How to Update PAN Card Details: Online and Offline
PAN cards are vital to keep a tab on financial transactions by the Income Tax Department. Additionally, you can use PAN cards as identity proof.
Any mistakes in the card can cause future problems related to income tax or others. Therefore, it is mandatory to apply for PAN correction online and offline in case of any mistakes.
In this informative piece, we will explain the various ways in which you can update PAN card details in both online and offline modes.
Also, learn how you can check PAN correction status.
How to update PAN card details online?
To update PAN card details online, you can download the PAN card correction form online and change your incorrect name, address, etc., by paying a small fee.
Here are the steps to follow for PAN correction.
- Visit the Tax Information Network (TIN) portal of National Securities Depositories Ltd. (NSDL).
- Upon selecting the “Services” tab from the menu, you need to tap on the “PAN” drop-down menu.
- On the new page, you will notice a “Change/Correction in PAN data” located at the top of the page.
- You will find an “Apply” link under the above-mentioned section. After clicking on it, you will land on the “Online PAN Application” page.
- Now you will need to proceed by selecting the drop-down menu named “Changes or Correction in PAN Data.”
- From the above drop-down, select “Category.”
- At this stage, you need to fill up the application by entering details as given below:
- Surname or last name
- First name
- Middle name
- Date of birth
- Mobile number
- Email ID
- 10-digit PAN
- You will need to type the “Captcha code” and click on “Submit.”
- Upon submitting, you will receive a token number on your mail ID.
- Click on “Continue with PAN Application Form” to reach the PAN correction application form page.
- For document submission, select “Submit through e-sign or e-KYC.”
- Now you will have to provide personal details like father’s and mother’s number and Aadhaar number.
- Upon clicking the “Next” tab, you will reach a page where you need to enter your contact details.
- Here you can change the present address of your PAN.
- Next, you need to proceed to the “Document Details” page.
- Submit all the necessary documents as proof from respective tabs.
- There will be a self-declaration box on the screen. Click on it and tap the “Submit” option.
- Once submitted, you will land on the payment page.
- By choosing the appropriate option, you can complete the payment procedure.
- You will receive an acknowledgement slip.
- Finally, to complete the PAN correction online, you will need to take a printout of the acknowledgement slip and upload it to the NSDL e-Gov’s Income Tax PAN Service Unit with other vital documents.
How to do PAN card correction offline?
Offline PAN card correction is hassle-free and simple if you follow these steps:
- You will need to download the PAN card correction form offline from the official website of NSDL.
- Fill the entire form properly without any mistakes and submit the same with essential documents at any nearest NSDL collection centre.
- After your submission and payment, you will receive an acknowledgement slip from the authority.
- You need to send this slip to the Income Tax PAN Service Unit of the National Securities Depositories Ltd.
- Also, send a letter to the jurisdictional assessment officer regarding the application.
Note: For both offline and online PAN correction procedures, the following fees are charged:
- Contact address within India Rs.110.
- Contact address outside India Rs.1020.
Furthermore, the acknowledgement slip should reach the NSDL office within 15 days of receiving the slip.
The procedure for PAN card name correction
Multiple occasions can lead to a PAN card name change. Such occasions are misspelt names, incorrect names and name change after marriage. In such a case, you can apply for a PAN card name change online by following the steps given below:
- Go to the official website of NSDL and download the PAN card name correction form to fill it up online.
- After properly filling up the form, submit it by affixing a photograph of the applicant.
- You will reach the payment gateway from where you need to make the payment.
- In case of PAN card name correction online, you can make the payment via net banking or credit or debit card. However, for offline payment, you need to make a demand draft and send it to the address of the NSDL office along with your application form.
- Finally, after payment and submission, you will receive your fresh PAN card within 45 days.
Note: In case of filling up application forms online for address change and authenticating the same by Aadhaar OTP, you cannot change the address because, by default, the address in your Aadhaar is taken. Therefore, you need to get your address updated in the Aadhaar card first and then fill up the form for address change in PAN.
Essential documents required for name change in PAN card
There are several documents necessary while you are opting for PAN correction online or offline. Based on the cardholders, the requirement of documents changes. Here are some lists of documents required to change the name in a PAN card for different categories of cardholders.
Indian Citizens and Hindu Undivided Family
Government-issued ID card
Tax assessment documents
Domicile certificate by Central Government
Any other Government-issued ID
Taxpayer identification card
Taxpayer identification card
Bank account statements
FRO issued Registration Certificate
Type of Company
Limited liability partnership
LLP issued Registration Certificate
- Married women should submit a marriage certificate or invitation card for a name change. Certificate from a gazetted officer, or publication of name in the official gazette, or copy of passport containing husband’s name is also acceptable. For individuals other than married women, a certificate from a gazetted officer or supporting data showing the publication of name in the official gazette are the PAN card name correction documents required.
- For PAN correction online, companies should present a certificate of ROC for a name change.
- LLPs and firms can submit the firm registrar’s certificate or revised partnership deed for PAN name correction.
- Local authorities or trusts must present a revised deed or Registration Certificate while applying for a name change on a PAN card.
How to check PAN correction application status?
After successful payment of PAN correction fees, you will receive an acknowledgement slip containing a 15-digit number. This number is used to track your PAN card correction application status from the official website of NSDL.
PAN card is an important document as the IT Department can assess an individual’s or a company’s tax liability, thereby preventing tax evasion. When you apply for a PAN card, many discrepancies can occur concerning the information you provide. Therefore, it is vital to have a thorough idea about the procedure of PAN correction online and offline to update correct information all the time.