
Unfortunately, there’s no compensation for that since that’s classified as partial loss. For your benefit amount to kick-in, the entire baggage has to be lost.
Okay, so what should I do in case my checked-in baggage gets delayed or lost?
- Step 1: DON’T PANIC!
- Step 2: Report to your airline right away - Every airport has a grievance counter or an airline office. Get there and tell them that your baggage has not yet arrived. You might even want to ask them for appropriate compensation to replace essential items as you wait for your baggage
- Step 3: Get a written report - Get a written Property Irregularity Report (‘PIR’) from the airline confirming the delay and any compensation they offer to you
- Step 4: File a claim with your insurance company
How to file a claim with Digit?
If your baggage is delayed or lost, all you need to do is:
- Just drop a missed call to our tollfree number at +91-7303470000 (from wherever in the world you are) and we’ll call you back in 10 minutes.
- We’ll send you a link on your mobile number where you can upload certain documents and your bank account details.
- That’s it! We’ll transfer your benefit amount to your bank, and you can rest easy!
In conclusion, while loss or delayed baggage can be the worst possible start to a trip, there’s always a way to mitigate the pain. Just get yourself a travel insurance policy that covers these, such as Digit’s International Travel Insurance.
Digit’s insurance covers not only baggage loss/delay, but a whole host of other perils such as accidental hospitalization, flight delay, loss of passport and so on!
Interested in protecting your checked-in baggage from delay or loss? Buy Digit’s International Travel Insurance.
Please try one more time!
Disclaimer - The information mentioned here about the countries, visa fees and others is taken from different sources. Digit Insurance is not promoting or recommending anything here. Please verify the same before you book your tickets, apply for a visa, buy a travel policy or make any other decision.
Get our app
- Third Party Car Insurance
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Car Insurance
- NCB in Car Insurance
- IDV Calculator for Car
- Bumper to Bumper Car Insurance
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Own Damage Car Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Insurance
- Compare Car Insurance
- Find Vehicle Registration Details Online
- Third Party Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive Bike Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Bike Insurance
- NCB in Two Wheeler Insurance
- IDV Value Calculator for Bike
- Add-on Cover in Bike Insurance
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- Own Damage Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Bike Insurance
- Compare Bike Insurance
- Royal Enfield Insurance
- TVS Insurance
- Hero Bike Insurance
- Types of Insurance
- Types of General Insurance
- Types of Motor Insurance
- International Driving License
- Visa on Arrival for Indians
- Visa Free Countries for Indians
- Comprehensive vs Zero Depreciation
- Coronavirus Health Insurance
- Coronavirus Symptoms Checker
- Indian Passport Rank
- Digit Illness Group Insurance
- Hero Splendor Insurance
- Access Insurance
- Scooty Insurance
- SME Buddy Calculator
- Home Loan EMI Calculator
- Bike Loan EMI Calculator
- Car Loan EMI Calculator
- HRA Exemption Calculator
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- RD Calculator
- SWP Calculator
- GST Calculator
- PPF Calculator
- Personal Loan EMI Calculator
- EMI Calculator
- Individual Income Tax Slab
- Tax Saving Options other than 80C
- Business Insurance
- Management Liability Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Workmen Compensation Insurance
- Fidelity Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Money Insurance Policy
- Sign Board Insurance
- Plate Glass Insurance
- Erection All Risk Insurance
- Contractors' All Risks Insurance
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance
- Marine Cargo Insurance
- Contractors Plant and Machinery Insurance
CIN: U66010PN2016PLC167410, IRDAI Reg. No. 158.
Go Digit General Insurance Limited (formerly known as Oben General Insurance Ltd.) - Registered Office Address - 1 to 6 floors, Ananta One (AR One), Pride Hotel Lane, Narveer Tanaji Wadi, City Survey No.1579, Shivaji Nagar, Pune-411005, Maharashtra | Corporate Office Address - Atlantis, 95, 4th B Cross Road, Koramangala Industrial Layout, 5th Block, Bengaluru-560095, Karnataka