15 Best Small Business Ideas for Women
India has witnessed remarkable growth in women entrepreneurs in the last decade. With the help of their entrepreneurial abilities, women have taken a stride and created multiple job opportunities for people in the market. While there are many options that allow running a business from home apt for those who are also looking after their family, there are other options where women can fully be working businesswomen.
Let us look at some of the key business ideas for women so that they can choose accordingly, depending on their knowledge, skills and experience.
List of Business for Ladies with Low Investment
If you are a woman looking to leave your full-time job and want to build an income source from a brick-and-mortar or home-based/office business, here you go. Follow this exclusive list of unique business ideas for ladies:
1. Cloud Kitchen
One of the best business ideas for ladies if you love to cook and feed is starting a cloud kitchen business. It is not only a unique business idea but much in demand these days. You must focus on delivery and take-out service as these are primary factors to consider in this business.
- Investment: ₹25 lakhs to ₹30 lakhs.
- Resources: You require a space for the setup, equipment, website and marketing strategy.
Benefits of Starting a Cloud Kitchen Business:
- You do not need hosts or servers that will significantly decrease your labour costs.
- Cloud kitchens also reduce some expensive elements of developing and opening a physical restaurant.
- You can operate more than one brand from a kitchen.
- Market Demand: The Indian cloud kitchen market will grow at a CAGR of 24% to reach USD 1.9 billion by 2026.
- Profit Margin: 20% - 25%.
2. Yoga and Meditation Centre
Yoga and meditation are becoming increasingly popular among people these days, making it one of the most interesting small-scale business ideas for women. Maintaining fitness and a healthy lifestyle is essential in today's busy working schedule. Finding time to visit a gym can be difficult if they are at a long distance from home. So, here you can benefit people by opening a nearby yoga and meditation centre.
- Investment: ₹5 lakhs to ₹20 lakhs.
- Resources: You require a space for your yoga and meditation sessions, equipment, furniture, a website and a marketing plan.
Benefits of Starting a Yoga and Meditation Business:
- You learn and teach your customers the process of being rooted in one's principles.
- You try to understand various concerns and find solutions for a healthy lifestyle.
- The yoga and meditation business aims at all kinds of people. It allows you to have a massive client base.
- Market Demand: The global yoga and meditation market is estimated to reach US$ 20,532.44 million (Approx. ₹1678.57 million) by 2032, expanding at a CAGR of 18.10%.
- Profit Margin: 15% - 25%.
3. Content Marketing Agency
One of the most profitable business ideas for women, a content writing/marketing agency is a valuable digital marketing service. Consider content writing as a business opportunity if you are knowledgeable in the field of SEO writing. You can train people or hire someone already trained to start your agency.
- Investment: ₹50000 to ₹10 lakhs.
- Resources: You require office space, equipment, furniture, a marketing plan, and website building.
Benefits of Starting a Content Marketing Business:
- This business allows you to work on multiple formats and media.
- It helps you to understand the upcoming market trends and work accordingly.
- Great content will position your company as an authoritative company in this industry.
- Your business becomes more visible, thanks to SEO.
- Market Demand: The global content marketing industry forecast will be $107,540.6 million (Approx. ₹8791.01 million) by 2026, increasing at a CAGR of 14.3%.
- Profit Margin: 23% - 27%.
4. Online Courses
If you possess a skill that you feel can create value in the life of others, you must consider creating and selling online courses. You can sell your preferable online courses on your website and ask people to subscribe. However, if you want to expand your business and want other experts or educators to contribute, create a marketplace.
- Investment: ₹50000 to ₹12 lakhs.
- Resources: You can have software, equipment such as a laptop and a Wi-Fi connection, furniture, a website and a marketing plan.
Benefits of Starting an Online Courses Business:
- You can pursue a career that focuses on your passion project.
- Students and working professionals are your customer base.
- This business allows you to stay updated with the upcoming trends and can acquire knowledge in your field of study.
- Market Demand: The global e-learning market size is estimated to grow to USD 648.6 billion (Approx. ₹5296914 billion) by 2030, with a CAGR of 13.5% over the forecast from 2023 to 2030.
- Profit Margin: 6% - 10%.
5. Arts & Handicrafts
The art and handicraft industry are India’s 2nd largest income-generating sector. The country produces different art & craft including art metal wares, zari work, embroidery, hand-printed textiles, woodware, sculptures, pottery, glassware, etc. Most of the product manufacturers of this industry are based in small towns and rural areas, offering great market potential in all Indian cities and abroad. So, if your passion lies in creating beautiful crafts, enrol in a handicraft course and start your business.
- Investment: ₹30000 to ₹5 lakhs.
- Resources: You require a proper space for artisans to work, furniture, handicraft tools and products, a website plan, and correct marketing tools to promote it.
Benefits of Starting an Art and Handicraft Business:
- You offer several services under one roof, hence creating massive potential.
- You can reuse/recycle waste materials to create unique artwork.
- It improves your skills and creativity, establishing you as an experienced business owner.
- You adapt according to the new market trends, thus, expanding your knowledge in this sector.
- This business requires minimum investment and is eco-friendly.
- Market Demand: The global handicrafts market in India stood at USD 704.7 billion in 2022. This sector will witness a CAGR of 11.8% from 2023 to 2028. It might reach USD 1376.12 billion (Approx. ₹11261.85 billion) by 2028.
- Profit Margin: 5% – 20%.
6. Travel and Tourism
These days, several women are striving to create exclusive travel businesses. Be it sharing the best holiday deals, planning budget holiday packages for different occasions or guiding a solo traveller to an offbeat destination, the travel business has several potentials. So, if you love to travel, consider starting a tourism business.
- Investment: ₹1 lakh to ₹15 lakhs.
- Resources: You require office space, travel equipment, a website building and marketing plan, and experienced professionals to handle your clients.
Benefits of Starting a Travel and Tourism Business:
- One of the primary benefits is you can travel as much as you can!
- This business allows you to meet and connect with diverse people and understand the market trends in travelling.
- You can customise the travel plans and guide your clients to beautiful off-beat locations.
- This business allows you to crack corporate and personal travels.
- Market Demand: The Indian travel agency service will reach US$ 59.5 billion (Approx. ₹486 million) by 2028, exhibiting a CAGR of 8.71%, during 2023-2028.
- Profit Margin: 10% - 15%.
7. Online Bakery
In India, the online food business is one of the most profitable small ventures. If you love to bake, you can make money by sharing delicious homemade recipes. The best part is that you can start right from your kitchen only with a few ingredients.
- Investment: ₹80000 to ₹3 lakhs.
- Resources: You need space to work, bakery tools, equipment and products, a website and a marketing plan.
Benefits of Starting an Online Bakery Business:
- You can start from your kitchen, as this business offers a quick and easy setup. This reduces the initial investment.
- This business allows flexibility, as you can put as much time into the business as you wish.
- You can offer a massive collection to your clients and customise it accordingly.
- This business allows you to crack corporate events, weddings and several other places with a huge customer base.
- Market Demand: The online bakery business in India will develop at a CAGR of 8.5% by 2026 and will reach a value of $12.39 billion (Approx. ₹101309.93 billion) by 2026, making bakeries a very profitable business concept.
- Profit Margin: 30%.
8. Website Designing Agency
Website designing is another valuable service since several businesses treat their websites as fully-functional alternatives to their brick-and-mortar stores. If you have that urge to create a perfect balance of aesthetics and functionality through creativity, you can develop a website design agency.
- Investment: ₹1.50 lakhs to ₹8 lakhs.
- Resources: You will require office space, infrastructure, furniture, a website and a marketing plan.
Benefits of Starting a Website Designing Business:
- You can start a website designing business by building a setup at your home.
- You can interact with several corporate clients, nationally and internationally.
- This business allows you to learn and develop according to the changing market trends.
- Market Demand: The global website development market size was estimated at USD 60709.6 million in 2022 and might grow at a CAGR of 8.08%, reaching USD 96748.41 million by 2028.
- Profit Margin: 50%.
9. Beauty Care
Women love indulging in beauty care and can build a profitable business. You can have your own spa or salon, nail art studio or bridal makeup studio to cater to the specific requirement of your clients.
- Investment: ₹50000 to ₹15 lakhs.
- Resources: You must have a proper business plan and structure, salon space, furniture, beauty tools and products, website plan and marketing strategies to advertise your business.
Benefits of Starting a Beauty Care Business:
- You offer several services under one roof, hence increasing footfall.
- There is a loyal customer base that reduces your marketing costs.
- Your business benefits from word-of-mouth marketing.
- You adapt according to the new market trends, thus, expanding your skills and knowledge in this field.
- Market Demand: The marketplace for the global spas and beauty salon market is predicted to grow from USD 230.64 billion in 2023 to USD 383.88 billion by 2030, with a CAGR of 7.55% between 2020 and 2030.
- Profit Margin: 20% - 60%.
10. Interior Decoration
Indians are nowadays choosing new house decor and designs due to the infusion of cultures and international trends. If you have an eye for interior design and get compliments from people visiting your home, it is a sign that you have skills in interior décor. You can start your own interior designing business by developing a website detailing all information about your business.
- Investment: ₹60000 to ₹10 lakhs.
- Resources: You need a proper business plan, office space and equipment, website plan and marketing strategies to promote it.
Benefits of Starting an Interior Decoration Business:
- The start-up cost is relatively low in this sector.
- You can work on several projects allowing your creative aspects to flow.
- There is always an opportunity to expand your skills and knowledge with new trends, products and techniques hitting the market.
- You benefit from word-of-mouth marketing.
- Market Demand: The marketplace for interior decor in India was valued at USD 23.2 billion in 2020, and it is considered to grow to USD 38.2 billion (Approx. ₹312351.85 billion) by 2027. It is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.4% from 2021 to 2027.
- Profit Margin: 35% - 40%.
11. Image Consultation
Some people prefer to present themselves in certain ways, while others might not. You can use this idea to assist people by starting an image consultancy business. From advising people on clothes to wear to guiding them on accessories according to current fashion trends, this is one of the best business ideas for fashion-conscious individuals.
- Investment: ₹8 lakhs to ₹13 lakhs.
- Resources: You must have an office, furniture, website and marketing plan.
Benefits of Starting an Image Consulting Business:
- The start-up cost is relatively low as you can begin from your home.
- You can partner with hairstylists, makeup artists, trainers, and life coaches.
- You can build a large client base and add business to your list of clients.
- Market Demand: The global image consulting business might reach $4.3 billion by 2027, with a CAGR of 6.7% by 2027.
- Profit Margin: 85% - 90%.
12. Apparel & Clothing
Opening your fashion label is one of the best business ideas for women. You can ace your fashion game by starting a boutique. However, if you want to design your merchandise and have it in the market, you must have adequate knowledge about this industry. If you wish to start small, try the stitching and embroidery business.
- Investment: ₹2 lakhs to ₹5 lakhs.
- Resources: A space to work (you can begin from home), equipment, furniture, website and marketing plan. Also, hire experienced professionals to handle your customers.
Benefits of Starting an Apparel and Clothing Business:
- It is a skill that most women in rural areas have. Therefore, you can visit rural areas and engage special artisans to understand unique design concepts.
- You meet several individuals and understand the market trends in the fashion industry.
- This business aims at all kinds of people. It allows you to have a large customer base.
- Market Demand: The global apparel market might grow to $830.69 billion in 2027 at a CAGR of 6.2%.
- Profit Margin: 30% - 60%.
13. Wedding Planning
Wedding planning is a business idea as you can work with several clients, helping them prepare for their special day. If you are an expert at managing things and love to plan weddings, start your venture with a minimal investment. You can begin by organising weddings locally.
- Investment: ₹5 lakhs to ₹15 lakhs.
- Resources: You require office space, infrastructure, website building and marketing plans.
Benefits of Starting a Wedding Planning Business:
- This business allows you to start with minimum investment.
- You can provide several services under one banner.
- Wedding planners can interact with several people. It boosts the client base.
- Market Demand: The global wedding planning market size is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.0% during the forecast period from 2021-2030.
- Profit Margin: 10% - 15%.
14. Jewellery Designing
If you have a knack for designing jewellery, you can start a business in this sector. One of the most competitive markets, jewellery design requires a bit of studying about the market. You can begin your business by selling locally. Moreover, understanding the market and fashion trends is equally important as you create new designs.
- Investment: ₹10 lakhs to ₹15 lakhs.
- Resources: You require a space to work, raw materials, furniture, a website plan and a marketing strategy.
Benefits of Starting a Jewellery Designing Business:
- As a business owner, it is one of the best business ideas for women as it exposes you to services like trade shows and exhibitions.
- This business allows you to be part of a community and socialise with several individuals.
- As you purchase materials in bulk, it lowers your raw material cost.
- Market Demand: The global jewellery market size might expand at a CAGR of 4.6% from 2023 to 2030.
- Profit Margin: 42% - 47%.
15. Boutique Cafes
We all dream of owning our boutique café one day. A relatively low-cost business to start, opening a boutique café that allows you to meet and greet several individuals can be a great option. You can begin from the small balcony, decorating the space and transforming it into a cosy cafeteria.
- Investment: ₹15 lakhs to ₹20 lakhs.
- Resources: You require a space to set up the business, equipment, furniture, website building and marketing strategy.
Benefits of Starting a Boutique Café Business:
- This business allows you to be part of a community and socialise with several people.
- You can introduce a variety of delicacies to attract more customers.
- You can tie up with several brands to enhance sponsorships.
- Market Demand: The full-service restaurant market can be valued at US$ 1.51 trillion in 2023 to reach an expected valuation of US$ 1.93 trillion by 2033, growing at a CAGR of 2.5% during the forecast period.
- Profit Margin: 25% - 40%.
How to Choose a Business Idea for Women?
Before venturing, there are a few essential things you must consider. These are as follows:
- Understand the Area of Interest: Find your area of interest, things you are passionate about or what the market requires. It will help to narrow down your options and choose the exact business idea.
- Watch Videos and Read Reviews: The more you watch videos and read reviews, the more you understand the market needs and the crisis points.
- Talk to People: Communicate and interact with people in your locality to understand what issues/concerns your local communities are facing. You might get a unique business idea from this.
- Develop Your Skills: If you have a skill, polish it and develop it into a business idea. However, you can research it to understand whether it has a market demand.
Considering all these options, proceed with your idea and never fear to think out of the box.
Things to Consider Before Starting Your Business
Before making the jump into the world of entrepreneurship, there are a few things you must take into consideration:
- Capital Investment: Before you plan, it is essential to consider the amount of capital you have and the amount you want to invest. It is not feasible to build a business if you do not have enough funds to take you through for a year or so.
- Target Market: Consider your target market and plan a business aligning with their needs. Understand whether a particular product or service has any requirements. It will set you apart from the competition.
- USP: Every business has a unique aspect that sets them apart from others and makes them grow. Your business must have that unique selling proposition to attract potential customers.
- Research: It is necessary to research the market trends so that you change according to the market needs. It will help you in shaping your business idea.
- Develop a Business Plan: A proper business plan serves as a roadmap for some of your business ideas. It outlines your goals, strategies, and financial projections. Without an adequate business plan, evaluating your progress and making necessary adjustments will be challenging.
- Trusted Advisor: Assemble a trusted team for support and guidance as you sail through the challenges of starting your venture. Choose expert people with diverse backgrounds to benefit from various perspectives.
So, now you have an idea of the best business ideas for women. The market demand and profit margin vary depending on the business idea. However, the investment amount also varies according to your expansion plan. You can start any business from your home and build a website to reach your potential customers. Try promoting your business through various social media platforms to reach a maximum number of people.