- Hyundai I10
- Hyundai Santro Xing
- Hyundai Elite I20
- Maruti Suzuki Wagon R
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Maruti Suzuki Alto
- Ford Figo
- Volkswagen Polo
- Recent years
- New Car
Best Hatchback Cars in India to look for in 2020
Top 10 Hatchback Cars Available in India
1. Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
One of the most popular hatchback cars in India, the Alto offers you a petrol and CNG variant to choose from. It is one of the most compact commuter vehicles available in the market, which offers excellent mileage, and decent power output of 48PS with 69Nm torque (for its petrol engine).
This car also integrates driver and passenger airbags (optional), parking sensors, ABS with EBD and other such features.
- Mileage– Around 25kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 796 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.2.94 lakh
- Awards – In 2013, the Alto 800 bagged numerous awards, including Autocar India’s “Best Value for Money Car of the Year”. (1)
2. Maruti Suzuki Swift
Another popular offering from Maruti, the Swift easily makes the list of our top 10 hatchback cars in India. The Swift is available with both petrol and diesel engines and can generate a maximum power of 83PS with a 113Nm torque.
For the year 2020, you can expect a facelifted version of the good old Swift to grace the markets.
- Mileage – Up to 21.21kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 1197 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.5.19 lakh
- Awards – The Swift was awarded 2019’s Car of the Year by ICOTY. (2)
3. Hyundai Grand i10 Nios
One of the top hatchback cars in India, the Grand i10 Nios is available in 5 variants in the market.
You can avail this car with petrol, diesel and CNG engines, which come equipped with either a 5-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automatic transmission. The 1.2-litre petrol engine is also capable of generating 83PS power with 114Nm torque.
- Mileage – Up to 26.2kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 1197 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.5.04 lakh
- Awards – This car was named “New Hatchback of the Year” in the 2020 Droom Auto Awards. (3)
4. Tata Tiago
One of the smartest offerings from Tata, the Tiago is one of the most efficient hatchbacks available in the Indian market. It sports a 1.2-litre engine that can generate power of up to 83PS and 113Nm torque.
Furthermore, it is also equipped with other features like parking sensors, dual airbags, ABS with EBD, stability control, etc.
- Mileage – Up to 23.84kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 1199 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.4.6 lakh
- Awards – Tata Tiago received the accolade of “Best Update of the Year” in the 2020 MotorOctance Awards. (4)
5. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R
The Wagon R is another hatchback from Maruti that has consistently made it to the list of the most sold-vehicles in India. You can avail the car with two petrol engines – a 1.0-litre and a 1.2-litre one, upgraded with BS-VI emission standards.
In this regard, the 1.2-litre engine can generate 83PS power and 113Nm torque. The company has also launched a CNG version of the car to propagate its “Mission Green Million” initiative.
- Mileage – Up to 21.79kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 1197 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.4.45 lakh
Best Automatic Hatchback Cars in India
If you are looking for a hatchback with automatic transmission, there are plenty of such models available in the market as well. Following are the top 5 ones that you can choose from:
6. Renault Kwid
Easily one of the best automatic hatchbacks in India, Renault Kwid has 5 different variants in the market. Of these, there is a 1.0-litre engine with a 5-speed automated manual transmission, which can churn out a power of 68PS with 91Nm torque.
Apart from its performance, the Kwid is also extremely fuel-efficient, making it one of the most sensible vehicles for daily commutes.
- Mileage – About 22.5kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 999 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.4.72 lakh
- Awards – It has received several awards, including the NDTV Car of the Year award in 2016. (6)
7. Maruti Suzuki Celerio
The Celerio from Maruti Suzuki is available with both automatic and manual transmission. Recently, the company has launched a BS-VI compliant model of the car, which is fitted with a 1.0-litre petrol engine.
This engine offers a decent mileage and can generate power of up to 68PS with 90Nm torque.
- Mileage – About 21.63kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 998 cc
- Price - Starts from Rs.5.23 lakh
- Awards – This car received the Best Innovation Award at the 2015 World Auto Forum Awards. (7)
8. Maruti Suzuki Baleno
This is a premium offering from Maruti, which easily makes it to our list of best automatic hatchback cars in India, owing to its superior performance.
The Baleno is available in four variants, namely – Alpha, Sigma, Zeta and Delta, with both manual and automatic transmissions for its engines. The Baleno’s 1.2-litre petrol engine is also capable of generating 84PS power with 115Nm torque.
- Mileage – Up to 21.4kmpl
- Engine Displacement - Up to 1197 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.7.76 lakh
- Awards – Baleno grabbed the “Hatchback of the Year” award at the Tech and Auto Awards for 2017. (8)
9. Hyundai Santro
While the Santro has dominated the Indian markets for quite a while now, Hyundai has introduced the AMT gearbox very recently in the car’s Asta variant.
The car is powered by a 1.1-litre petrol engine, which has received the BS-VI standard emission upgrade. This engine is capable of producing a maximum power of 69PS with a 99Nm torque.
- Mileage – Around 20.3kmpl (for the petrol variant)
- Engine Displacement – Up to 1086 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.5.52 lakh
10. Honda Jazz
The last automatic hatchback in our list is the Honda Jazz, whose 1.2-litre engine is equipped with a 7-step CVT. Available in three variants, the petrol engine of this model can churn up a power of up to 90PS with 110Nm torque.
It also features several industry-first safety measures like dual airbags, parking sensors in the rear, ABS with EBD, etc.
- Mileage – Around 18.2kmpl
- Engine Displacement – Up to 1498 cc
- Price – Starts from Rs.8.65 lakh
- Awards – It received the 2018 Best Compact Car of the Year Award at the Wheels Car of the Year Awards ceremony. (10)
Still haven’t found the perfect car for yourself?
Well, there is no reason to be disheartened as several manufacturers are bringing new hatchbacks to the market in 2020-2021. Following are a few of upcoming hatchback cars in India 2020:
11. Tata Tiago (facelift)
This hatchback from Tata is set to receive a facelift in 2020 with several tweaks in its external and internal features. The most notable changes it is expected to sport include updated safety norms and crash test compliance.
Furthermore, from 2020 onwards, Tiago will be available only with the 1.2-litre petrol engine, with a 5-speed manual or automatic transmission. Other specs remain undisclosed.
- Price – Set to be around Rs.4.3 lakh.
- Launch – 2020
12. Kia Stonic
This is one of the most widely anticipated upcoming hatchback cars in India in 2020.
While Kia has not yet disclosed the specs of this car, it has set a launch date of mid-June. The Stonic is set to give a tough competition to Toyota Glanza and Nissan Kicks.
- Price – Expected to be around Rs.9 lakh.
13. Tata Altroz EV
If you are looking for a hatchback in the electric vehicle category, you are in luck! Tata is launching the Altroz by the end of 2020,and it is expected to feature a battery pack of 30kWh, which can last for about 300km on a single charge.
- Price – Estimated to be around Rs.14 lakh.
Apart from these, there are other cars that are receiving exciting facelifts in 2020, including Maruti S-Presso, Hyundai Elite i20, Datsun redi-GO, etc.
Thus, with so many hatchbacks available in the market, you can find one that can perfectly suit your needs without difficulty. Nonetheless, make sure you check each car-related detail carefully before making the expensive purchase.