Terms and conditions apply*
Calculate GHMC Property Tax in Hyderabad & Online Payment
GHMC stands for Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation. GHMC property tax is levied so that the municipality can provide basic amenities or facilities in the neighbourhood.
This article looks into details of GHMC property tax, such as how to pay it, how to get the receipt, etc. Consider it your one-stop destination for everything related to the property tax in Hyderabad.
What is the GHMC Property Tax in Hyderabad?
Let’s start with the basics! GHMC property tax is the tax levied by the Hyderabad Municipal Corporation on any property owner (residential and non-residential) in the Greater Hyderabad region. All property owners in the Greater Hyderabad locality are supposed to make this payment once a year.
However, there is a GHMC property tax exemption wherein some persons do not have to pay the property tax.
How to Calculate GHMC Property Tax?
The GHMC property tax is calculated irrespective of whether you live in the property or have given it out on rent. The tax that is collected depends on the following factors:
- Property under-construction property or not
- Gender of a property owner
- Age of a property owner
There are two types of properties that the GHMC takes into account. The first is the residential properties, and the second is the commercial properties. Let’s find out to pay GHMC property tax for both these options.
1. Residential property tax in Greater Hyderabad
Property tax in the Greater Hyderabad region can be calculated using the following formula.
Property tax on residential property in Greater Hyderabad = Gross Annual Rental Value (GARV) x [(17% to 30%) tax rate according to slab based on MRV – 10% depreciation] + 8% library cess
GARV = Plinth area x [MRV (in Rs/sq ft) x 12]. Here, MRV refers to monthly rental value
- If you occupy the building, determine rent per sq feet for similar properties in your neighbourhood, and if you have leased the property out, refer to the rent stated in the rental agreement.
- The monthly rental value is calculated based upon the general tax, conservancy tax, lighting, and drainage tax. Here is the table that shows how much monthly rental value per sq. ft has to be paid.
Monthly Rental Value per sq. ft
Up to Rs. 50
Between Rs. 51 and Rs. 100
Between Rs. 101 and Rs. 200
Between Rs. 201 and Rs. 300
Rs. 300 and above
2. Commercial property tax in Greater Hyderabad
Here’s how to do the GHMC property tax calculation for commercial properties.
Property tax on commercial properties = 3.5*plinth area in sq. ft*Monthly Rental Value in Rs. per sq ft.
For the following GHMC property tax payment is given on the GHMC website.
ATMs, cellular towers, and hoardings are taxed as per the commercial property tax in Hyderabad at a monthly maximum rent of Rs. 70 and Rs. 50 per sq. ft. respectively.
Educational institutes and hospitals are charged at a monthly rent of Rs. 8 and Rs. 9.50 per sq. ft. respectively.
Check out an article about what is Property Insurance and why it is important?
How to Pay GHMC Property Tax
Luckily Greater Hyderabad provides two methods for the GHMC property tax payment. Pay either through offline and online methods.
Step by step online payment process
To pay the GHMC property tax online in Hyderabad, follow these steps:
- Login to the GHMC website or use this link https://onlinepayments.ghmc.gov.in/.
- Enter your PTIN (Property Tax Identification Number) number and the registered contact number for OTP generation.
- Now, click on a button that says: “ Know property tax dues.”
- Verify various details mentioned on the screen such as taxable amount, your arrears, interest on arrears, adjustments, etc.
- Once you have verified all the details, select the preferred mode of payment and complete the transaction.
- After completion of the transaction for GHMC property tax online payment, you can print out the receipt.
- However, note that you cannot print out a receipt for any offline payments.
Follow these steps to make the GHMC property tax online payment.
Step by step offline payment process
You can make the GHMC property tax details offline as well. Just visit the following branches and you can make the payment there.
- MeeSeva Centres
- Citizen Service Centres
- GHMC Bill Collectors
- Any state bank of Hyderabad branch
These are the documents that you will have to carry when you set out to pay your GHMC property tax offline.
- Occupancy certificate
- Sale deed attested by a gazetted officer
- Demand draft or cheque to the GHMC commissioner
- Copy of the building plan
What is the last date to pay the GHMC Property Tax?
The GHMC property tax due date is on July 31 and October 15 of every year, and it is the last date of the half-yearly GHMC property tax payment.
Where to find GHMC Tax Payment Details?
You can very easily find the GHMC property tax details on the GHMC property tax website. In the “Know your property tax due” page enter other details like PTIN Number, Name of Owner, and the Door No. From the list of properties, select your property as per the owner name, and then you will get the GHMC property tax payment details.
In the above link, you will also get the GHMC property tax details by door number.
How to get GHMC Tax Application number?
To get a tax application number or a property tax identification number (PTIN), you will first need to get your property assessed by the government. There are two ways in which you can do this.
1. Offline assessment of property
The applicant has to apply a couple of documents such as:
- Registered sale deed/ gift deed/ partition attested by gazetted officer
- Link documents attested by gazetted officer
- Occupancy certificate
- Building sanction plan (Xerox)
An application has to be made to the Deputy Commissioner/ CSC for the assessment of Property Tax.
The tax inspector will inspect the building physically and determine whether all the claims hold true. Then a unique PTIN is generated along with a brand new house number.
2. Online assessment of property
GHMC has allowed for an online GHMC property tax application status to be submitted and checked online. You can submit an application for assessment by providing the following details online.
- Building Permission Number
- Occupancy Certificate Number
- Locality Name
- Nature of the Building
- Use of building
- Plinth area
Based on the following details, you will get an approximate yearly tax rate that will be displayed. This application will be forwarded to the Deputy Commissioner, and a concerned VO/TI/BC authority will inspect the premises and allot a new PTIN.
How to get GHMC Property Tax Receipt / Challan?
The GHMC property tax payment receipt can be received online and offline as well. When you pay the tax online, you can easily print it out on this link - Website Link
So, how to download the GHMC property tax receipt?
Just enter details of your PTIN and you will get the receipt. You can then print it out at your convenience.
Exemptions of GHMC Property Tax Payment
There are some exemptions to GHMC property tax. These are as follows.
- Properties owned by military servicemen or ex-employees are given 100% exemption from paying tax
- Holy places like churches, temples, mosques, or any other religion need not pay any tax on their properties
- Renowned educational institutes and those owners of residential properties who get less than Rs. 600 as rental income are wholly exempt from property tax
- Owners of vacant property get a 50% concession
- Property owned by charitable organisations
- Landlords having an annual income of less than Rs 5 Lakh.
What happens if you delay the GHMC tax payment?
In case of a delay of the GHMC property tax status, you will need to pay an interest of 2% per month on the due amount.
You can use the GHMC property tax calculator online to calculate the tax or use the formula that we have specified above to gauge the amount of tax you have to pay.
These were the GHMC property tax details for any Greater Hyderabad resident who wants to pay up their property tax. We made the process simplified and understandable for you, so clear that due tax today!