- Hyundai I10
- Hyundai Santro Xing
- Hyundai Elite I20
- Maruti Suzuki Wagon R
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Maruti Suzuki Alto
- Ford Figo
- Volkswagen Polo
- Recent years
- New Car
What is CNG Kit: Price, Usability & Top RTO Approved Brands
CNG or Compressed Natural Gas is an environment-friendly gaseous fuel. It is an excellent affordable alternative to diesel and petrol. To make it more cost-efficient, you can also purchase a CNG kit from an independent seller and install it in your car to reduce fuel costs. This kit includes parts installed in a vehicle and operates it using CNG gas.
Here is a detailed discourse on the CNG kit price, installation process, and other details If you are looking to install this kit in your car.
Keep scrolling to know more.
What Is a CNG Kit?
To use CNG, you have to install a CNG kit in your petrol or diesel car. Else, you need to buy a CNG car. Installing a CNG kit in your existing car can be more pocket-friendly. A CNG kit consists of a refilling valve, pressure gauge, ECU or Electric Control Unit, and such other components.
Before opting to install a CNG kit, you must find out whether your car model is compatible to run on CNG.
What Is the Use of a CNG Kit?
The soaring price of petrol and diesel is one of the important reasons for vehicle owners in cities such as Delhi-NCR and Mumbai to use CNG conversion kits.
A CNG kit comes with a regulator, high-pressure tube, fittings, pressure gauge, hoses, hoses, clamps etc. It also includes a fuel switch over, which allows a driver to shift from gasoline to CNG by pressing a button. Remember, the CNG conversion cylinder and cylinder valve are sold separately.
Here is how a CNG kit works in a car. Take a look!
- The cylinder or fuel tank stores CNG gas and is installed at the back of your vehicle.
- The CNG fuel system releases high-pressure gas from the fuel tank and transfers it through the fuel lines.
- The pressure regulator reduces the pressure, which is compatible with the engine fuel injection system.
- Then, CNG transfers to the combustion or manifold chamber, mixing with air. The spark plug ignites the compressed gas and starts the engine.
Besides knowing what a CNG kit is and how it works, let’s delve deeper into a cost-benefit analysis of a CNG kit.
Is a CNG Kit Suitable for Your Vehicle?
A CNG kit comes with both advantages and disadvantages. Consider the following pros and cons of a CNG kit before finalising your purchase from a dealer –
- Affordable – Installing a CNG kit in your vehicle will prove to be cost-effective in the long run.
- Diesel cars are approximately ₹2 lakhs more expensive than their petrol counterparts. On the other hand, a CNG model costs ₹90,000 higher than a petrol vehicle. This is because it is excellent in fuel economy, resulting in low running expenses. If you intend to use your car for at least 5 years, equipping it with a CNG is ideal.
- Less pollution – It reduces carbon footprint by around 5% to 10% compared to a gasoline-powered vehicle. Thus, it is effective in reducing pollution.
- Adulteration-free – It is nearly impossible to adulterate CNG, unlike petrol and diesel. Adulterated fuel is not suitable for a car’s on-road safety. Moreover, CNG sales rarely involve fraud.
- Maintenance and installation cost is high – Buying a CNG kit is a one-time investment. However, its installation and maintenance cost is remarkably high.
- Selective availability of CNG stations –CNG fuel stations are not widely available in metropolitan cities. It is worse in remote rural areas. Hence, experts advise that you carry a backup of petrol or diesel on a long drive.
How to Choose a CNG Kit for Your Car?
A common dilemma among car owners is if they should purchase a company-fitted CNG kit or opt for a CNG kit from the market. The answer depends on the type and brand you choose while purchasing your kit.
There is a common myth that a company-fitted CNG kit delivers optimum performance and features improved longevity. However, automobile experts state that both offer similar performance.
Also, consider whether your CNG kit is compatible with your vehicle or not. There are two types of CNG kits available in the market –
- Venturi CNG Kit: This is an affordable option and an easy-to-install kit compared to others available in the market. It is suitable for any automobile, fuel-injected or carburettor driven vehicle. You can also install it without using an Electronic Control Unit. However, this kit needs frequent cleaning, which requires expert help. Therefore, it may appear affordable in the short term but incurs considerable expenses in the long run.
- Sequential CNG Kit: According to automobile experts, this is a better alternative. It has a separate Electronic Control Unit to control the flow of CNG gas to the engine unit. This ensures improved mileage performance. But this costlier kit is only suitable for
- fuel injection supported vehicles and is challenging to install.
Hence, select one that fits best with your budget and vehicle make and model.
Note: If your existing car is compatible with any CNG kit, you must ask for government approval for its installation.
You need to receive the “Fuel Change” Registration Certificate from local authorities. This process involves a considerable amount of time compared to when you want to install a CNG kit in your new vehicle.
There are other factors that your need to consider while installing a CNG kit –
- Select a credible brand.
- Invest in a reputed fitment centre to ensure the longevity of your CNG kit.
- Check warranty coverage.
- Opt for lesser paperwork.
Top 11 CNG Kit Brands Available in the Market
If you are wondering which CNG kit is the best, here is a list of 11 RTO-approved brands available across India –
- Lovato Autogas
Generally, car dealers use kits from one of these brands. Hence, research accordingly about CNG kit price, brand etc., to make an informed decision. If you plan to purchase a CNG kit from an independent seller, make sure to complete the paperwork before completing the installation. Also, do not forget to read about its customer feedback before moving ahead.
How Much Does a CNG Kit Cost?
The cost of a CNG kit depends on what type and brand you are selecting. A company-fitted CNG kit will cost you approximately between ₹60,000 and ₹70,000. Conversely, a sequential CNG kit from an independent seller will cost you around ₹40,000 to ₹50,000.
Remember, installing an aftermarket CNG kit eliminates the warranty coverage that you receive from a manufacturer. Every company-fitted CNG kit comes with an OEM warranty and is, therefore, comparatively more expensive.
At the same time, if you opt for an open-loop CNG kit, it will cost you around ₹15,000 to ₹20,000, inclusive of installation charges. The cost of a closed-loop is between ₹22,000 to ₹25,000. Additional expenses include maintenance charges and registration fees, among others. Registration charges, inclusive of RC Endorsement, amounts to around ₹2,000 to ₹3,000.
A CNG installed car requires a high insurance premium. The premium increases by 10% based on a car’s make and model. It will cost you around ₹1,200 to ₹1,500. Note that a CNG kit price may vary according to your locality and car’s make and model.
How Much Boot Space Does a CNG Kit Require?
The space occupied by a CNG kit on the vehicle’s boot depends on the size of your vehicle’s boot space and cylinder model. A CNG kit occupies at least 1/3rd of your vehicle’s boot space. However, you can install a carrier for convenience to compensate for your lost boot space.
Is a CNG Kit Safe for Your Car?
Installing a CNG kit is safe as it features a high-auto ignition temperature. The temperature is nearly around 540-degree Celsius in comparison to 360-degree Celsius of petrol. It reduces the chances of your car catching fire.
It also releases less carbon, making it more environment-friendly than petrol and diesel as well.
Also, another question that concerns a consumer is whether refuelling a cylinder is safe or not. The answer is yes. It is made according to specific international standards. The Chief Controller of Explosives also approves it before being sold in the market.
What Is the Mileage Capacity of a CNG Kit-equipped Vehicle?
The mileage capacity of a CNG-installed car depends on its make and model and driving habits. However, a cylinder with 50-litre water carrying capacity holds an average of 9 kilograms of CNG. It is equal to 12.5 litres of petrol. It allows you to drive approximately 150km-160km with an engine capacity of 1300CC of a medium-sized car.
An electronic fuel gauge fitted into your car’s dashboard helps you monitor how much CNG is available in the cylinder.
How Much Can You Save While Using a CNG Kit?
As discussed earlier, using a CNG kit is cost-efficient. On average, you can save up to ₹3 to ₹5 per kilometre. For instance, if your car covers nearly 30 kilometres per day, you will save approximately ₹40 to ₹50 daily and ₹1410 monthly. Your annual savings will be around ₹16,920.
Indraprastha Gas Ltd. says that CNG will offer a 68% savings on running costs than petrol and 50% compared to diesel. To increase your savings, make sure to perform thorough research of the CNG kit price, dealer and reviews before purchasing.