ITR-3 filing online is compulsory. You can file an ITR-3 online by following these step-by-step instructions:
- Step 1: The ITR-3 online filing process starts off with you visiting the official e-filing web portal of the Income Tax Department.
- Step 2: Log in to this portal by entering your user ID (PAN), password, and a Captcha code. However, if you are a new user, you need to first register an account with the portal.
- Step 3: Select the option ‘e-File’ on the menu and click on ‘Income Tax Return’ from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: This page auto-populates your PAN details. Now, go ahead and select ‘Assessment Year’ for which you are filing the ITR. Then, select ‘ITR Form Number’ and opt for ‘ITR-3’.
- Step 5: Choose ‘Filing Type’ as ‘Original.’ If you wish to file a revised return against a previously filed original return, then select ‘Revised Return.’
- Step 6: Find the option ‘Submission Mode’ and select ‘Prepare and Submit Online.’ Now, click on ‘Continue.’
- Step 7: At this point, you are required to provide details of income, exemptions, deductions as well as investments. Then, add the details of tax payments by way of TDS, TCS, and/or advance tax.
- Step 8: Remember to fill all data carefully and accurately. Additionally, click on ‘Save the Draft’ periodically to avoid losing any data.
Step 9: Select your preferred verification option from the following:
- Instant e-verification
- E-verification at a later date but within 120 days from the date of filing ITR-3
- Verification through a duly signed ITR-V sent to CPC (Centralised Processing Centre) via post and within 120 days of filing a return
Step 10: Select ‘Preview and Submit’, and then ‘Submit.’
A point to note here is that it is mandatory to verify returns electronically under digital signature for accounts requiring auditing u/s 44AB.
Furthermore, if one is required to submit a report of audit under specific sections, he/she shall file such a report electronically before filing the ITR. These sections are 115JB, 115JC, 80-IA, 80-IB, 80-IC, 80-ID, 50B, 44AB, 44DA, or 10AA.
Additionally, when you select the option ‘I would like to e-verify,’ you can opt for instant e-verification in any one of the following manners:
- Digitally sign the verification part
- Authenticate the process by way of an electronic verification code (EVC)
- Use your Aadhaar details to enter an OTP
- Authenticating through a prevalidated bank or Demat account
This is the detailed procedure regarding how to file ITR-3 online.
ITR-3 filing offline is only possible for select taxpayers. This includes people aged 80 years or more and individuals with an income of less than ₹5 lakhs.
Also, these taxpayers should not have any tax refund requests if they want to file this form offline.