H4 Visa Interview Questions and Answers
H4 Visa is a United State's visa. It is issued to a dependent family member of H1B, H1B1, H2A, H2B, H3 visa holders. It allows you to travel to the USA with the primary visa holder.
A dependent must be a spouse or children below 21 years. To get an H4 visa, you need to pass an interview test. Accordingly, schedule an appointment for biometrics and visa interviews.
This article has curated possible H4 visa interview questions to help you pass this litmus test.
Types of H4 Visa Interview Questions
The H4 visa interview questions and answers are divided into 4 categories. These include questions and answers about -
- Your marriage
- H4 visa
- Your spouse
Let's take a look at some H4 dependent visa interview questions under these categories.
Questions and Answers About You
1. Where will you live in America?
Provide the name of the town or city you will be residing in the US
2. What are your plans to do in the USA?
Here, an immigration officer seeks an honest answer. Hence, provide a short yet truthful answer.
3. Do you have family members besides your spouse in America?
If yes, provide a detailed brief about your family members.
4. Do you wish to work in America?
The US administration withdrew the restriction on the work permit of the H4 visa holder. It means that individuals can work against meeting prescribed eligibility criteria. Therefore, answer this accordingly.
5. Whom do you live with presently?
Answer honestly. For instance, you live with your in-laws or parents.
6. What is your residential town or city in your native country?
Mention your current residential city or town.
7. With whom will you reside in the United States?
Mention that you will be living with your spouse.
8. Who is going to support you financially in the United States?
State that your spouse will be supporting you financially to stay in the United States.
Questions and Answers About Your Marriage
9. Is there any photograph or legal document proof of your marriage?
Carry important documents like a marriage certificate and a wedding photograph as document proof of your marriage.
10. What was the date of your marriage? For how many years have you been married to your spouse?
Answer this question directly and appropriately.
11. Was your marriage arranged or love? If arranged, who arranged it?
If anyone arranged your marriage, provide his or her details. It can be your parents, cousins or friends.
12. What was the location of your marriage?
Here you need to provide a detailed answer, stating the city, state and country’s name.
13. Was there any engagement before you got married to your spouse?
In case of engagement before marriage, you need to showcase proof of the same.
14. What was the total expenditure of your marriage? Who financed it?
Furnish the details with relevant information or documents, if any.
15. When and where did you meet your spouse for the first time?
If you cannot remember the exact date, mention the year or month.
Questions and Answers About H4 Visa
16. Which visa are you applying for?
Provide a direct answer that you are applying for an H4 visa.
17. Why do you want an H4 visa?
You need an H4 visa because you want to visit the United States along with your spouse (H1B visa holder).
18. Have you scheduled an appointment by yourself?
Don't hesitate to answer if you didn't make an appointment by yourself. Mention if anyone else has scheduled it for you. Also, state a legitimate reason why you could not schedule an appointment.
19. When did your spouse receive approval for an H1B visa?
Provide the accurate approval date, month and year for an H1B visa.
20. How did you collect all necessary documents for this interview?
Give an appropriate answer as per the requirement.
21. Why did you not attend the H4 visa interview with your spouse?
Provide an honest reason for why you did not attend this interview with your spouse.
Questions and Answers About Your Spouse
22. From which University did your spouse graduate? What is the highest educational degree of your spouse?
Provide the University's name and year of graduation of your spouse. For the second question, mention the highest educational degree your spouse completed.
23. When is your spouse's birthday?
Answer the exact date, month and year of birth of your spouse.
24. What is the name of the organisation your spouse is currently working in? Where is its location?
Mention the name of the organisation where your spouse is currently working. In the case of the second question, mention the location details of the organisation.
25. How long has the current company employed your spouse?
Provide the accurate month, year and date for which your spouse has been associated with the current company.
26. What is the profession of your spouse?
Provide the details of your spouse's profession and the associate job description.
27. What is the annual income of your spouse?
You need to submit proof to verify your answer. Hence, your answer must be honest.
28. Do you have your spouse's bank statement?
Submit your spouse's bank statement and receipts to the immigration officer.
29. Does your spouse currently stay in the United States?
If the answer is yes, provide an accurate answer on the date, month and year of his or her stay.
30. Is your spouse a US citizen? If not, has he or she applied for a green card?
Provide an appropriate answer.
How to Prepare Yourself for an H4 Visa Interview?
Once you know H4 visa questions and answers, prepare yourself by following these 4 tips:
Be on Time
Reach the venue 20 to 15 minutes before the scheduled time with all the required documents. Arriving early will also allow you to stay calm during the interview process.
Answer H4 visa questions clearly. It is one of the essential factors that determine the given visa approval. Skipping or providing false information can eliminate your chances to get an H4 visa. It is because the immigration officer verifies your answers with relevant documents.
Keep the Documents Ready
As you can find from the questions mentioned above, you need to provide certain documents to verify your answers. This includes marriage certificates, bank statements and other essential files. It is wise to keep a copy of those documents ready to submit whenever asked.
Check Your Documents
Review your documents carefully. All details such as name, birthdate and other information in it will be printed on the visa. Hence any potential mistake in data can be a hassle later.
Additionally, when you receive your visa, check it carefully. If you notice any errors, report them immediately.
The US Citizenship and Immigration Services plans to suspend the biometric while applying for an H4 visa. This will further streamline the application process. Thus, this is a viable opportunity to apply for the same. Make sure to prepare yourself with H4 visa interview questions for quick visa approval.