Get a Motor Insurance quote for your Car/Bike.
- Hyundai I10
- Hyundai Santro Xing
- Hyundai Elite I20
- Maruti Suzuki Wagon R
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Maruti Suzuki Alto
- Ford Figo
- Volkswagen Polo
- Recent years
- New Car
RTO Offices in Chandigarh
Chandigarh is one of the well-planned cities in India. It is known as one of the best experiments in urban planning and modern architecture in the 20th century in India. The city is a union territory and a shared capital of Haryana and Punjab. The Transport Department of Chandigarh operates as per the stated in Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
Official Website of RTO Chandigarh: http://chdtransport.gov.in/
CH-01 RTO Office in Chandigarh
The Regional Transport Officer (RTO), Sector 17, Chandigarh - 160017
Functions of RTO Offices in Chandigarh
As a government body a lot of functions of RTO are common but Chandigarh being the union territory certain functions may vary from other cities. Some of the functions of RTO Chandigarh are:
- Issuing Learner’s Licence.
- Issuing Permanent Licence.
- Renewal of DL.
- Issuing of a duplicate licence.
- Registering the vehicle.
- Issuing temporary and permanent RC.
- Issuing duplicate RC.
- Renewal of RC.
- Re-registration of RC in case of inter-state purchase.
- Accepting request for transfer of ownership.
- International Driving Permit.
Departments in RTO Chandigarh:
The administrative setup of RTO Chandigarh is divided into departments namely Registration & Licencing Authority (RLA) and State Transport Authority (STA). The functions divided and assigned to the respective departments to make the process a whole lot smoother!
Registration & Licencing Authority: This department is responsible for the Issuance of Driving Licence and Registration of Vehicle. Under which the functions are:
- Learner’s licence
- Regular driver’s licence.
- Duplicate Licence.
- Renewal of driver’s licence.
- International driver’s licence.
- Registration of a new vehicle.
- Renewal of Registration Certificate.
- Duplicate Registration Certificate.
- Transfer of ownership.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC).
Types of Driving Licence issued in RTO Chandigarh
- Licence for LMV: The licence holder of this can drive cars, jeeps, three-wheelers, van, etc. These vehicles come under Light Motor Vehicle.
- Licence for Heavy commercial vehicle: The licence holder gets a legal permit to drive heavy, goods, or passenger vehicles that are used for commercial purposes.
- Two-wheeler with gear: This gives the licence holder the legal permit to ride bikes and scooters with gear. This falls under MCWG (Motor Cycle with Gear)
- Two-wheeler without gear: The licence holder can ride two-wheelers that come under MCWOG (Motor Cycle without Gears) such as moped bikes, scooters without gears, etc.
- Two-wheeler with an engine capacity of 50cc or less: The form of licence where an applicant as young as 16-year-old or above can apply. The application for this type of licence requires legal consent of the parents or guardians of the applicant.
Note: Cab and Auto Rickshaw drivers do not need a separate commercial driving licence to operate. Their personal LMV licence is enough to fulfil the legal mandates.
Types of Vehicle Registration in RTO Chandigarh
The two types of vehicle registration offered in RTO Chandigarh are:
- Temporary Vehicle Registration: A vehicle dealer issues this registration when a new vehicle is purchased and can be used within the first 7 days from the date of delivery of the vehicle with an extension up to a month. After that, the vehicle owner must apply for a permanent registration card.
- Permanent Vehicle Registration: It is a must to have a valid vehicle registration certificate issued by the RTO office as soon as possible. The same is issued to the applicant after the proper submission of required documents.