A Detailed Guide about Hong Kong Visa for Indians
Hong Kong, in the past few years, has become one of the most popular international tourist destinations for Indian citizens. So much so that there was a 7.32% rise in Indian tourist footfall between the months of January and March 2019 alone. (1)
Now, if you are among the ones planning a visit to Hong Kong in the near future, it is crucial to first update yourself about the most vital document that you will require to travel to the country – the visa!
Do Indian Passport Holders require a Visa to Travel to Hong Kong?
No, Indian passport holders do not need a visa to travel to Hong Kong if they are visiting the country for a duration of 14 days or less. In this case, Indian citizens have the provision for visa-free entry in Hong Kong through Pre-Arrival Registration (PAR).
However, if one wishes to extend their stay in Hong Kong for more than 14 days, he/she will have to apply for a visa.
Is there a Visa on Arrival/E-Visa Available for Indians visiting Hong Kong?
No, Hong Kong does not offer the facility of visa on arrival for Indian passport holders. Indians can gain entry into the country only if they have completed Pre-Arrival Registration formalities.
Further, those wishing to stay in the country for longer than 14 days have to apply for an immigration visa directly through the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
What does Pre-Arrival Registration in Hong Kong for Indian Citizens mean?
It is mandatory for Indian citizens visiting Hong Kong for a period of less than 14 days to complete a pre-arrival registration (PAR) online to enter the country. Through a one-time PAR Indian passport holders can enjoy the facility of multiple entries to Hong Kong within a period of 6 months, provided that they do not remain in the country for more than 14 days at a stretch.
Individuals must enrol and register themselves in PAR (Pre-Arrival Registration) in lieu of the Hong Kong visa for Indian citizens, and present the slip that is generated upon successful registration to the immigration department to gain entry in Hong Kong.
Which Indian Citizens do not require Undergoing PAR to visit Hong Kong?
Indian citizens included in the categories mentioned below do not require PAR to visit Hong Kong, provided they meet the normal immigration requirements:
- Indians with an official passport.
- Indians with a diplomatic passport.
- Those who hold the United Nations Laissez-Passer (individuals visiting Hong Kong for official United Nations business).
- Individuals enrolled in e-channel service.
- Honk Kong travel pass holders.
Hong Kong Visa Fees for Indian Citizens
Indian passport holders are not levied with any charges for PAR. However, those wishing to stay for more than 14 days and consequently having to obtain a visa have to pay the stipulated visa fee, as illustrated in the table below:
190HKD which amounts to ₹1745 approximately.
Documents Required & Application Process for Hong Kong PAR
For PAR, Indian citizens will first have to first satisfy the following requirements:
- They should possess an Indian passport which must be valid for at least a period of 6 months from the time of entry to Hong Kong.
- Have a valid email ID to receive the notification slip.
Steps to Follow for Indian Citizens for Hong Kong PAR
For Pre-Arrival Registration, an Indian citizen has to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit Hong Kong’s official immigration department website.
- Fill out the registration form for PAR by submitting all the required details.
- Upon submitting the details, the system will instantly process your details with the registration result being displayed on the website.
- Take a print out of the notification slip for PAR displayed on the website, on a white A4 size sheet.
You will have to present this print out of the notification slip at the Immigration counter upon your arrival to the country. The immigration counter will then grant you clearance to visit Hong Kong.
Documents Required & Application Process to avail a Hong Kong Visa
This requirement has to be satisfied by any Indian citizen who wishes to stay in Hong Kong for a period longer than 14 days and has to obtain a visa. This is also applicable to those whose PAR request has been rejected.
The visa application has to be made directly to the Hong Kong Immigration Department and the visa fee of HKD190 has to be paid via a bank draft.
To apply for the visa, there are 2 separate sets of submissions which are necessary. The documents to be submitted by the applicant and the applicant’s sponsor residing in Hong Kong.
The documents to be submitted by the applicant for Hong Kong visa include:
- Filled-in application form along with a cover letter which can be downloaded here.
- Proof of relationship with your sponsor residing in Hong Kong.
- Financial detail of an applicant, including their monetary account and related details, tax returns, salary slips, etc.
- Copy of the opening and last page of the applicant’s passport.
- Flight ticket or similar transportation detail.
In turn, the visitor’s sponsor has to submit the following documents to obtain the visa approval:
- A copy of the invitation letter.
- Filled-in application form.
- Copy of sponsor’s passport.
- Financial statements of the sponsor, including monetary accounts, tax returns, etc.
- Residential proof of the sponsor in Hong Kong.
Steps Indian Citizens have to follow to apply for a Hong Kong Immigration Visa
Indian citizens have to make the Hong Kong visa application directly to the country’s immigration department.
To do so, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download and take a print out of the application form. Fill it with the requisite details.
- Gather and attach hard copies of the required documents along with passport-size photographs to the application form.
- Mail all the documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department through post or courier. (Mailing address - Receipt and Despatch Sub-unit, Immigration Department - 2/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong)
- You will also have to make a payment of HKD190 through bank draft.
Upon visa approval, the Hong Kong visa label will be mailed back to you, which you will have to attach to your passport.
The visa processing time through Hong Kong’s Immigration Department is around 3-4 weeks.
For more enquiries, you can contact the Hong Kong Immigration Department at:
- Email – email@example.com
- Telephone - +852-2824-611
So, here is everything you, as an Indian passport holder, should know about the Hong Kong visa application.
But, have you thought of purchasing travel insurance?
Should I Buy Travel Insurance for Hong Kong?
Though it is not mandatory for Indians to have a travel insurance policy in place before visiting Hong Kong, it is advisable to have one.
For instance, purchasing a Hong Kong travel insurance from Digit will impart you with the following benefits:
- Medical Evacuation and Cover: Medical emergencies can happen at any time and point during your trip. Consequently, when an accident occurs, both medical evacuation, as well as treatment, are necessary; something which is completely covered under Digit’s travel insurance.
- Trip Cancellation Costs: In case a trip gets cancelled, you can avail compensation for the pre-booked non-refundable expenses that you had already incurred for the trip.
- Luggage Loss/Delay: Luggage loss or delay is a common occurrence in transit. Either way, it is a financial loss for the owner which can amount quite high. If such an incident occurs, Digit offers financial protection for these losses.
- Liability Costs: If you end up injuring someone or damaging a property that belonged to someone else in an accident while taking a road trip through Hong Kong, your insurance policy will cover the liability costs. It will further cover the damage to the rental car due to the accident.
- Adventure Sports: Injuries due to any adventure sport (for one day) are also covered under travel insurance policies, allowing you to indulge in every desire.
You can avail all this and more with Digit at a nominal premium of ₹285 (excl. 18% GST) per day for a sum insured of $50,000!
So, what are you waiting for? Get your Hong Kong travel insurance today and make your trip secure!