How to Earn Money at Home for Senior Citizens?
Senior citizens and retirees often want something to do from the comfort of their own homes. And they can do this as well as get the chance to earn a little extra money by looking for work from home jobs. You can easily spin the skills that you already have, from hobbies or previous work experience into a money-earning enterprise.
Here Are Some Ways to Earn Money at Home for Senior Citizens
1. Become an Insurance POSP
One way to earn money for senior citizens is to become a POSP, or Point of Salesperson. A POSP is an insurance agent who sells insurance policies for an insurance company. All you need to have is an aptitude for selling, a smartphone, and a good internet connection. You can then sign up with an insurance provider and become an insurance POSP.
- Are there any requirements? - To become a POSP, you need to be over 18 years of age, and should have graduated from Class 10. As long as you fulfill these, you can complete a 15-hour compulsory training offered by the IRDAI and get your license.
- How much can you earn? - As a POSP, your income will depend on a commission for how many policies you sell. Therefore, the more you sell, the more you can earn.
2. Offer Tutoring Lessons
If you have a lot of knowledge in a certain area, or you have retired from a certain profession, you can easily become a tutor for students studying these topics. You can teach anything from English, math, science, and history, to music or crafts.
To become a tutor, you can sign up with an online tutoring platform like Udemy, or Coursera, or simply reach out to friends and relatives on Facebook and WhatsApp to look for people needing tutoring classes.
- Are there any requirements? - To work as a tutor, you will learn some teaching skills, and familiarize yourself with the syllabuses of the topics you plan to teach.
- How much can you earn? - For tutors, your hourly rate will vary by area of expertise and the subject matter*, but generally, you can earn up to ₹200–500 per hour.
3. Be a Consultant for Professionals and Companies
If you have a lot of work experience or background in business or other sectors, you can sell your knowledge to professionals and companies as a consultant. Retired professionals who worked in healthcare, business, IT and more can search for clients online using sites like Upwork, LinkedIn, etc.
These kinds of remote consulting jobs can be part-time or full-time, or even on a contract basis, and are usually very flexible.
- Are there any requirements? - To find work as a consultant, you need to be able to market your skills and experience.
- How much can you earn? - Depending on your experience and area of work, you can easily find highly paid consultancy jobs.
4. Start a Food Delivery Service
If you enjoy cooking or baking, senior citizens can earn money from home by starting a food delivery service. You can sell everything from daily packaged meals to baked items, individual dishes, and even catered meals for parties.
You can either sell your food through food delivery platforms such as Zomato and Swiggy, or reach out to your friends and relative circles on Facebook or WhatsApp and sell your products to them directly using a delivery service.
- Are there any requirements? - You will need to supply yourself with the cooking ingredients you need, as well as a reliable delivery service.
- How much can you earn? - Your income will depend on the type of food you sell (ex., full meals, desserts, snacks, etc.) and the number of clients you have.
5. Sell Your Homemade Items
Another way senior citizens can make easy money from home is to use their skills with stitching, art, and crafting to make products to sell online. This includes things like paintings, quilts, scented candles, wall hangings, table mats, and décor items.
You can use sites like Etsy, Facebook Marketplace, Amazon, and eBay to get greater opportunities to sell your homemade goods. Or you can once again turn to social media like Facebook and Instagram to advertise your items and attract customers.
- Are there any requirements? - All you need are the raw materials for your products, like paints, needles and thread, or other craft supplies.
- How much can you earn? - The amount you will make will depend on what products you are selling and how much you sell, and for bespoke items, you can even set your products at high prices.