As already mentioned, NRIs with or without Indian citizenship can apply for a PAN card. However, the list of documents they need to present might differ.
Here are the basic documents NRIs with Indian citizenship need to attach along with their PAN application Form 49A -
- Identification proof like Aadhaar card, Voter ID or Driving License.
- Address proof like passport copy, bank account statement in the resident country or NRE bank account statement copy, which shows a minimum of two transactions in the past six months.
- 2 recent passport-size photographs.
- Copy of PIO (Person of Indian Origin) or OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card.
A foreign citizen wishing to apply for a PAN card with an Indian office address also needs to present the above documents along with Form 49AA. However, they need to submit the following additional documents as well.
- Appointment letter copy issued by the Indian office.
- An authorised copy of the original address certificate of an applicant issued by his or her Indian employer.
- PAN card details of the employer for online verification.
Further, if an NRI pays the fee for a PAN application via offline mode like demand draft, he or she needs to attach the same during the application process.