How to Get a PAN Card for Students
Want to find out how to make a PAN card for students?
PAN card is an important certification for paying taxes, getting tax refunds, opening bank accounts, etc. Moreover, the PAN card can be used as legitimate identity proof.
Generally, students above 18 years can apply for a PAN card as a regular adult, but minor students can also apply for one through their parents. Moreover, students typically apply for PAN cards to take out student loans, etc. Note that there is no such thing as a student PAN card. There is only a regular PAN card of which students can avail.
Moreover, want to know which documents are required for a PAN card for students? Read here!
How to Apply for a PAN Card for Students?
First, a student can either apply for a PAN card as a minor or as a regular adult depending on whether you are below 18 or older.
Student PAN card applying can be done either online or offline. Details regarding the application methods are given below.
How to Apply for a Student PAN Card Offline
Steps for the offline method of applying for a PAN card are given below:
- Step 1: First, download a copy of Form 49A from the NSDL or UTIITSL website.
- Step 2: If you are a minor, you will need to tick the option for a ‘Minor PAN Card.’ Moreover, your legal guardians will also need to be informed of the same.
- Step 3: However, if you are an adult, you can continue applying for a regular PAN card.
- Step 4: Further, you will need to collect the IDs and address proofs as mentioned in the form.
- Step 5: Then submit all documents and application fee.
- Step 6: Next, send the filled-in and signed form to the nearest TIN facilitation office.
Finally, you will receive a PAN acknowledgement number. Keep this number safe to track the status of the PAN card.
Moreover, you will receive your PAN card by post to the address provided in the form.
However, this final step will occur only once the application has been verified and processed by the authorities.
How to Apply for a Student PAN Card Online
Here’s how to apply for a PAN card for students online. You can do so via two websites. The steps are given below.
Via NSDL Website
Students applying for a PAN card via the NSDL website will need to follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Go to the NSDL TIN website.
- Step 2: Then, click on the Apply for PAN online tab among the Quick Links.
- Step 3: Then, carefully read the instructions on how to fill up the application form. Once you have read the instructions, you can begin the process of filling up the form.
- Step 4: Further, select the “Application Type” from the drop-down menu. Select Form 49A for Indian citizens living in India or, as the case may be for you.
- Step 5: Next, select the appropriate category (Individual, Trust, Company, HUF, etc.) from the drop-down menu. For students, it should be “Individual.”
- Step 6: Then, fill in the online form with details such as full name, email-id, date of birth, phone number, etc.
- Step 7: Enter the captcha code and click on the “Submit” button.
- Step 8: You will then have to fill in more details and attach the required documents before final submission.
- Step 9: The website will generate an automatic acknowledgement number containing a tracking reference number. Use this to track the PAN status online.
- Step 10: Further, take a printout of this page and paste your passport-sized photograph in the space provided. Sign the form and send it to the NSDL address with copies of supporting documents.
NSDL will verify the application, and your PAN card will be delivered by post. Moreover, you can regularly track the status.
Via UTIITSL Website
Another online method for applying for a PAN card for students is via the UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited website.
UTIITSL is also a mutual fund distributor, but they are permitted to make a PAN card. Students applying for a PAN ca through the UTIITSL website can follow these steps:
- Step 1: Visit the UTIITSL website.
- Step 2: Select “PAN Card Services” from the options available at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 3: Select “PAN Card as an Indian Citizen/NRI” from the options provided or as the case may be.
- Step 4: Then select the “Apply for a New PAN Card (Form 49A)” button.
- Step 5: There are two ways in which you can deposit the form. One is the “Physical Mode,” where the applicant has to deposit the signed form at a UTIITSL local office. And the other way is the “Digital Method”, where the student can apply digitally via Aadhaar, eSign mode, or DSC mode.
- Step 6: Then, the student will have to select the category for which they are applying. It will be “Individual,” in this case.
- Step 7: Further, you can also choose between receiving a physical PAN or an e-PAN, or both.
- Step 8: Fill in the details such as personal details, document details, contact and parent details, address, and other details.
- Step 9: Finally, you need to upload all the supporting documents. On entering all the information and supporting documents, click “Submit.” An acknowledgement will be auto generated.
- Step 10: Print this page and send it to the UTIITSL office address with copies of supporting documents.
Depending on the verification method you have chosen, you must have pasted two photographs, attached the documents as proof, and signed the form. Also, you can opt for Aadhaar-based verification.
Depending on whether a student has chosen the physical PAN card or the e-PAN card, they will receive the document in due time. There may be a slight delay because of the pandemic. Otherwise, if the documents are true, students will receive their new PAN cards in time.
Which Documents Are Required to Apply for Students' PAN Card?
A PAN card for students requires no special documents if the student is an adult. However, if he is a minor, their parents will handle the PAN card application process. The documents required for a minor’s PAN card can be found by searching for “documents for minor PAN card.”
These are the documents required for PAN card for students:
Documents for Proof of Identity
Students need to have at least one of the below documents. In addition, PAN card documents required for students as proof of identity are:
- Aadhaar card
- Bank certificate signed by the bank manager
- Driving license
- Voter’s ID
- Original ID certificate attested by an MLA or a Gazetted Officer
- Ration card having a photograph
Documents for Proof of Residence
For proof of address, students need to have any one of these documents. The PAN card documents required for students as proof of identity are:
- Aadhaar card
- Bank account statement which is not older than three months
- Letter of Allotment Accommodation issued by the Central or State Government, which is not older than three years
- Credit card statement which is not older than three months
- Driving license
- Electricity bill
- Gas connection bill
- Government-issued Domicile Certificate
- Original Certificate of Address attested by a Gazetted Officer or MLA
- Post office passbook containing the applicant’s address
- Telephone bill which is not older than three months
- Voter ID card
Details of how to click a good passport picture can be found here. Students can follow the rules mentioned there and take a good shot.
What Are The Uses of PAN Cards for Students?
There are plenty of uses for PAN cards, even for students. For example, with a PAN card, a student can avail of the following:
- A student can use a PAN card to open a bank account.
- Moreover, they can use it to avail of a student loan for higher education abroad or at home.
- To buy a motor vehicle priced more than Rs. 5 lakhs, you need to provide a PAN.
- Also, you will need a PAN card if you are applying for a credit or a debit card.
- And most importantly, you will also need a PAN for foreign exchange.
What Are The Benefits of a PAN Card for Students?
There are plenty of benefits when you apply for a PAN while you are still a student. These benefits are:
- The chief advantage is that a PAN card acts as a photo-ID proof for public exams.
- Another benefit is that it is a lifelong ID card, unlike a passport that needs renewal after the stipulated duration.
- It is also useful in filing IT returns and investing in mutual funds.
Therefore, a PAN card for students is a very useful document. Eventually, everyone who is engaged professionally will need to have a PAN card. So students might as well apply for one today.
Therefore, get ready to make that PAN card for students today!