You can file an income tax return offline or take the online route. However, only those taxpayers who are of 80 years of age or above can opt for an offline filing of ITR-2.
These individuals can, therefore, easily furnish returns by way of a physical ITR-2 form and a bar-coded return of details on income earned. Moreover, when an assessee submits this paper form, he/she receives an acknowledgement from the Income Tax Department.
One can choose to file ITR-2 online by following these steps:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of income tax e-filing.
- Step 2: Log in to this portal by providing your user ID (PAN), password, and a Captcha code.
- Step 3: Select the option of ‘e-File’ on the menu.
- Step 4: Click on the ‘Income Tax Return’ option.
- Step 5: Your PAN details will get auto-populated on the income tax return page. Now, go ahead and select ‘Assessment Year,’ and then ‘ITR Form Number.’
- Step 6: Select ‘Filing Type’ and click on the option ‘Original/Revised Return.’
- Step 7: Now click on ‘Continue.’
- Step 8: Here, you must read the instructions carefully. Then, proceed to fill the ITR-2 form by entering details in all the applicable and mandatory fields.
- Step 9: Remember to select the ‘Save Draft’ button periodically to avoid loss of data due to session time-out.
- Step 10: Choose an appropriate verification option in the tabs ‘Taxes Paid’ and ‘Verification.’
- Step 11: Opt for any one of the following options to verify your income tax return:
- E-verification within 120 days from the date of filing the ITR
- Verification by a signed ITR-V through the post within 120 days from the date of filing ITR
- Step 12: Click on ‘Preview and Submit.’ Here, you must verify the accuracy of all the data in your ITR.
- Step 13: Click on ‘Submit.’
- That concludes how to submit ITR-2 online.
- But wait, did you know that you can also file an online return with excel utility? Here’s how you can file ITR-2 online through this process.
- Yes, you can prepare your ITR offline using an excel utility and submit it online. To do so, simply follow these steps:
- Step 1: Visit the income tax e-filing portal.
- Step 2: Go to ‘e-Nivaran’ and select ‘Downloads’ at the top bar.
- Step 3: From the drop-down menu, choose the assessment year.
- Step 4: Proceed to download the Microsoft Excel file. Here, a zip file is downloaded.
- Step 5: Extract this file into your computer and open it. Select ‘Enable Content’.
- Step 6: Click on ‘Enable Macros.’
Step 7: Once the excel file opens, you must remember the following points:
- It is mandatory to fill in the red fields.
- Green fields are for data entry.
- Do not ‘cut’ or ‘paste’ data. So, do not use the ‘Ctrl + X’ and ‘Ctrl + V’ at any point.
- Step 8: Insert data under each tab and select ‘Validate.’
- Step 9: Validate all tabs of this ITR form and then calculate the tax.
- Step 10: Generate and save it as an XML file.
- Step 11: Now, go to the income tax e-filing website and login into the portal.
- Step 12: Here, continue following the same steps as discussed earlier.
- Step 13: After selecting the option ‘Original/Revised Return,’ click on ‘Submission Mode.’
- Step 14: Now, use the option ‘Upload XML’ and submit the excel file. Then, proceed to file ITR-2 as instructed earlier.