How to get a Duplicate PAN Card?
A PAN card is an indispensable document for every taxpayer in India and losing or misplacing one can cause serious inconveniences. However, cardholders need not fret too much in such a situation. Nowadays, they can easily get a duplicate PAN card online to serve similar purposes.
In case you currently find yourself in a similar situation, here is a detailed discourse. Get to know everything about duplicate PAN cards and when and how to apply for one in the right way.
Let’s get started!
What is a Duplicate PAN Card?
A duplicate PAN card is a document that individuals can get from the IT Department as a replacement for the original document. In this regard, many individuals tend to question the validity of a duplicate PAN card. Thereafter, they proceed to reapply for an original one.
However, you must know that this duplicate document is as equally valid as an original PAN card. Cardholders can use this document everywhere without any issue. At the same time, getting a PAN card duplicate copy is a comparatively easier process than applying for a new card.
When do you need to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card?
To err is human. For a card that you need to carry around in your bag or wallet frequently, the odds of misplacing it are high. Therefore, if your card is stolen, accidentally lost, or damaged, you can apply for a duplicate version. This can save you the time and hassle of reapplying for a new PAN card all over again.
Another instance when you can apply for a duplicate document is if there is a change in information. This includes a change in address, signature, and other details over time. The only viable option, in that case, is reprinting the PAN card.
If you are unsure about how exactly to continue with the above process, keep reading!
Duplicate PAN Card Application Process
The foremost thing you should do after getting your PAN card misplaced or stolen is filing an FIR. After completing the process at your local police station, you can proceed to apply for a duplicate PAN card either online or offline.
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Online
- Step 1: Go to the official portal of TIN-NSDL.
- Step 2: Under ‘Apply Online,’ choose the ‘Application Type.’ Since you want a duplicate PAN card online, select the ‘Changes or Correction in Existing PAN Data/Reprint of PAN Card (No Changes in existing PAN Data)’ option from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Now, select your PAN card type from the drop-down menu under “Category.”
- Step 4: Next, fill in the fields for your name, date of birth, contact information, and PAN. Enter the security code and hit ‘Submit.’
- Step 5: The next screen will display your token number, which you will also receive on your email ID. Note this number and click on the ‘Continue with PAN Application Form’ button following it.
- Step 6: The next page will redirect you to the duplicate PAN card online application form.
- Step 7: Fill in all fields with accurate details under the 3 sections of ‘Personal Details,’ ‘Contact & Other Details,’ and ‘Document Details.’ Under the first section, you will get to choose between digital and physical document submission. You can also choose whether you want to get a duplicate PAN card in its physical form or an e-PAN card.
- Step 8: After filling in the duplicate PAN card application form online with the necessary information, click on ‘Submit.’
- Step 9: Next, you will be redirected to the payment section, where you can complete the process via net banking, debit/credit card, or demand draft. Thereafter, you will receive an acknowledgement number for future reference.
In case you do not have the means to apply for a duplicate PAN card online, you can complete the process offline as well.
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Offline
- Step 1: Visit the official NSDL or UTIITSL portal. Download the application form for ‘Request for New PAN Card and Changes or Correction in PAN Data.’
- Step 2: You can then print it out and manually fill it using BLOCK letters and black ink.
- Step 3: Provide your 10-digit PAN.
- Step 4: Attach 2 passport-sized photographs along with your duplicate PAN card application form in case of an individual applicant. Cross-sign these photos, being careful not to cover your face in them with your signature.
- Step 5: Attach copies of other necessary documents, sign wherever necessary and send them to the NSDL centre.
Also, make sure to complete the required payment. You will receive your acknowledge number shortly afterward.
Upon completing the above process, you can track duplicate PAN card status until you receive the document.
How to Check the Status of a Duplicate PAN Card
You can follow these given steps to keep yourself updated on the progress of your offline or online application for a duplicate PAN card.
Step 1: Visit the TIN-NSDL website to track duplicate PAN card status.
Step 2: Choose ‘PAN-New/Change Request’ from the drop-down menu under ‘Application Type.
Step 3: Enter your acknowledgement number and security code.
Step 4: Click on ‘Submit.’
The next screen will display the status of your duplicate PAN card application.
In case you have opted for the paperless mode of receiving this document, you can also download a PAN card duplicate copy online.
How to Download a Duplicate PAN Card
You can follow this step-by-step guide to download lost PAN cards online.
- Step 1: Go to the TIN-NSDL website.
- Step 2: Provide the acknowledgement number you received after the duplicate PAN card online application.
- Step 3: Hit the ‘Generate OTP’ button.
- Step 4: Provide the OTP sent to your mobile number. Thereafter, click on ‘Validate.’
- Step 5: Choose the ‘Download PDF’ option to get your e-PAN card.
In case you do not remember your application acknowledgement number, you can download the document using your Aadhaar card as well.
How to Download a Duplicate PAN Card Using an Aadhaar Card
Follow these steps to download your e-PAN using your UID number.
- Step 1: Go to the TIN-NSDL website.
- Step 2: Enter your Aadhaar number, PAN, and date of birth. You can also enter GSTIN, but it is optional.
- Step 3: Enter the security code and click on ‘Submit.’
- Step 4: On the next page, you can select the option to generate OTP.
- Step 5: Enter the OTP received on your mobile number in its designated field, and click on ‘Validate.’
- Step 6: Thereafter, you can click on ‘Download PDF’ to get your duplicate PAN card online.
While going through this entire process of application and receipt of this document, do not forget to provide every necessary document. If you are not already aware of the required documents, keep reading.
What Are the Documents Required for a Duplicate PAN Card?
Here is the list of documents required for a lost PAN card. Note that all of these documents must be self-attested.
- ID proof, like Aadhaar card, Voter ID, driving license, or passport
- Proof of residence, like any KYC document and utility bills
- Age proof, like birth certificate, passport, matriculation certificate, etc.
- Copy of original PAN card
Submitting the above documents for a duplicate PAN card can ensure a smooth and successful application process to get a duplicate PAN card online. However, note that under no circumstances can an individual hold more than one PAN card at a time. Therefore, if you find yourself in a similar situation, like getting a reprint of a damaged PAN card, make sure to surrender the dysfunctional document.