VAHAN Vehicle Road Tax Payment Online in India
Everything to Know about Paying Road Tax Online
Paying road tax is mandatory in India if you plan to drive your vehicle in a particular location or city. This tax is integrated into the final price of a vehicle or its on-road price when you decide to purchase a bike or car.
However, road tax is not a one-time payment, unlike what many people believe.
How frequently do you need to pay road taxes for your car or bike?
Road Tax Payment: When do you need to bear this Tax?
A non-transport vehicle owner must pay road taxes while buying a car. After that, he/she would need to pay this after every 15 years of ownership.
This tax payment must be completed during the extension of a vehicle’s registration by 5 years.
Certain states allow payment of this tax through an online portal, while others require car owners to visit the local RTO office to pay this liability.
Listed below are some of the states where you can pay road tax online:
- Himachal Pradesh
For all other states, the online payment facility of road taxes is unavailable at present.
For residents in these states, road taxes must be paid by the owner at the concerned RTO.
Who is Responsible for Levying Road Taxes?
The state government levies these taxes, which is why its exact slab or rate varies from one state to another.
This is also part of the reason why the on-road price of a car or bike tends to vary across various states.
However, the insurance premium also plays a role in the final cost of a vehicle.
How to Pay Road Taxes Online?
Road tax online payment facilities are restricted to just a few states. In these places, you can initiate the payment using the following methods:
- Step 1: Visit the official Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website, which is located in the Parivahan portal.
- Step 2: Locate the ‘Online Services’ section and choose ‘Vehicle Related Services’ under it.
- Step 3: Proceeding further will let you choose the state in which you purchased the car.
- Step 4: Selecting your state would transport you to the respective state’s transport and road services.
- Step 5: To log-in, use your car’s registration number.
- Step 6: Once you are logged in, go to the online services section and follow the methods mentioned there to pay road taxes online. This concludes the Vahan online tax payment procedure.
Documents Necessary to Pay Road Tax Online
Now that you have a pretty good idea about road tax online payment, you must also know which of the documents you need to submit to complete this payment formality.
- Registration certificate of the vehicle for which you are paying road tax.
- Original invoice related to the vehicle purchase
- Updated insurance documents for the car or bike concerned.
- Residential address proof of the taxpayer.
- Identity proof of the car or bike owner.
Additionally, you would also need to submit a NOC from the RTO where the car was originally registered if you happened to change your residential state in between.
How is Road Tax Calculated?
The government determines road tax liability for an individual by considering a few factors, namely:
- Number of seats available inside the vehicle
- The age of the car or bike in question
- Cubic capacity or the engine capacity of the concerned vehicle
- State where the vehicle undergoes registration.
- Whether a vehicle is being used for commercial purposes or as a personal vehicle.
- Date of registration
- Date of purchase
- The vehicle’s class, meaning whether it is a two-wheeler, four-wheeler, industrial or agricultural vehicle.
- Whether the car runs on diesel or petroleum
- The actual weight of this particular vehicle.
At any rate, paying this road tax is mandatory for all car or bike owners in India. You need to keep these pieces of information in mind when servicing such taxes.
Keep in mind that the online payment facility reduces the hassle and ensures an accelerated process.