The best time to visit Switzerland is from June to August or September to December.
These are the summer and autumn seasons. You will notice white glistening snow and a lovely comfortable night as you visit during this time. However, the winter months offer a completely different experience.
Best Season to Visit Switzerland
Time Period: June to August
Temperature range: 19 to 32 degrees Celsius
Average Rainfall: Around 92 mm
For most visitors, the best months to visit Switzerland are June, July and August. These months are ideal if you want to view the picturesque landscape of this place.
You are bound to fall in love with Switzerland's beautiful weather during the summer months. You can bask under the warm summer sky and head to explore the hidden lakes and landscapes. Additionally, if you plan to indulge in interesting outdoor activities, you can do that.
Here is a list of the most beautiful places in Switzerland that you can visit during this time:
Places to Visit in Switzerland during Summer Season
1. Trek your way along the northern Alps via the Alpina route.
2. Head towards Gurten to view the incredible landscape of Berne and the Alps.
3. Take a look at the excellent paintings sketched by street artists as you stroll across Lake Zurich.
4. Do not forget to visit the Matterhorn Glacier in Zermatt
5. Take a trip to the Jungfraujoch Top, one of the most famous destinations in Bernese Oberland.
6. Experience a Golden Round Trip of Dragon Mountain Pilatus.
7. Plan a day trip to one of the biggest waterfalls in Europe, the Rhine Falls.
8. Enjoy a jet boat ride on Lake Brienz and get close to the mesmerising Giessbach Falls.
9. Enjoy stunning views of Morcote town and Gandria from the two mountains close to Lugano, Monte Bre, and San Salvatore.
Season to Visit Switzerland
Time Period: September to December
Temperature range: 8 to 15 degrees Celsius
Average Rainfall: Around 88 mm
Autumn is one of the best seasons to visit Switzerland. You get to wake up to wonderful misty mornings with pleasant weather. The autumn months in Switzerland let you experience the hues of yellow turning to gold.
If you are an adventure enthusiast, September is the perfect month to indulge yourself in hiking and trekking. The weather is mild and pleasant, and since most of the mountain resorts are open, you can enjoy several outdoor activities there.
Here is a list of beautiful places to visit in Switzerland and things to do during the autumn season in Switzerland:
Places to Visit & Things to do in Switzerland during Autumn Season
1. Enjoy boating in Rhine Falls.
2. Take in the spectacular views of the famous mountain Zermatt
3. Enjoy wild truffle strolls, vineyard walks, and gourmet walks around Lake Geneva.
4. Get mesmerised by the exquisite views at Schilthorn in Piz Gloria.
5. Do not miss exploring Jungfraujoch, one of the best places to visit in Switzerland.
6. Enjoy an excellent train ride from Zermatt to St. Moritz.
7. Indulge in Gstaad's white water rafting, wakeboarding, and other exciting activities.
8. Try yoga on the famous Lucerne Riviera.
9. Enjoy picturesque views from the revolving restaurant in Appenzellerland.
Season to Visit in Switzerland
Time Period: December to February
Temperature range: - 1 to 4 degrees Celsius
Average Rainfall/Snowfall: Around 78 mm
The temperature in Switzerland in the winter months ranges from minus 1 to four degrees Celsius. This is the best time to visit Switzerland from India and explore the picturesque Swiss towns if you love snow.
A plethora of festivals and celebrations welcome you to Switzerland during this time of the year. In addition, you can indulge in snow sports and skiing as you get affordable stays at the hotels and resorts. This is because it is not the peak season.
During your trip to Switzerland from India during this time of the year, here is a list of things you can do:
Places to Visit & Things to do in Switzerland during Winter Season
1. Take part in the Grindelwald World Snow Festival in January.
2. Enjoy skiing and snowboarding in St. Mortiz
3. Ride the famous Bernina Express between Tirano and Chur.
4. Shop in the famous Christmas market of Switzerland, Christkindlimarkt.
5. Have fun skating on the natural ice rinks of the Jura area in Switzerland.
6. Explore the towns of Davos, St. Gallen, and Gruyères to view the picturesque landscape.
7. Relax in the thermal baths of Mineralbad & Spa Rigi Kaltbad overlooking Lake Lucerne
8. Go dog sledging in Jungfraujoch near Interlaken
9. Spend a night in Berghotel Engstligenalp igloos.
If you want a budget-friendly vacation to Switzerland, the ideal time to visit this place is from the months of November till March. This is a low season, and the cost of hotels and flights drop down during this time.
Additionally, mid-November is another good time to travel to Switzerland from India as it is just the beginning of the winter season, and you can get affordable hotel and flight options during this time too.
What Are the Things to Know Before Visiting Switzerland?
As you have an idea about the best time to visit Switzerland, there are certain things you must keep in mind before visiting this place. Here they are as follows:
Ensure that the hotel or resort that you have booked has a central heating system, especially if you are visiting during the winter season.
Purchase one single ticket, a Swiss Rail Pass that includes and allows you to travel by train and bus.
Carry some Swiss francs with you as you travel the country.
Keep your Schengen visa on your person while visiting Switzerland.
Bring a converter with you while travelling to Switzerland since they use J-socket.
It is better to have knowledge of a few basic phrases and words to communicate.
What Are the Tips for Travelling to Switzerland?
As you plan your vacation to Switzerland, here are some tips you must follow:
Plan your itinerary before travelling to Switzerland so that you can explore accordingly.
Try to cook your meal since purchasing food in Switzerland would be expensive.
Carry enough warm clothes while travelling during the winter months.
Additionally, do not forget to carry hiking clothes during summer.
What Phrases Should You Know Before Travelling to Switzerland?
Although Switzerland has four official languages, locals mainly use Swiss German to communicate. Here is a list of the basic words/phrases you must know:
What’s your name: Wie Heisst du?
My name is: Ich Heisse
Do you speak English?: Sprechen Sie Englisch?
Nice to meet you: Freut Mich
Thank you: Danke
Sorry: Tut mir leid
You’re welcome: Bitte
See you later: Bis Spotter
Excuse me: Entschuldigung
How are you?: wie geht es Ihnen?
Can you help me?: Konnen Sie mir hilfe?
Now that you know all about the best time to visit Switzerland, you can start arranging for vacation immediately. But, before you proceed, ensure to have travel insurance before visiting this place. This will ensure you have proper financial coverage during any emergency, whether it is a medical or personal loss.
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions mentioned in your policy schedule and policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.
The information mentioned here about the countries, visa fees and others is taken from different sources. Digit Insurance is not promoting or recommending anything here. Please verify the same before you book your tickets, apply for a visa, buy a travel policy or make any other decision.
Download International Travel Insurance Policy Wordings
Go Digit General Insurance Limited (formerly known as Oben General Insurance Ltd.) - Registered Office Address - 1 to 6 floors, Ananta One (AR One), Pride Hotel Lane, Narveer Tanaji Wadi, City Survey No.1579, Shivaji Nagar, Pune-411005, Maharashtra | Corporate Office Address - Atlantis, 95, 4th B Cross Road, Koramangala Industrial Layout, 5th Block, Bengaluru-560095, Karnataka | Trade logo of Go Digit General Insurance Ltd. displayed above belongs to Go Digit lnfoworks Services Private Limited and is provided and used by Go Digit General Insurance Ltd. under license.