How to Cancel PAN Card – Cancellation Process Explained
Do you own multiple or PAN cards?
Since the government has mandated the linking of Aadhaar with PAN cards, owning multiple PAN cards can land you in a lot of trouble. A smart solution can be cancelling or surrendering additional PAN cards.
Keep scrolling to learn the steps for PAN card cancellation.
Reasons for PAN Card Cancellation
The PAN is a 10-digit unique identification number allotted to every tax-paying individual. While a PAN Card has your PAN, name, birth date and photograph.
There can be various reasons for PAN card cancellation, including but not limited to -
- Multiple PAN Cards - Having multiple PAN cards is considered a crime. Therefore, the Income Tax Department deactivates the additional PAN card.
- False PAN Cards - The Income Tax Department also cancels the cards issued against false information and documents.
- Foreigners - Individuals who don’t reside in India need to surrender their PAN cards to the Income Tax Department. This is done to prevent misuse by others.
- Deceased - PAN card of a deceased is cancelled when their nominees apply, along with a copy of the death certificate.
Let’s check how to deactivate a PAN card with easy steps.
How to Cancel a PAN Card?
If you plan to apply for PAN card cancellation, get a hold of the PAN card cancellation form first. It can be accessed both online and offline.
Here’s how to cancel a PAN card online with simple steps -
1. Visit the NSDL portal and click on “Apply for PAN Online”.
2. Choose “Correction in Existing PAN Data” under “Application Type”.
3. Fill in relevant details in the PAN card cancellation form. On the redirected page, mention all cards that you want to surrender and click on “Submit”.
4. Make online payment and download this application for future needs.
If you are unable to complete PAN card cancellation online, opt for the offline method.
Here’s is a step-by-step guide for it -
1. Visit the official NSDL portal and select a new pan card request or correction in PAN data.
2. Select a link to download the form.
3. Submit this form at the nearest NSDL with copies of the necessary documents.
4. You will get an acknowledgement slip after submitting the form.
You also need to file a letter with an Assessing officer citing duplicate PAN details and requesting cancellation. In addition, you should know that an officer can ask for an affidavit stating that there are no additional cards.
It is advisable to check the PAN card cancellation request letter format before applying. This letter should state the details clearly.
You can hand over or post the letter to the nearest tax office. However, do remember to keep a note of the acknowledgement number.
How to Check the PAN Card Cancellation Status?
Ideally, you will receive an acknowledgement slip after applying to the NSDL for PAN card cancellation online. This letter should reach the office within 15 days of filing a request.
It is advisable to keep a tab on the status. Here’s how-
1. Visit the income tax portal and click on “Know Your TAN/PAN/AO” under “Quick Link”.
2. On the redirected page, fill in all relevant details, such as gender, name, birth date and contact number. Click on “Submit”.
3. Enter the OTP received on your registered number for validation.
The PAN card status will display on a screen.
You may need to submit additional information to know the PAN card cancellation status.
Every taxpayer should know the reasons for a PAN card deactivation application and steps for the same. In addition, you should be aware that you are liable to pay a penalty of ₹10,000 under Section 272B of the Income-tax Act, 1961, for having more than one card.
To avoid such penalties, opt for PAN card cancellation sooner.