How to Drive a Tractor: Steps Explained
India is an agriculture-oriented country. Tractors are used to carry fertilisers, seeds and many other units to a field. They are also used to carry goods. Tractors are specially manufactured to face the challenges that come up during farming.
Therefore, knowing how to drive a tractor properly is very important.
Keep reading to know more!
How to Drive a Tractor?
Individuals who want to learn how to drive a tractor, can refer to the following steps -
- Step 1 – Get in your tractor and insert the key.
- Step 2 – Press the clutch using your left foot until it touches the floorboard.
- Step 3 – Push the key and turn it on with the clutch still pressed.
- Step 4 – Press the clutch and move the gear shifter to first gear once your tractor is turned on.
- Step 5 – Release the clutch slowly, and your tractor will start moving.
- Step 6 – Press the accelerator slowly to boost the RPMs.
- Step 7 – Press the clutch and move the gear stick simultaneously to change gears.
- Step 8 – To stop your tractor, press the clutch and locate neutral on the gear stick.
- Step 9 – Once done, release the clutch and press brake using the right foot. This will stop your tractor.
Now that you know how to drive a tractor, let’s proceed to know about the safety measures to consider while driving a tractor.
What Are the Safety Measures to Consider while Driving a Tractor?
The safety measures that one should keep in mind while driving a tractor are –
- Know your tractor – A firm knowledge about which tractor is suitable for your needs and how to use it is very important.
- Only one driver – Tractors are single-seater vehicles, and no other rider other than the driver should be allowed to sit. If not followed, it might increase the chances of injury.
- Timely maintenance – Timely maintenance of the tractor is necessary for it to last long. Furthermore, the safety of a tractor depends on its maintenance.
- Rollover Protection System (ROP) – It is a system that prevents the tractors from sudden rollovers and overturns.
- Read the operator manual – Following the operator manual that comes with the tractor is essential because it has detailed information about the vehicle and how to use it.
What Are the Things to Consider while Driving a Tractor?
Here are some tips to consider while understanding how to drive a manual tractor –
- Always obey the traffic rules and local regulations.
- Maintain the speed limit when you are driving on roads.
- Make sure not to overload your tractor.
- When on public roads, don't use an attachment.
- Maintain proper distance from other vehicles while halting.
- Keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the steering wheel.
- Reduce your speed while you turn your tractor.
As the saying goes, “prevention is better than cure”, abiding by all safety measures after knowing how to drive a tractor is crucial. Therefore, follow these tips and measures to have a smooth and safe experience with your tractor.