What is UAN Number: Importance, Benefits & Activation Process
Wondering what UAN is and how it is related to salaried individuals?
Individuals need to have UAN to access all the previous and present PF (Provident Fund) accounts.
Stay with us and learn about the importance of UAN, its benefits, and activation process and much more. Read along!
What Is an UAN Number?
UAN is a 12 digit unique number provided to each employee contributing to the Employees Provident Fund. This unique number is generated and assigned by the Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). The Ministry of Labour and Employment authenticates UAN under the directives of the Government of India.
This number remains the same for each employee throughout their life irrespective of the number of times they have joined new organisations.
Apart from knowing what UAN number is, individuals must learn about the various related things to use this UAN more efficiently.
Importance of UAN
The UAN full form is Universal Account Number.
UAN is important for several reasons. These are -
- The unique UAN remains the same until the retirement of an employee.
- UAN is essential to check the credits and debits in the PF account.
- Through UAN, individuals can withdraw and transfer funds without relying on the employer.
- The online processing of PF accounts helps employees to access the account freely.
- With UAN, employees can track monthly deposits. However, the respective employee has to be registered on the EPFO.
From the section mentioned above, it is clear what is a Universal Account Number and why it is needed. Now let’s focus on the various advantages its uses offer.
Advantages of UAN
Below is discussed some of UAN number advantages. Read along!
Hassle-free Transfer of Funds
Previously, a manual transfer from old PF accounts to the new ones was time-consuming and was full of errors. Even the introduction of a digital process did not ease this process significantly.
However, after UAN implementation, employers can successfully transfer funds by submitting UAN and KYC details to the new employer. Once the employer verifies all data, PF transactions from the old account to the new one can be completed hassle-freely.
Minimal Employer Involvement in PF Withdrawal
Before UAN was introduced, PF withdrawal was dependent on employers as the application was sent to the previous employer for signature, and then it was sent to EPFO.
However, in the case of UAN, this dependency has been reduced. The PF amount from the old account to the new is transferred automatically once the KYC verification is completed.
Streamlined Transactions With Mobile Notification
One of the UAN number benefits is that it ensures streamlined transactions and additional security. As with every activity in the PF account, i.e., withdrawal and monthly employer’s contribution can be received via SMS. In addition, individuals can check account balances through UAN. For this, they have to download the PF passbook from the EPF website.
Benefit for the Employee Pension Scheme
Before implementing UAN, employees had to withdraw from the Employee Pension Scheme, which affected the amount at the retirement.
However, with UAN, both the Employee Pension Scheme and Employers Provident Fund account balances are automatically transferred to the new account, increasing the amount at the retirement.
Till now, we have discussed what UAN number is and its benefits. Now, let’s see how one can generate it.
How to Generate UAN?
Now that individuals know what Universal Account Number means, its importance and its benefits, they must know the process of generating it.
Follow the steps mentioned below to generate a UAN number.
- Step 1: Log in to the EPF Employer Portal by using the Establishment ID and password.
- Step 2: Move on to the ‘Member’ tab and click on ‘Register Individual.’
- Step 3: Provide employee’s details such as Aadhaar, PAN, bank details, etc.
- Step 4: Click on the ‘Approval’ button after checking all the details.
- Step 5: A new UAN will be generated by EPFO.
Once the new UAN is generated, new employers can easily link the Provident Fund account of employees to that UAN.
Documents Required to Generate UAN
Here is a list of all the documents required to generate UAN.
- Identity proof- Driving license, passport, Voter ID, etc.
- Address proof- Recent utility bill rental or lease agreement, Ration card, etc.
- Bank account details- Account number and IFSC Code
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- ESIC card
How to Check UAN Number?
Individuals can check UAN number details in various ways. These are,
Check UAN From the Portal
- Step 1: Go to the EPFO’s Unified Member Portal.
- Step 2: Next, click on the ‘Know Your UAN Status' option from the important links section. Here, a new webpage will appear where individuals have to provide essential details such as name, date of birth, mobile phone number and email current member ID or EPF account number.
- Step 3: Individuals will receive an authorisation PIN on the registered mobile number after submitting details.
- Step 4: Now, individuals have to enter the PIN.
- Step 5: After entering this, UAN will be sent on the registered email account and mobile number.
Check UAN Number by Mobile Number
Members/individuals registered on the UAN portal can get complete details with a missed call facility. The process is straightforward. Read along!
- Step 1: Give a missed to 011-22901406 from your registered mobile number.
- Step 2: This call will be automatically disconnected after two rings.
- Step 3: Once the missed call is placed successfully, you will get an SMS with all details of PF.
One must remember that this service is applicable for employees who have their UAN integrated with KYC details.
Check UAN Number With Aadhaar Card
Individuals can check UAN with an Aadhaar card as well. Read on to know the process.
- Step 1: Visit EPFO’s Unified Member Portal
- Step 2: Select ‘Know Your UAN Status’ from the important link box.
- Step 3: Select Aadhaar and enter the number, name, date of birth, mobile and email ID.
- Step 4: Submit the Captcha code.
- Step 5: Select ‘Get Authorisation PIN.’
- Step 6: Individuals will be redirected to a new page. Check the provided details and choose ‘I agree’.
- Step 7: Enter the OTP sent to your registered contact number.
- Step 8: Get the UAN after you select ‘Validate OTP’.
A new message will notify you that the UAN details have been sent to your registered phone number.
How to Activate EPFO UAN?
To activate UAN EPFO, individuals need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: Visit the EPF Member Portal.
- Step 2: Click on Activate UAN.
- Step 3: Individuals have to select from any of the three options - UAN, Aadhaar or PAN, member ID.
- Step 4: Enter required details, including name, date of birth, email ID and mobile number.
- Step 5: Click ‘Get Authorisation PIN.’
- Step 6: Put the PIN and select ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN.’
- Step 7: UAN will be activated and sent to the registered mobile number. Thus, one can activate EPFO UAN easily.
Equipped with the knowledge of what UAN number is, its benefits, importance, generating and activation process, individuals can now easily and conveniently access all their PF accounts.