Vehicle Road Tax & Charges in Jammu Kashmir
Know all about VAHAN/Parivahan Tax & RTO Charges in Jammu Kashmir
No other Indian State can rival the scenic beauty of Jammu and Kashmir. Surrounded by the mighty Himalayan mountain and snow-capped peaks, the state is stately and sublime.
The roads here are built to handle heavy snowfall. When winter sets in, Jammu turns into a winter wonderland. But come summer, and the roads are cleared of snow to make exploring in the state a treat.
Buy a new car or motorbike and visit Dal Lake, Bahu Fort, Akhnoor Fort and Neelum River conveniently with your loved ones.
While owning a vehicle may sound like a lot of fun, there are some additional responsibilities you have to shoulder before you can use it on Jammu’s roads. One of the key responsibilities is paying up the Jammu Kashmir road tax.
In this article, you will find out what the latest RTO tax Jammu Kashmir is and how you can pay the same!
Road Tax in Jammu Kashmir
Jammu Kashmir parivahan tax is based on the Jammu and Kashmir Motor Vehicles Taxation Act, 1957.
Road tax is a state subject. Every state has its own rules and regulations in respect to road tax. But why is road tax charged in the first place?
Road tax is charged so that the government has the necessary revenue to build and maintain roads and provide security to travellers. Hence it is vital that you pay for it. Failure to do so results in a fine.
How is Road Tax Calculated?
Road Tax in Jammu Kashmir is calculated on the type of vehicle, its horsepower, its usage and its cost. The road tax law was changed in 2019, and this article reflects the change.
Now, all vehicles in Jammu Kashmir are charged a road tax based on 9% of the cost of the vehicle. Since this hike, the government has specified that instead of a one-time payment the road tax can be paid in instalments.
Road Tax Rates for Two-wheelers in Jammu Kashmir
The Jammu Kashmir road tax rate was revised in 2019.
All vehicles that are registered before 1st August 2019 should pay the road or token tax in quarterly, monthly or annual instalments as shown below.
Description of the vehicle
Scooters with attachments
Bikes with side car
Cost of the Motor Cycle
Tax % on Vehicle Cost
Below Rs.1.5 lakh
Above Rs.1.5 lakh
Road Tax Rates for Four-wheelers in Jammu Kashmir
Since the revision of the tax rate in Jammu Kashmir, there are new tax rates for four-wheelers registered before 1st August 2019 and those registered after.
- The tax rate for four-wheelers registered before 1st August 2019 at a quarterly, monthly or annual instalments is shown below:
Horse Power of the Vehicle
Rate of quarterly tax
Motor cars of upto 14 HP
Motor cars of more than 12 HP
Motor car with trailer
Tax rate for four-wheelers registered after 1st August 2019 is levied at the rate of 9% of the cost of the vehicle.
Now that you know the Jammu Kashmir road tax for car pay it online and take your car for a spin!
Jammu Kashmir State Tax For Taxi and Autorickshaws
For taxis and autorickshaws that were registered before 1st August 2019, the tax is as follows.
Upto 5 persons
More than 5 persons
Road Tax for Jammu Kashmir on Vehicles from Other Indian States
New rules for road tax in Jammu Kashmir for other state vehicles were put in place on 1st August 2019. They are as follows:
- If a vehicle is brought into Jammu and Kashmir after 1st August 2019, then the vehicle has to pay 9% of its cost on a pro rata basis.
- If the vehicle is a motorcycle costing more than Rs.1.5 lakh then you have to pay 10% of the cost of the vehicle on pro rata basis.
You can make payment for Jammu Kashmir tax online for other state vehicles as well.
How to Pay Road Tax Online in Jammu Kashmir
There are two methods of paying road tax in Jammu Kashmir. You can either visit your nearest RTO and take a form and pay the amount due or you can make Jammu Kashmir state road tax online payment. Here are the steps.
- Step 1: Visit https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahanservice/vahan/ui/eapplication/form_eApplicatonHome.xhtml.
- Step 2: Fill in your registration number. Then enter mobile number and click on generate OTP. Enter the OTP and click on “Show Details”.
- Step 3: Cross-check all the details of your latest tax details, permit etc under “Owner Tax” information. Under “Tax Details” enter the number of quarters, months or year.
- Step 4: Choose from quarterly, monthly, half-yearly or annual “Tax Mode”. An auto-generated payable amount will be shown next.
- Step 5: Click confirm, and you will be directed to a payment gateway.
- Step 6: Complete the payment either using debit card or credit card or net-banking.
Follow these steps and get your road tax in Jammu or Kashmir cleared today!
List of RTOs in Jammu Kashmir
Here is a list of Regional Transport Offices in Jammu Kashmir. You can either visit here and pay the tax or make Jammu Kashmir road tax payment online.
Now that the Jammu Kashmir RTO tax rate is clear to you, hurry up and pay up your dues!
Make the Jammu Kashmir RTO tax online payment and take your vehicle out for a long drive with your loved ones.
Enjoy the journey!