Air Ambulance Cover in Health Insurance
Life, as we know it, is unpredictable. We never know which moment might be the last, and equally unforeseen are the medical emergencies. Hence, we must be prepared to ‘expect the unexpected’ and be ready to deal with it.
The first hour post any medical emergency is called the ‘Golden Hour’. Proper medical attention during these 60 minutes can save a life. In such critical situations, an Air Ambulance can be a lifesaver. It transfers critical patients timely and reliably to the place where they can receive much-needed medical support.
What is an Air Ambulance?
Air Ambulances are medically equipped aircraft with ECG machines, ventilators, necessary medical equipment and experts on board. This ensures that the patient receives their treatment within the best possible time.
However, state-of-the-art medical equipment and trained medical personnel, adding up to the price of the aircraft maintenance, make the air ambulance charges quite expensive. While it is a necessity in times of critical need, its cost becomes a financial strain on the already struggling family of the patient.
Thankfully Air Ambulance is covered by insurance.
What is an Air Ambulance Cover?
An Air Ambulance Cover provides financial coverage for the expenses incurred in availing of an air ambulance in times of need.
Many insurers provide Air Ambulance coverage in their health insurance plans. A few others offer it as an add-on that can be purchased separately with the health insurance policy. However, your coverage and its features might differ across various insurance providers.
Benefits of Air Ambulance Cover
With an insurance in place, when we don’t have to worry about the cost of the facility, we can focus better on the primary objective, i.e., getting the necessary medical assistance for the patient.
An Air Ambulance has many benefits:
1. Reduces the time taken for Long Distance Travel
In case of a critical illness or an accident, when the patient must receive immediate medical assistance but must travel a long distance, an air ambulance is the life-saving alternative.
2. Well Equipped to treat critical patients
An Air Ambulance is well equipped with all medical facilities and highly trained experts to provide interim care to the patient. Its pressure, humidity, temperature and other factors are also optimised to suit the patient. With so much medical care in place, these ambulances are ideally suited to transport patients to their destination in the best possible state.
3. Safe and Comfortable
Ground ambulances are, many a time, uncomfortable for critical patients, and this can further deteriorate the health of the patient. Air ambulances, in addition to reducing travel time considerably, also provide safe and comfortable transport for the patient. They ensure that traffic or any blocks don’t become a threat to the life of the patient.
How does an Air Ambulance Cover Work?
Most insurance companies cover Air Ambulance expenses for emergency hospitalisations with the following conditions:
- The insurer pays for the abovementioned expense, provided they have accepted a claim under their hospitalisation cover.
- The air transportation for the patient should be from the initial point of the incident.
- The total claim must be within the availability of sum insured as mentioned in the policy schedule.
- The requirement of an Air Ambulance must be prescribed by a medical practitioner or must be medically necessary.
Exclusions under Air Ambulance Cover
Air ambulance cover has the below-mentioned exclusions with most of the insurers:
- Expenses incurred for return transportation to the patient’s home after the treatment.
- In cases where transportation is possible through road ambulance, the air ambulance expenses would not be covered unless a medical practitioner prescribes it.
- Transfer of patient without the advice of the medical practitioner.
- Transfer of patient from one healthcare facility to the other though both facilities have the same level of services.
- Adventure sports sustained emergencies are not covered under the claim for Air Ambulance.
Who can avail an Air Ambulance Cover?
Nobody can foresee the future. Health Emergency can strike any day, and hence, it is recommended for everyone to have Air Ambulance Cover. People suffering from acute diseases, like Trauma patients, cardiac patients, elderly patients, etc., must include this coverage in their health insurance.
At Digit, the claim process is entirely hassle-free and simple.